Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

winter sunshine riding - recommendations?

I'm going to miss this years Knollfest. I would have loved to have been able to fly over meet new people and ride those amazing looking trails but work commitments mean this years fortnight away needs to be from about the 21st Dec to the 4th of Jan. Any suggestions where's good to go riding during the festive season, sunshine has to be 95% guaranteed! Im still considering South USA and Mexico, not sure what other options there are...be good to find a sunny place with an uplift some days...whats your favourite winter hot spots?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    a few of my mates did malaga in spain, said it was great.... theres always la palma and tenneriffe.... portugul... if you wanted to go further,,,,, maybe america, not sure if moad is rideable all year round, amd sure one of the locals on here could give an answer. mexico,,,,, jamaica,,,, or any where in south america... chille ecudor peru,,, argentina. brazil. how about new zealand, thats a rapidly up and coming riding hot spot.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have good luck in Hurricane UT, Las Vegas area NV, Sedona and Phoenix AZ.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I'll be heading to Sedona for 3 week over X'mas/NYE. I've never been let down there for decent weather and great riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'll be heading to Sedona for 3 week over X'mas/NYE. I've never been let down there for decent weather and great riding.
    If my Chilco comes in BY THEN, we are too. Had to miss a trip these past two days with buddies in Sedona cuz I have no FS. Maybe we can coordinate some rides. We can all hit Hangover with our 780 and 800mm bars…. As they did yesterday!

BTW, we here in New Mexico have sooo much sunshine. We are all blessed in the SW.

mtbr member
    For sure I'd love to ride with some other folks. I'll PM you my email.

BTW - I don't ride uber wide bars so you'll be on your own there...maybe I can demo a Knolly that ride...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    For sure I'd love to ride with some other folks.
    +1 ..if it turns out that i'm going to be in the area i'll give you guys a shout..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    +1 ..if it turns out that i'm going to be in the area i'll give you guys a shout..
    Great. I'll PM my contact info. Are you from the UK? My GF is English just came back from a visit to London.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great. I'll PM my contact info. Are you from the UK? My GF is English just came back from a visit to London.
    Im from Edinburgh, Scotland, but live in Peebles now as its the best place for a mountainbiker to live in UK

mtbr member
    You'll enjoy the traction you get in Sedona compared to winter MTBIng at home. I live on Vancouver Island in Canada so I bet our winters are similar.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You'll enjoy the traction you get in Sedona compared to winter MTBIng at home. I live on Vancouver Island in Canada so I bet our winters are similar.
    Your winter makes ours look mild, but at this time of year its damp, frosty mornings, 3C max, and rains when it gets warmer, its very grey, atm they will be similar I think. We only get snow for a month or two max, usually jan - march. its very changeable. 2 years ago at Christmas I had my jacket off and was cycling in a t-shirt at altitude... other years, at the same time of year, you don't get near the trails for 8 feet of snow. Climate in Scotland is actually most like New Zealand (poor NZ! )just our summer and winter seasons are at the opposite time of year from each other..

mtbr member
    I moved to the US from England as I like to see the sun between Novenber and March.

Pivoteer
    330+ days of sun. Enough said.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    330+ days of sun. Enough said.
    Sorry but having been to Phoenix many times for me at least it's way too hot in the summer. I assume you guys ride super early in the summer months?

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Sorry but having been to Phoenix many times for me at least it's way too hot in the summer. I assume you guys ride super early in the summer months?
    Yep, we usually ride about 6:00am. Need to be off the mountain by 9:00 or so. Actually riding during the summer is not bad until the Monsoon shows up and the humidity goes up. We have 8 perfect months of riding, 1 or 2 good months, and 2 or 3 months that are tolerable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yep, we usually ride about 6:00am. Need to be off the mountain by 9:00 or so. Actually riding during the summer is not bad until the Monsoon shows up and the humidity goes up. We have 8 perfect months of riding, 1 or 2 good months, and 2 or 3 months that are tolerable.
    You are so lucky. My world is like this a lot of the time: winter sunshine riding - recommendations?-p5pb9681840.jpg
    Last edited by cfrench; 11-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I moved to the US from England as I like to see the sun between Novenber and March.
    ..where about in England are you from Wilks?

mtbr member

I'm a Suffolk boy. Only ridden Thetford Forest in the UK. as i got into mtn biking after moving here 18 years ago. I really want to ride some of the UK trail centres. Here's a pic from yesterday's ride. Excuse the non Knolly pic and you can see the weather yesterday in NJ was typical British type weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    drop me a line if you can make it to the Scottish borders (Glentress and Innerleithen), all welcome. nice, the forests are so pretty in the autumn too, glentress is a picture at this time of year, the slippy leaves make it more fun aswell. im in the middle of a fleet re-build but planning to post some local pics up here very soon.

mtbr member

I will! Problem when I go back is that I don't get any time to myself.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are pretty good in the winter. It may rain but the trails systems hold up very well. It becomes hero dirt!!!

mtbr member
    Hit Laguna if you are doing a Southern California run. We speak Scottish!

Well, maybe not, but we have lots of fun trails for any type of bike and we're open 355 days a year (most trails are closed on the few days a year of heavy rain).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post

Well, maybe not, but we have lots of fun trails for any type of bike and we're open 355 days a year (most trails are closed on the few days a year of heavy rain).
    haha.. Its not Scottish we speak, its "Jockanese" ..have you got a zip I can plug into google so I can see where the trails are on the map..

mtbr member
    I'm looking into Colombia. I hear riding is great and it's pretty cheap. Dry season is dec to feb
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    haha.. Its not Scottish we speak, its "Jockanese" ..have you got a zip I can plug into google so I can see where the trails are on the map..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jamaica.

Austin, TX if you're into technical terrain, craft beer, TexMex, and BBQ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If I could stretch to 21 days, maybe this would be the plan, any thoughts on which trails to do on the different legs of the journey?:

Pheonix (3 days)
    Sedona (5 days)
    Utah (2 days)
    Sedona (5 days)
    Pheonix (3 days)
    South California (3 days)

Pivoteer
    If I could stretch to 21 days, maybe this would be the plan, any thoughts on which trails to do on the different legs of the journey?:

Pheonix (3 days)
    Sedona (5 days)
    Utah (2 days)
    Sedona (5 days)
    Pheonix (3 days)
    Less time in Sedona, more time in Moab

mtbr member
    Less time in Sedona, more time in Moab
    In Dec?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    does this look better:

Pheonix (4 days)
    Sedona (3 days)
    Moab (7 days)
    Sedona (2 days)
    Pheonix (2 days)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In Dec?
    Snow?

mtbr member

Pheonix (3 days)
    Sedona (5 days)
    Utah (2 days)
    Sedona (5 days)
    Pheonix (3 days)
    I'd look up a couple solid bike shops in each destination and drop in on them when you get there. They'll know current conditions and what is prime to ride based on your bike and interests.

They'll have maps and get you sorted out.

In Sedona I like the Fat Tire Bike Shop and Bike and Bean in particular.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Snow?
    Moab is pretty far north and you won't be able to ride the higher elevation trails due to snow. I like Moab in the fall when the higher elevations are free of snow and the temperatures are cooler without being cold. It's not a spot I would mess with in Dec except I have to drive past it coming from Canada.

We'll be stopping in for 2-3 days in Moab on our way to Sedona, but even at that we'll be checking the weather before we leave and be ready to bail on Moab if there is snow.

I wouldn't bother trying to make a definite plan at this point. If you are driving just land and have your first stop planned and go from there depending on weather and how you are feeling about the riding. If the Moab weather is looking enticing and a call to a Moab bike shop indicates conditions are good it could be a great idea. Hard to say this far in advance.

We'll be in Sedona for 17days and not get bored or do that much repetition and there are trails there that are definitely worth riding more than once to get the most from them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Vic. I had started to wonder whether I should bother putting plans in place more than a couple of days ahead of myself... im cool with just seeing what happens next

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I've been to Moab quite a few times in Dec-Jan and it is hit and miss. Lots of great riding without going up too high. Hurricane is a much safer bet but not guaranteed. Last year Gooseberry and Little Creek had quite a bit of snow.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post

I'll be in SoCal (Orange County) between Dec 21-28 and would love to ride some of those Laguna trails I've seen pictures/heard of.

There's other great trails there too so if you get down that way cfrench let me know. Maybe Herzalot can hook us up.

Having said that, I'll echo the other responders: Moab (weather permiting), St. George/Hurricane, Las Vegas, and Phoenix/Sedona are your best bets for a USA trip in Dec/Jan. Lots of amazing stuff, high probability of sunshine, and way different than what you may be used to in Europe.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks KRob, be great to catch up with you, keep you posted. For sure it seems Sedona/PHX/SoCal areas have enough to keep anyone busy on a single trip (and much longer) without the need to go further afield.. and yeah, in the EU, Scotland/France/Italy have amazing riding, but the southern US has something quite different to offer and its with enough contrast to home, to make a trip over the pond something to really really look forward to,,,,
    Last edited by cfrench; 11-23-2013 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    You should develop a Plan A, B and C and then based on the weather execute the correct plan. The weather is unpredictable even in the best places. You should look as to whether it is an El Nino year or not and look at those trends.

Again Santa Cruz is pretty darn good. Red woods, killer singletrack, the ocean, hero dirt, ...it can rain though. For the last few years, I am off of work doing this time and I ride everyday and it has generally been pretty good.

We hit Moab end of April every year, can't ride as high but it is good time because the weather is warming up, but not hot.

mtbr member
    Glorious day in SoCal today (Sunday, Nov. 24)! 60* sunny, clear, calm and it rained Friday, so hero dirt. More coming - it's prime riding season!

It does rain in winter, however, and when it does, most trails are impassable (and closed), but that's only a few days a year (10?). It would suck if those were the days you were here on vacation, but it can happen.

mtbr member

A friend sent me this - Moab 2 days ago. I guess we'll be heading straight to Sedona and my GF will get her first taste of Moab on another trip...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Pivoteer

A friend sent me this - Moab 2 days ago. I guess we'll be heading straight to Sedona and my GF will get her first taste of Moab on another trip...
    WOW, very cool shot. Do you know how far up that is? That cold front that just came through really messed some things up.

mtbr member
    WOW, very cool shot. Do you know how far up that is? That cold front that just came through really messed some things up.
    Sorry I don't know where that was taken. My guess is not very high.

This webcam might show you a better perspective of the snow line once the sun rises.

Red Cliffs Lodge Live Webcam in Partnership with CNHA and MUBLM of the Colorado River and Fisher Towers Moab Utah
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Warning no Knolly content!

Just got to Sedona. Weather was perfect shorts and t-shirt temperatures with sunshine.

vikapproved | Sedona: Slim Shady ? Llama Loop

Trails were 85% hero dirt and 15% damp...only a handful of actually muddy sections. Excellent riding.

I figure folks who might still be pondering holiday riding plans might want an update on conditions.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Vikb. how is the weather in Sedona. We were going tomorrow but heard there is 70% chance of rain. Might do Saturday instead.
    You still up there? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Vikb. how is the weather in Sedona. We were going tomorrow but heard there is 70% chance of rain. Might do Saturday instead.
    Vik is in Sedona for a couple of weeks.

...I was supposed to be coming over but my AVA Woodie got destroyed by the Mail Service (Grrrrr) which resulted in me leaving the booking until too late (wtf!!)

...would have been good to meet you F.N.G ...

Hopefully catch up with you guys next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Warning no Knolly content!

Just got to Sedona. Weather was perfect shorts and t-shirt temperatures with sunshine.

vikapproved | Sedona: Slim Shady ? Llama Loop

Trails were 85% hero dirt and 15% damp...only a handful of actually muddy sections. Excellent riding.

I figure folks who might still be pondering holiday riding plans might want an update on conditions.

looks like your having a great holiday Vik, disappointed that I cant be there, hoping to catch up with you next year in the PNW...

Chris.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Hey - yup here until 2 Jan or so.

Rained last night in the PM for a bit while we were out getting dinner.

Dry this AM, but the forecast is a bit damp so I'd come Saturday if it's all the same to you. Just a safer bet.

Update 8am: looking pretty wet and foggy....definitely come Saturday! We are going to do a movie and laundry today. It's my GF's fault she got a new Pushed shock for her bike yesterday...new bling is the kiss of death with the weather gods...

looks like your having a great holiday Vik, disappointed that I cant be there, hoping to catch up with you next year in the PNW...

Chris.
    +1 - That would be great to see you in the PNW...
    Last edited by vikb; 12-20-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Chris.
    Sorry about your aborted trip plans cfrench. Hope to meet you next year. And when you do come (and to vikb who's already here) don't forget to plan a day or two for Las Vegas and St George. Great winter weather (usually... St. George received 6" of snow during the Knollfest a couple weeks ago which is super bizarro rare) and some awesome riding.

Las Vegas: Cowboy Trails, Bootleg Canyon.
    St. George: Zen and Barrels etc.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Plus Gooseberry Mesa which is a great spot near St George in Hurricane. Which is pronounced Hirkin as far as my English ears could decipher.

mtbr member
    Plus Gooseberry Mesa which is a great spot near St George in Hurricane. Which is pronounced Hirkin as far as my English ears could decipher.

I was in St. George yesterday and they still had a surprising amount of snow around from that freak storm last week so I can't imagine anything being rideable right now in either SG or Hurkin (yes Wilks, that is the "appropriate" pronunciation ).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast