Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Knollician

A WOODIE for my Chili

Currently running a CCDB coil on the Chili and love it. More recently I upgraded my Lyrik with the Avy cartridge and it is amazing, leading me to realize the CCDB is lacking just a bit in the high speed department. A quick call, to Craig and about 40 minutes later I had this beauty on order. I have had a Chubie and a DHS on Turners in the past, both were excellent, so I can only imagine how this is going to work with the Knolly.

I tend to subscribe to the "bigger is better" motto, and this certainly is bigger. The reservoir is actually larger than the shock body Plenty of oil in there. I am a bit concerned about fitment, though my initial measurements say it will fit, but I will find out in a few hours. I will try to provide a good comparisons between the shocks, though I think they will be subtle at best.

photo
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Excellent. Keeps us informed.

mtbr member
    mamma bear, that is some hot seks.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Your the test pilot for the Chili's

Knollician
    Just weighed it, 2lbs exactly with a 500lb coil.

mtbr member
    Cool! Keep us posted!!!

mtbr member
    Avy shocks are awesome. I was wondering why Craig recommended the Woody over the Chubie for the Chili?

I have been running a Fox dhx with the Avy tune and I have been very pleased; as with the Avy shocks I have run in the past.

While you are at it could you give us an update on your Avy Lyrik? I am very tempted but the $400 is hard to swallow.

Thanks.
    TG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post

While you are at it could you give us an update on your Avy Lyrik? I am very tempted but the $400 is hard to swallow.

Thanks.
    TG

Haha, funny you mention that b/c I emailed him just the other day asking about it, after really enjoying my DHX Avy (thanks again for the recommendation BTW. )

I rode a friends 888 on his DHR last weekend, and it had the Avy cart in it. OMG, that was the best feeling fork I have EVER felt, hands down. It was ridiculous.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

%$#$*!
    Massive! Looking forward to reading your comparisons.

What the ----?
    Sweet shock!

Knollician
    Whoa! A bit if a tight fit. There is actually some space in there. It fits fine in the slack setting which I never run. The useless parking lot test was rather enlightening. I only have a square curb to hit, but it handled it easily as well as the CCDB, probably better. I may have to dial up a few clicks of LSC to get the pedaling performance of the CCDB. The shock does ride higher, probably due to the heavier spring. I can't wait to get out this weekend and tear it up!

IMG_4433

IMG_4434

IMG_4436

IMG_4437

Perpetual Hack
    Damn, that be nice.
    Even having a CCDB, those things do hold my interest. 'bout the only thing that does!!
    Whats the weight difference between the CCDB and Avy.

Looking forward to the review!!

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Avy shocks are awesome. I was wondering why Craig recommended the Woody over the Chubie for the Chili?

I have been running a Fox dhx with the Avy tune and I have been very pleased; as with the Avy shocks I have run in the past.

Thanks.
    TG
    Chubie vs. Woodie - The Chili is a rising rate suspension. As such, Craig recommends the Woodie since it is a more linear shock. The Chubie is better suited for bikes that have a falling rate and need the IFP to provide additional ramp/bottoming resistance. The Chili needs no such thing, and the Woodie allows for additional HSC tuning with the larger reservoir.

The Avy Cartridge - damn good. It is actually one of the reasons I began to explore this option of the Woodie. The cartridge has pointed out a few flaws in the CCDB which I have been unable to dial out. The cartridge has converted what I think is one of the best damped forks on the market, and blows it away. Being open bath, the fork feels much smoother now, isn't divey, and I am near certain you couldn't tell it is an air fork. It is so linear and smooth, yet has a beautiful hydrolic ramp at the end, without being spikey. I don't think you will find an aftermarket fork on the market that will come even close.

I spoke to Craig about his DHX kits, and he said is is getting Woodie performance out of them. He is really excited about it, and the it has done very well for him. I know a few guys here have it and are blown away.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Damn, that be nice.
    Even having a CCDB, those things do hold my interest. 'bout the only thing that does!!
    Whats the weight difference between the CCDB and Avy.

Looking forward to the review!!

michael
    Yeah, Avy is the only shock I think that is a step above the CCDB. Having the Avy cartridge, I couldn't get past the idea of having a fully Avy'd bike The Avy weighs 2lbs exactly with coil and hardware. Not sure what the CCDB weighs, but it can't be much more or less. I think the Avy coil is actually lighter. Seems like the CCDB has a tighter coil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are going to LOVE the Avalanche Woodie
    I currently have an Avalanche DHS shock on my V-Tach along with an Avalanche DHF-8MT fork... I also have an Avy cartridge in my Totem thats on my Delirium T that is soon going to have Craigs valving in the RC4 shock...

I tell all my friends that as much as I like the fork, I'm even more impressed with Craigs shock

and I mean that too!!!!! not only are they incredibly plush, but they are soooo durable..Just look at the difference in the shaft diameter on the two shocks in the pic above..

My V-tach came with a CCDB and the first thing I did was put the DHS shock on it

my friends and I have been running Avalanche forks and shocks for over ten years !!!
    hitting big drops every week !!!!
    I can honestly tell you that none of us has ever had a problem not even a leaking seal
    Avalanche products are insanely reliable !!!!!

thanks Craig and i'll be talking to you soon about getting my RC4 done

Knollician
    Simple fix to the tight issue above...I just moved the cable to the outside of the cable stop. Simple and no modifications

IMG_4438

IMG_4440

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice

can't wait to read your review myself...

goodluck with it and nice bike

mtbr member
    Holy sheeeeiittt that is a tight fit!!!

mtbr member
    What about turning the shock upside down? Depending on the pieces it may provide a bit more room.

mtbr member
    Someone asked earlier, my backup (well backup until I sell it) CCDB coil with a 500 lb steel spring and the Chili mounting hardware is 889 grams.

mtbr member
    Really enjoy your write ups and looking forward to your next review. Interested to hear how the front now jives with the back.

I had the SSD mod done to a DHX Air. I'm pretty damn impressed, the only other shock I can compere it to is the ELKA that I had my One before hand. Although sometimes I find it to be a little progressive, the SSD DHX continues to remain very consistent, predictable and lively. At this stage I cant see myself switching back to the Elka anytime soon.

Man, if Craig was to do a cartridge for Marz's 55's I'd happily drop the $$$ tomorrow.

mtbr member

Avy's

Craig really knows his sh*t when it comes to suspension.....and he'll talk to you about it for hours. I have had the Woodie on my bikes since my Delirium T. It really outperforms all of the other shocks for the Knolly suspension. As you described, it works well with the progressiveness of the Knollys. I had a Canfiled Jedi and the shock that came with it just didn't work. I talked to some people and they recommended the Woodie, so I spent a few hours talking to Craig and he set me up with the Woodie. It transformed the bike and I was sold. Tempted to get the Avy cartridge for the 40, but I already love that fork. Got the "Woodie" on my Podium and Delirium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A WOODIE for my Chili-avys.jpg  

[SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Having the Avy cartridge, I couldn't get past the idea of having a fully Avy'd bike
    Just sent my DHX 5.0 for the SSD AVY treatment and that was one of my concerns. Once the shock is working really well..... am I going to be disappointed in the 66RC3ti up front..... thus necessitating the AVY cartridge to "balance things out"?

Darn you, Craig!
    Last edited by KRob; 08-23-2012 at 06:57 PM.

RideDirt
    Avy is the way to go for sure

mtbr member
    Geez, I am way behind,
    I havent get my Chili yet and you guys are already talking upgrades,

Nice setup Tisser
    Can't wait for your ride report
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast