mtbr member
    Oct 2008

wheel size on one thread?

Maybe the questions are these?

what is your market? and what is the solution?

your market wants the best hardtail x country bike - make a 29er

your market wants the best full sus x country bike – make a 29er

your market wants the best hardtail trail bike – make a 29er

your market wants the best full sus trail bike – make a 29er

your market wants the best all mountain full sus bike where the front derailleur position isn’t compromised? make a 29er with a single ring and 11 rear gears

your market wants the best all mountain bike with 2 or 3 front rings – make a 650b

your market wants the best freeride bike – make a 650b or 26

your market wants the best downhill bike – make a 26 or 650b

Your company makes the best full suspension system on the planet? make as many of the above that the market demands. And sweeten existing owners with a hardtail for when they want it if the market deamnds it…

mtbr member
    May 2009
    wtf? the market says everyone wants a 29er but the freeride and downhill segment? i ride xc as much as anything and haven't considered a 29er. I ride Knolly because they make the best suspension design available and that to me is way more important than wheel size. the market is made up of many many many preferences!

Probably drunk right now
    Let me guess what you ride.

"The market" will sort out what's best for which type or style of riding as it always has: cash (profit).

Marketing was being pulled by the market for 29ers. Now marketing is pushing 29ers while being pulled by 650b.

The market will sort itself out. I just ride what I like and am happy when I can find time to get out on two wheels. Size doesn't matter to me.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheeled View Post
    Maybe the questions are these?

your market wants the best all mountain full sus bike where the front derailleur position isn’t compromised? make a 29er with a single ring and 11 rear gears
    Isn't that compromising the front derailleur position though?

Otherwise, this thread is tripe. People will ride what they want and companies will make what will sell.

You'll note, though, that companies sprung from a DH background make bikes that are smaller wheeled and more playful than dirt-roadie frames.

mtbr member
    meh
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    You'll note, though, that companies sprung from a DH background make bikes that are smaller wheeled and more playful than dirt-roadie frames.
    I agree. A few years ago, everything was too road oriented. We are finally seeing slacker trail bikes hitting the market making everyone much happier.

We did learn a few things from the 29er segment as well as the DH segment - lower bottom brackets (ie center of gravity), longer wheelbase (stability), slacker head angles (less twitchy), and fattier tires ( stability, grip, and cush). Though once perceived in making a bike ride bad, mostly in getting to the top of the hill first. We have since learned that these items aren't overly bad when going uphill or riding through flat narrow trails, but have increased personal confidence and are just downright more fun.

In the end, I don't think the wheelsize difference is as significant as it was. The biggest difference is acceleration and inertia - pick which one you like more and run with it. The rest of it has gotten too close to split hairs over.

Just my thoughts - probably mostly wrong, but hey it is the internet!

RideDirt
    Just get on a bike , STFU , and ride that sh^t like your stole it otherwise look into playing some chess..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    yawn...i love my 26 inch 160mm travel full sus...but i want a new bike, and am torn between 27.5 and 29. I'm not made of money. I'd like a knolly. Compronde?

Bnerd
    Maybe they're just upset because of the odd wording of the title for the thread.

mtbr member
    I am al for the discussion - this is why I added to it!