Knollician

WTB I23/I25 rims

Anyone have experience with these? I have now had 3 tires blow off the FlowEX. My initial concern with the FlowEX was the very low bead hook, and it seems to be genuine. The WTB I25 seems to be the same rim, but with a true UST bead hook. Never seemed to have tires blowing off my Mavic 819s.

I did run some higher pressures today, I will see if that helps. I have also considered trying the Bontrager SE4 tires, but doubt they will compare to the Chunky Monkeys for which I love so much.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I have had Hadley's on flows and now have I9s on i23s. I prefer the i23s. Easier to mount up tires with a floor pump and no blow offs at all. I had a couple of disconcerting blow offs on the flows. I23s are lighter I think but can't say I noticed the difference.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I have had Hadley's on flows and now have I9s on i23s. I prefer the i23s. Easier to mount up tires with a floor pump and no blow offs at all. I had a couple of disconcerting blow offs on the flows. I23s are lighter I think but can't say I noticed the difference.
    Thanks wilks, just the kind of feedback I am looking for. How is the quality of the I23? Do you notice the seam? Are you running Stans yellow tape?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

WTB I23/I25 rims

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Thanks wilks, just the kind of feedback I am looking for. How is the quality of the I23? Do you notice the seam? Are you running Stans yellow tape?
    The WTB i23 is a high quality rim. I have not even looked for the seam, or noticed it.

Stan's tape does not work, too narrow. I used the recommended WTB 28mm rim tape. Tubeless use with UST compatible bead tires has been flawless, as is standard tires with tubes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The WTB i23 is a high quality rim. I have not even looked for the seam, or noticed it.

Stan's tape does not work, too narrow. I used the recommended WTB 28mm rim tape. Tubeless use with UST compatible bead tires has been flawless, as is standard tires with tubes.
    Thanks Shiggy. Seems strange to run 28mm tape on a 23mm rim. Does the tape run up to the bead? 30mm tape required for the i25?

mtbr member
    I'm just using Stan's tape. No issues whatsoever. Been running 2.35 Hans dampfs and various specialized tubeless ready tires with 100% success. I'm 200 lbs. rocky rooty east coast trails. Running 20-23 psi front 25 psi rear.

mtbr member
    Opposite with me. Burped every tire off my 819s and switched to flow. No blows yet..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Countless burps with my flow ex in the rear. After I finally destroyed the rim I switched to i23. Not a single burp since. I am a happy customer with them so far.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was considering the i25 for my next wheel build also. I have WTB Laserdisc FRs on my freeride bike, which were on my FR hardtail for 3 seasons before, and I never had to true them, no flatspots and the finish is very durable. 30mm outside, i-beam, unbendium bulge, etc... all nice features that make for a strong rim. They were really well build up by a good wheelbuilder, but still, I really trust these rims. Never burped a tire on those either, and I ride in east coast rocks all the time.

The i25 looks like an updated and lighter (500g vs 565 for the LD FR) version of the Laserdisc FR. I bought Alex Supra Ds to change a Mavic 521 on another wheelset, and it feels cheap and didn't build up as nice as the WTB.

I'd recommend the i25 without hesitation.

mtbr member
    i haven't owned i23's yet but im doing new wheel builds (both on the endo, front on the chili, both on the podium) and have been round the houses. took a very long time to decide as usual ..to cut a long story short im waiting for the i23 koms or e13 tr race rims (both out end of this month, both alloy+scandium, both 400g each) for the endo. putting spank spike 28 evo race rims (whistler tough, 500g each) on the podium.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    "think hedgehog not starfish" - delirian

mtbr member
    I have been riding the i23s for a while. They have been great for me. I am not the smoothest rider and put my rims into the rocks pretty often. The i23s have held up well to my abuse and I'll keep buying them. After two years I am on my second rear, but still the original front. I have had some burps, but really I think they were related to my bad luck with rear tires (see a pattern here?)

The key is having a wheel builder that understands how you are going to ride the rim. I went through 3 823s in one year with a builder that built wheels the way he liked them. My builder now is very aware of the hell I put my rims through and maintains my wheels superbly.

It is too bad that they hold up so well, I would really like to try the KOMs or even the i25s.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    For those burping tires on Flows, could you please list the psi you think you were at? If using a digi gauge, lemme know.
    Thanks.

FTR, I have a FlowEX on the front of my Endorphin after my i23 developed a bunch of eyelet cracks. No burps or issues running around 30 psi. I still have an i23 on the rear that has lasted over a year with a number of Enduro races and a general crapload of riding. I think I got my first good dent last weekend at the moab ho down.

Next wheel build will probably be with the scandium wtb rims.

mtbr member
    release of the koms has been put off until feb here, cant wait that long, just bought a pair of standard i23's for the endo...
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    "think hedgehog not starfish" - delirian

mtbr member
    I know the quality and setup are top notch, and so easy. Used WTB tape and presta. No riding experience yet on the i23. They are going on my chili as soon as the frame shows up.
    The Green Bastard