mtbr member
    May 2009

Wide rims... Derby, Ibis, kitsuma,Worth it?

are 35mm internal rim widths really better? I'm going to be building up a new set of wheels for my Delirium and not sure exactly what I want. I know a lot of people swear by the big rims but I seem to think they might be a little overkill. I'm leaning toward build a set of the NOX Composites Farlows that are 29mm internal which I think is plenty wide but will I regret not getting the Kitsuma?
    Cheers
    Pete

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got 30mm internal (35external) light bicycle rims. I think they are great and a number of mates run these. They are huge with 2.35 tyres. I personally wouldn't want wider rims. There's a limited number of tyres that fit wide rims well and the wider they are the harder it is to get a good round profile.

Trail Ninja
    27.5 wheel size, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    27.5 wheel size, right?
    Both. I,m on 27.5 and one mate is on a 26er Endo

Trail Ninja
    Surprised they're still making new stuff in 26.

Based on what Derby printed out as forces needed to make his rim fail, and how no one else listed theirs, I'd lean in that direction for a bike like the Delirium. On a shorter travel bike, 30mm or less is what I'd go for, for weight savings. For reference, Light Bicycle says their passing standard is 150 Kgf for their carbon rims. Technical

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just to clarify, we're using the AM rims on Endos andWardens. We've had no issues with them standing up to a fair amount of abuse. You might want the thicker walled DH rims on a Delirium

AM, monstercross, klunker
    I know it's been awhile since anyone posted here, but I thought I'd put in my two cents in regards to the Kitsuma rims. I couldn't choose between the Farlows and the Kitsumas for my Mojo 3 build, so I gave Nox a call. I told them about my build and how I ride, and they unequivocally recommended the Kitsumas. I was a bit concerned about the extra weight, but let me tell you, the Kitsumas provided the best built wheels I've ever ridden in over 30 years of mountain biking. I still haven't tried plus tires yet, but these rims are amazing with 2.4" tires, making them balloon out to something closer to 2.6" tires. The low pressures add suspension and traction like never before. All my familiar "scary" trails are now just fun. I'm way faster downhill than before and although the 27.5" Mojo 3 is a great upgrade from my 26" Mojo SL (which I loved), I'd attribute 80% of the improvement to the rims and low-pressure tires.

If you've got a 26er you love, save yourself the expense of a new bike and just rebuild your wheels with a set of wide Derby hoops, or if you're building up a set of 27.5" wheels, go for the Kitsumas and, whether 26" or 27.5", throw on some tubeless 2.35" Bontrager XR4 Team Issues or 2.4" Mountain Kings, and it will blow your mind how much better your bike will ride.

mtbr member
    It's the single best mod I've done in 27 years of mountain biking. It literally makes my bike as stable as my KTM530. For me, I don't need to be riding with more speed. But, they do allow me to ride at the same speeds, but ride much more relaxed. It makes my rides much more enjoyable and safer.

Same here, I'm on 2.4s and the rims make them huge.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of building the Nox Kitsuma for the front and the Farlow for the rear. Reason being that it is very unlikely I will run larger then a 2.3" out back but like a 2.4" or 2.5" in front. Seems like a perfect combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    I'm thinking of building the Nox Kitsuma for the front and the Farlow for the rear. Reason being that it is very unlikely I will run larger then a 2.3" out back but like a 2.4" or 2.5" in front. Seems like a perfect combo.
    Any feedback/recommendation on your set up? I have a rear farlow and tempted to run a farlow up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceblanch View Post
    Any feedback/recommendation on your set up? I have a rear farlow and tempted to run a farlow up front.

Correction. Thinking of running a kitsuma upfront.