Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which wheels for a lightweight Endo?

When building a lightweight Endo an obvious choice of wheels would be the Enve AMs:

Mountain Bike Carbon Wheels / Carbon Fiber Wheelset 26 AM

Any ideas on custom builds that could achieve better strength/weight/$$$ ratio as these enves are bit too expensive...
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I'd love a set of those, I've heard nothing but good things. Supposedly stiff as hell and the Santa Cruz Syndicate DH team (Minnar, Peat, etc) raced on just one set per rider all year, but for $2500 I will keep rocking my Kings and Flows...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anything with Enve's is going to be pimp. Period. They are really nice rims, good warranty, and made in Ogden, Utah.

Other options to consider are Specialized and Easton:
    --Specialized Roval Traverse SL: 22mm internal width, DT Swiss hubs and spokes, lifetime warranty.
    --Easton Haven Carbon: 21mm internal width, previous hub issues, not sure about reliability now, two year no questions asked warranty.

Two friends in Austin just mounted their respective Easton Haven Carbon's and both Cat 1 DH/Enduro/XC shredders, anxious to see how they hold up. I'm considering the Roval set.

For ultimate bang for your buck, the Light Bicycle carbon rims are wide and cheap...

mtbr member
    i have owned a lot of high end wheels including easton haven carbons, dt swiss tricon, mavic crossmax sx and enve am. enves are simply on another level. i can also tell you that the xc wheel is the exact same as the am just a little narrower. just a thought. the eastons are tough as hell to though. they are listed as a trail wheel with 24 spokes i believe and i beat the hell out of those things and they never faultered. up to you but just talking from experience. the eastons you can generally find for fairly cheap considereing as well

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Syntace W35.....less than half the price of Enve's, wider, aluminium, classy hubs, mix and match widths and diameters.

Knomer
    I9 Torch.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Internet kids don't like them, (based on reviews by non-owners it seems) but I've had years of really good experience with American Classic hubs. The bearings on the first set of hubs didn't last, but the replacements have several yrs on them.
    Laced to a stans rim with CX ray's my 650b front weighs in at 645g without the disc.

My endo has currently I9 front and Hope rear right now, but if I wanted to strip weight off, I'd trade bling for utililty and AMClassic hubs would be my go to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Running the Enve XC rims on my Endorphin and very happy. They are fast and stiff. I got mine from Wheelbuilder.com and was well under $2500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    like most of you i was looking at enve, but again like most of you dont want to pay the price tag lol.
    i went for hope pro2 with mavic en521 these are pretty light, i was going to go for the xm 719 i had these on my dt originally but kept buckling them in the park. so thought the en521 would be a tad stronger and is a slight bit wider,
    i was looking at crankbrothers, crc have them on offer and they are pretty light.
    also looked at easton. in the end i went with hope mavic combo as my mate gets em cheap. and im trying to stick to a budget lol.

si vis pacem...
    I'd second what Dusty said and go for the Industry Nines. I've ridden a few pairs of their wheels and they have been nothing short of awesome, and the new Torch rims and hubs are advertised at less that 1500g/set - and thats for the burlier 32H configuration. With the 24H front wheel they're around 1420g/set. That's carbon weight with alloy rims, (and at half the price) and the quality of the I9 stuff is second to none. Plus all those colours are bad ass.

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I9 Torch.
    Glad you said that because I'm eyeballing this set (Trail 24h). Light in weight, great color combinations, 3 degree engagement hubs, attractive price and made in the USA! Downside: 200lb weight limit might set some people off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I'd love a set of those, I've heard nothing but good things. Supposedly stiff as hell and the Santa Cruz Syndicate DH team (Minnar, Peat, etc) raced on just one set per rider all year, but for $2500 I will keep rocking my Kings and Flows...
    Ive heard people say that Kings arent as fast as DT or I9, but last much longer, what do you reckon?
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I've no idea, I've not ever ran I9's or DT's so I can't compare. Regardless, I wouldn't base your purchasing decision on which are "faster."

EDIT: it dawned on me they were probably talking about King's being slower due to the supposed freehub drag they have, due to the seals. I've not ever found this to be an issue, I think people make more out of it than it is.

All are good hubs though, so you can't really go wrong.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did you check out Light Bicycles like Gillespie said? They have refined their process and it seems nil probs so far. Carbon rims for around $650. to your door with hubs that are axle adjustable (with the right spacers). Prob 200 grams heavier than Enve, but hey! Stiffness to cost ratio.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I9 Torch.
    I have no doubts about these wheels but here they are 800.

I could build these:

405g DT Swiss 240 IS Disc (6 bolt) -- Front 20mm (165g) -- Rear 12mm x 142mm TA (240g) convertible into Sram MTB XD for XX1

800g Stans Arch EX 26" Black 32h (400g each)

309g Sapim D-Light black (x64)

26g Sapim Aluminium 2.0mm x64

Total Weight 1540g.
    Cost 600.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    Anything with Enve's is going to be pimp. Period. They are really nice rims, good warranty, and made in Ogden, Utah.

Other options to consider are Specialized and Easton:
    --Specialized Roval Traverse SL: 22mm internal width, DT Swiss hubs and spokes, lifetime warranty.
    --Easton Haven Carbon: 21mm internal width, previous hub issues, not sure about reliability now, two year no questions asked warranty.

Two friends in Austin just mounted their respective Easton Haven Carbon's and both Cat 1 DH/Enduro/XC shredders, anxious to see how they hold up. I'm considering the Roval set.
    The advice i was given was:

Easton haven carbon
    rims great
    hubs poor, issues with reliability and spares, will be using the warranty i.e not always on your bike.

Spesh Roval Traverse SL
    straight pull spokes harder to get hold of and there is a cost associated

As for Light Bicycle carbon rims, WOW!, they look too light/cheap to be true...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kark View Post
    Internet kids don't like them, (based on reviews by non-owners it seems) but I've had years of really good experience with American Classic hubs. The bearings on the first set of hubs didn't last, but the replacements have several yrs on them.
    Ive heard the AM Classic Disc 130 Front and AM Classic Disc 225 Rear hubs are cheaper (by 100 bucks) and lighter (by 40g for the pair) than DT Swiss 240s. These are interesting for those reasons but might require a wee bit more maintenance which isnt a problem for me.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
    I'd second what Dusty said and go for the Industry Nines. I've ridden a few pairs of their wheels and they have been nothing short of awesome, and the new Torch rims and hubs are advertised at less that 1500g/set - and thats for the burlier 32H configuration. With the 24H front wheel they're around 1420g/set. That's carbon weight with alloy rims, (and at half the price) and the quality of the I9 stuff is second to none. Plus all those colours are bad ass.
    They are are the forefront for sure, along with the build i specified above (mix of Stans/DT Swiss 240s/Sapim).
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    EDIT: it dawned on me they were probably talking about King's being slower due to the supposed freehub drag they have, due to the seals. I've not ever found this to be an issue, I think people make more out of it than it is.
    the drag is what i meant. they probably do make more out of it, but the one place that i find my knolly slow on is pretty flat / lightly rolling / technical sections, it loses speed quickly and that could be helped by faster engaging hubs.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Ive heard the AM Classic Disc 130 Front and AM Classic Disc 225 Rear hubs are cheaper (by 100 bucks) and lighter (by 40g for the pair) than DT Swiss 240s. These are interesting for those reasons but might require a wee bit more maintenance which isnt a problem for me.
    The DT hubs are light, reliable, adaptable and easy to service. I'm not sure the ACs even deserve to be in the same conversation.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If not Enve, then these:

Syntace

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    chris,,,,
    just a thought, not even sure how good they are, but i read in last months mag about the new superstar xc carbon rims being pretty good and reasonable money.
    Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    If not Enve, then these:

Syntace
    Those syntace wheels look really intriguing.. wide rims, light, awesome spokes. the price is ~800 (600 euro before shipping etc).

Could be top shelf wheels for mid shelf price.
    Glad to know about these. Thx for the heads up.

Just roll it......
    Do you or anyone else know anyone running them?

wider mtb 26er carbon bike rim 26 inch rims(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ISharted View Post
    Did you check out Light Bicycles like Gillespie said? They have refined their process and it seems nil probs so far. Carbon rims for around $650. to your door with hubs that are axle adjustable (with the right spacers). Prob 200 grams heavier than Enve, but hey! Stiffness to cost ratio.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not sure on the 26inch but in the 650b thread have a look under Carbon rims, lots of info with peeps posting up their new sets regularly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast