Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Delirious Tuck

Whistler Musings... which bike?

Background: have Chili and Podium; took Chili last year and was fine; only rode WBP while in Whistler last year.

This year:

-Not sure what to bring, in Whistler for 8 days of riding
    -Want to get a few days, maybe even 4, on the trails out of park
    -Podium would be so much fun and mix things up a bit from last year
    -Chili could do dual Park and outta park duty with different tires
    -Like the idea of trying something 650B for trails

Thoughts? Bring Podium and rent for out of park? Bring Chili and have known variable in and out and maybe rent a 650B one day there?

Chili is most practical and cheapest all in, but man, the Podium hauls the mail through EVERYTHING all day.

TIA.

Just roll it......
    One bike:
    Renting a trail bike is a lot cheaper than a DH bike and has far less chance of breaking something on them, so if you really feel like you'll ride 4 days in the park, then I'd bring the Podium. Also, it's not that the Chili can't handle riding the park, it's just that it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight if you really plan to ride the park at speeds those trails are capable of.....

EB

Biking Like Crazy!
    Take the Podium for sure. You'll get so much more out of the Bike Park than you ever could with the Chili.
    I know cause I bring both and have used both in the park. It's no contest. As eb said, it's cheaper to rent a trail bike.

I should add that I do like the Chili for riding those out of park trails tho! lol
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You'll have to excuse me but I'm on a outside the park high right now. Just rode my new Dixon today..

Why not ride the Whistler Valley trails, Pemberton and Squamish?. If you only have eight days why ride the same old trails? Or hit the park just for a couple days. There's so many awesome trails outside the park! Just saying..
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Ship both bikes. Renting sucks if you are at all picky about set up. Spend your time thinking how awesome the trails are instead of how the bars are too narrow/suspension sucks/tire choice is ridiculous.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Delirious Tuck
    Yeah, had Chili for four days in park last year and did feel like there was something left on table. And I would loooove to have my big bike for Freight Train, Chili was fun but the extra travel and zoom should make it mo fun. Want to get at least 4 days again this trip, plus I've been DHing more this season at Mt Creek and feeling much more solid than last year where I was on road every other week in Asia.

Now, how about Endo or Chili out of Park? Wife will be bringing her Delirium that she uses as sled and AM, she will have two wheel sets. Maybe just rent and tweak set up etc while on the trails?

Pemberton and Squamish would be dope.

Any recommended must rides in the AM or Trail vein of things/shuttle services to use.

Thanks much for the advice!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    yeah - if I had two bikes that nice I'd be kicking myself in the nuts for not bringing them cost be damed. In fact shipping them and having them built in a shop (send them to Fanatyk who are Knolly dealers) will be cheaper than renting. Renting generally isn't cheap because Whistler trails are tough and no-one trusts townies to not break their faces and heads on the local trails.

As for must-rides. Lots written about this on this and the Western Can forum.

Endo is fine but so is the Chili. Delirium with lighter wheelsets are fine too. Most of the climbs aren't super long. The downhills are usually what gives most people fits.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    For 8 days, I would ship both (Podium/Chilcotin) for sure. If you must, rent a 650b on one day. Best comparison to the chili/endo vs 650b, would be to ride both on similar trails. When are you headed up?
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

Just roll it......
    Since folks are suggesting two bikes, I guess it comes down to:

A. how much is it going to cost to ship your second bike (not to mention the hassle) and
    B. how much you'd plan to ride second bike and
    C. what's that break even point?

The rental bikes up there are really solid - particularly the trailbikes which mostly see tourists taking them on the paved valley trails or the xc stuff around lost lake. Seriously, pick a brand and they're almost all there. Specialized, Trek, Kona, Norco, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Scott, Commenacal, Cove, the list goes on....

A dh bike rental is gonna cost you $100 (minimum) + $20 insurance (because you're an idiot to not get insurance in the park). Fanatyk Co Ski & Cycle, Whistler BC : Bike Rentals in Whistler British Columbia including Downhill, Freeride and Cross Country bicycles.

If you plan to split time between park riding and valley trails and don't want to bring both, then I'd bring your Podium for sure, save money and use it as an opportunity to try another brand's rentals.

Also, AFAIK, Fanatyk Co doesn't rent Knolly's and they only have one delerium still hanging around the shop for sale. Noel and I ran into Matt Ryan on Fromme just a couple of weeks ago and that came directly from him.

I've been riding the valley trails for 13+ years and I agree that they are equally as good as anything in the park (albeit different), but you don't get the WBP anywhere else in the world and I'd much prefer to ride my own bike on those trails and "make due" with a high end rental on stuff like Cheap Thrills, Hey Bud, It's Business Time, Kill Me Thrill Me or any of the other amazing trails in the valley.

Cheers,
    EB

Delirious Tuck
    Thanks again.

Headed there July 26th-Aug 3rd, 26th & 3rd being commute into/out of whistler with ride opportunity in the PM and AM respectively (trails).

Have an evoc bag for one bike. Shipping to Fanatyk could work well, but will admit, hassle of hauling around and reshipping extra bike could be a pain. Probably USD300-350 from NYC area.

Fanatyk has the Norco Bs and Enduro (I have an Enduro too, so that's not a bad option). Evolution has the TB LT and looks like there are Trance X 29ers around. If renting non-consecutively (most likely) will come close to boxing and shipping the bike out there.

Anyone done Top of the World? Podium or rent something AM like an Enduro?

I feel like Endo may be a game time decision but the Podium is going for certain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Top of the world's cool to do once if you're staying in the park and not using the lift to get to... nevermind. You can ride Top of the World on a DH. You need a DH after you finish anyways. You'll probably end up riding Freight Train after Top of the World ends.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Anyone done Top of the World? Podium or rent something AM like an Enduro?
    Top of the world is worth doing once for sure. You only get 1 lap down it (100 riders per day max), so take in the views and enjoy it up there. I usually bring a beer and a bite up with me and just chill for a bit before shredding the trail.

Which bike for that trail depends on what you want to do after. ToW isn't very technical, but if you plan to stay in the park after, then for sure ride it on the podium. If you want to do something different, than take the trail bike up and peel off of ToW about 1/2 way down to hit Khyber Pass/Babylon by Bike and either Tunnel Vision or It's Business Time. Those either drop you near Function (it's business time) or just south of Creekside (Tunnel Vision), but I wouldn't do that route solo and I would definitely get more detailed instructions prior.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When I was in Fanatyk last they didn't have any Knolly Demos anymore. Norco and Specialized

Im planning on being up there in July and renting a DH bike from them for 3 days and bring one of my AM bikes with me to hit Pemberton on the way out and maybe Squamish on the way up.

Ed. Rental for DH bike is $100/day. Cheaper for multiple days at a time.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

earn yer turns...

pedal up
    Dec 2009

Earn yer turns...

The Park is the PARK... and its the Park!

but i gotta say when in Whistler the myriad of trails right at your doorstep trump all. (and there's nothing that quite compares to running a fresh line down an uncultured trail... virgin forest loam is a guilty pleasure that rivals backcountry skiing).

there's so much riding it's... (ineffable).
    T

nice little hit = "Golden Boner"... right up Blackcomb... 42minutes up... 9down
    i got a boner on Golden Boner on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Most bike shops have travel bags or hard cases laying around somewhere; if not they will at least have a large box. Take a case of beer and barter away.

The GF and I are flying to Winter Park in a few days, taking the DH bike on the plane is much cheaper than shipping. Depends on airline though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    we just returned from whistler, after a 2 week holiday. it was no hassle at all taking 2 bikes each,,, ( air transat) col had his soda and chilcotin, and i took the podium and endo. so i would say its defo worth taking the 2 bikes if you plan to use them.
    this was my 11th trip in 6 years, and the first time i have ever rode the park on a full on dh bike, previouse trips were on 09 dt. ( 2011delirium,, and 06 rocky mountain slayer) it's defo more fun on the podium, unfortunatly due to injury i only got to ride the endo 3 times and the podium 5 times. then had to sit it out while i recover,

as far as i know fanatyko arent doing knolly anymore, they mainly plugging spesh and norco this year, and transition, they didnt have any knollies in their demo fleet, but they do have a delirium forsale, i could be wrong about them not doin knolly anymore, if i am then i appologise, i just thought they were doin spesh , norco, transition,

as for trails to ride, the choice is endless, so many great trails to be had, in whistler, squamish and pemberton. defo do top of the world, i did it 6 times last september, its an awesome trail. i rode it on the delirium t, with 180 fork,

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im heading up next Monday - Friday. Will be on a V-10 for the park and on my Range for the pedally trails. As of yesterday that place is a braking bump disaster, but at least Garbo will dry up a bit

Delirious Tuck
    Mmmm... Brake Bumps.

We've had so much rain in last 45 days for the North East (believe over 20''), Mt. Creek has whistler sized brake bumps (ala a 26'' wide and 6'' deep). Much rather have the Podium with me to knock off some of the edge of the bumps and have more energy for riding next day than trying to make the Chili work.

Am off for a work trip for a week after fourth and will make exec decision on Endo after. But thinking its very possible I'll bring Endo as well.

Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike View Post
    nice little hit = "Golden Boner"... right up Blackcomb... 42minutes up... 9down
    i got a boner on Golden Boner on Vimeo
    I'll have to ride that next week. Be good to pedal up that in the AM before the lifts start to spin. Looks good, hit up IBT/AMPM last time I was up there to board and bike.

Level 5 Rider!
    Out of curiosity I am a noob but I would like to try out a bike park. Would renting a bike for a new rider be worthwhile or because of my lack of speed and ability would it be alright just to ride on my HT?
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    Out of curiosity I am a noob but I would like to try out a bike park. Would renting a bike for a new rider be worthwhile or because of my lack of speed and ability would it be alright just to ride on my HT?
    Rent a bike. You could ride most of the trails on your hardtail, but that doesn't mean you should, or that it would be as much fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Rent a bike. You could ride most of the trails on your hardtail, but that doesn't mean you should, or that it would be as much fun.
    +2..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +3 - you'll be amazed at what having the right tool for the job can do. Only downside is you'll end up wanting a nice FS rig.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    the park is for everyone,,, the bike park wouldnt be what it is today if it wasnt for beginers coming in, you would be absolutly fine on the easier green, trails and some blues. if you are serious about wanting to hit the park, my advice would be, rent a bike and get a guide to, they will asses you and give you some basic tips and coaching on techniques so you can ride safly and get the most out of your park experiance,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast