mtbr member

WTB i23 rims + WTB Vigilante tyres

As WTB i23 rims are so popular in the forum have any of you tried WTB vigilante tyres? .. Cannondale Big Ride #2 in the Books, Tui Taken by Jerome Clementz and Ben Cruz | WTB ive just come back from the local bikeshop (dh/enduro oriented owner) and he has been selling these like hotcakes. He said guys are using them for everything from general use to 24 hour enduro races. The kinda look like a Muddy Mary, but less DH oriented. Im going to give them a go. report back later.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    As WTB i23 rims are so popular in the forum have any of you tried WTB vigilante tyres? .. Cannondale Big Ride #2 in the Books, Tui Taken by Jerome Clementz and Ben Cruz | WTB ive just come back from the local bikeshop (dh/enduro oriented owner) and he has been selling these like hotcakes. He said guys are using them for everything from general use to 24 hour enduro races. The kinda look like a Muddy Mary, but less DH oriented. Im going to give them a go. report back later.
    Please do, they are a good looking tire, although a bit narrow.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looking forward to your report. I have been using a muddy mary out front for about a year and it's been the best front tire for all around conditions. I'd like to try the vigilanty as a cheaper lighter option.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Looking forward to your report. I have been using a muddy mary out front for about a year and it's been the best front tire for all around conditions. I'd like to try the vigilanty as a cheaper lighter option.
    It kind of looks like a MM clone.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Yes it does look like a MM clone and I loved that tire on the front. I was worried about the size but saw one fitted to a new Cannondale and it has good volume and width. I was about to give them a try but they are not cheap and I decided to give the Rubber Queen a run first. I would also be interested in rider feedback.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    ive changed up a bit (from what I said above), after advice from a pro enduro racer, I decided to try slighty narrower tyres on slightly wider rims than usual for me. the result on the endo has been brilliant. on the endo im running 2.3 spesh butcher control and 2.3 spesh purgatory control on the i23s (23m inner width), going to put the 2.3 vigilantes front and rear on the chili which has dt swiss fr600 rims (25.5 inner width). was out on the i23 spesh on the endo yesterday and what a difference, very light, very fast, and down damp slippy conditions I had more grip than ive had before and what felt like bare minimum drag, it felt so good. the vigilantes width wise are narrower than a 2.4 big betty and wider than 2.3 butchers...id say they were right in the middle, the vigilante profile on the fr600s looks perfect, looks the same shape as the i23 spesh set-up. Width/profile wise the vigilantes are looking more enduro than freeride (unlike the big betty) so they are as they state on the tin. the sidewalls on the vigilantes look indestructible and I think this is where the weight factor comes in (theyre same weight as the bettys). I compared the vigilante to a muddy mary in the shop and found two differences first the side knobs are different, on the vigilante they turn in a bit, on the muddy mary they are straight, and second the knobs are less tall on the vigilante. I can see how the vigilante would be suited to dh type enduro as they tough, light, slighty lower profile than the bulky 2.4s out there and have a tread profile/pattern that's built for grip in intermediate conditions (all but the foulest conditions). the rubber on the team version that I have is quite sticky (like an HR super tacky) and looks perfect for uk riding. as the chili is being rebuilt (it was getting grimy) wont be back out on it until later this week so report back in a month or so when I get some mileage in with the vigilantes (f & r)...
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    ive changed up a bit (from what I said above), after advice from a pro enduro racer, I decided to try slighty narrower tyres on slightly wider rims than usual for me. the result on the endo has been brilliant. on the endo im running 2.3 spesh butcher control and 2.3 spesh purgatory control on the i23s (23m inner width), going to put the 2.3 vigilantes front and rear on the chili which has dt swiss fr600 rims (25.5 inner width). was out on the i23 spesh on the endo yesterday and what a difference, very light, very fast, and down damp slippy conditions I had more grip than ive had before and what felt like bare minimum drag, it felt so good. the vigilantes width wise are narrower than a 2.4 big betty and wider than 2.3 butchers...id say they were right in the middle, the vigilante profile on the fr600s looks perfect, looks the same shape as the i23 spesh set-up. Width/profile wise the vigilantes are looking more enduro than freeride (unlike the big betty) so they are as they state on the tin. the sidewalls on the vigilantes look indestructible and I think this is where the weight factor comes in (theyre same weight as the bettys). I compared the vigilante to a muddy mary in the shop and found two differences first the side knobs are different, on the vigilante they turn in a bit, on the muddy mary they are straight, and second the knobs are less tall on the vigilante. I can see how the vigilante would be suited to dh type enduro as they tough, light, slighty lower profile than the bulky 2.4s out there and have a tread profile/pattern that's built for grip in intermediate conditions (all but the foulest conditions). the rubber on the team version that I have is quite sticky (like an HR super tacky) and looks perfect for uk riding. as the chili is being rebuilt (it was getting grimy) wont be back out on it until later this week so report back in a month or so when I get some mileage in with the vigilantes (f & r)...
    Be sure to get some photos of the Vigilantes mounted up. I'd like to see how they look.