Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Knomer

What is that thick/foamy frame protection?

Hey peeps,

I'm wondering what we call that thick/foamy adhesive material that some of you use for frame protection on chainstays and underside of the downtube. I've done searches for wind/surf/SUP deck grip and it gets me in the ballpark, but those usually come cut into specific patterns, where I'm really looking for a roll of it, hopefully 3 inches wide and BLACK. Ya know?

I ride thru a lot of loose shale in my 'hood and get more than the occasional kick-up to the DT. 3M clear bumper tape protects from scratches and paint flakes, but isn't thick enough for more aggressive hits. Help me out, thanks!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Hmm, I can't recall off my head, but I know what you are talking about.

Doesn't 3M make some really thick clear stuff, similar to what they make for helicopter blades? I thought I saw some a few years ago when I bought some of the normal 3M for my Highline.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Hey peeps,

I'm wondering what we call that thick/foamy adhesive material that some of you use for frame protection on chainstays and underside of the downtube. I've done searches for wind/surf/SUP deck grip and it gets me in the ballpark, but those usually come cut into specific patterns, where I'm really looking for a roll of it, hopefully 3 inches wide and BLACK. Ya know?

I ride thru a lot of loose shale in my 'hood and get more than the occasional kick-up to the DT. 3M clear bumper tape protects from scratches and paint flakes, but isn't thick enough for more aggressive hits. Help me out, thanks!
    Frame defender? Thats what I've always used. Comes in a variety of colors.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Frame defender? Thats what I've always used. Comes in a variety of colors.
    Pretty freakin' cool to google search "frame defender" and see a KNOLLY PODIUM come up in top results....

https://www.google.com/search?q=fram...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    On the downtube - I use two layers of clear 3M

mtbr member
    I don't know about foamy, but I use water resistant electrical tape stuff on my chain stay. It is made by scotch and is more like self sealing rubber. It is about 1mm thick and 1.5in wide. When you stretch it and overlap it it bonds to itself and won't stick to your frame of you decide to take it off. You can get it in home depot for $10 for a roll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VuDoo11 View Post
    I don't know about foamy, but I use water resistant electrical tape stuff on my chain stay. It is made by scotch and is more like self sealing rubber. It is about 1mm thick and 1.5in wide. When you stretch it and overlap it it bonds to itself and won't stick to your frame of you decide to take it off. You can get it in home depot for $10 for a roll.
    That stuff works epically well on chain stays I agree, been using it for years. But if all Dusty wants to cover is the downtube, I don't think it will work.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Knomer
    The 'shelter' tape looks interesting, anyone know if it sticks well to anodized frames?

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It sticks quite well to my raw frame. I think it should have no trouble with an ano frame. Just make sure it is nice and clean prior to application.

Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dusty, I find this works well Frame Wrap - www.biketart.com

Perpetual Hack
    Couldn't find it on their site, but I got some from go-ride a couple years ago.
    it is a rubber strip with strong adhesive on one side.
    Give em a shout

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    1. Prep frame
    2. Apply Sorbothane (Sorbothane Sheets - 12" square, 1/8" thick | Edmund Scientific)
    3. Apply Kevlar 49 4H or 2x2 weave, or similar aramid tape (ACP Composites - Large Stock of Ready to Use Composite Plate, Tube, Sheet, Fabrics and Core Materials.)
    4. Apply single layer of carbon fiber

Use a quality epoxy and hardener, vacuum bag, and you are good to go.

Setup cost is only expensive if you consider the vacuum pumps. You can avoid that by using a compression tape method.

Give me a few weeks and I will show you the results.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    I use 3M antiskid tape for the down tube. it has water resistant adhesive so it sticks a long long time...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    What is that thick/foamy frame protection?-cover-up.jpg

If you need something now you can always go cheep and change it later.

mtbr member
    I'm using Frame Defender right now and it seems to work well. It gets chewed up quicker than the 3M Mastic tape. The 3M Mastic becomes part of your frame. It is, actually, hard to get off your frame. It is pretty awesome stuff and I will be using it once I go through my frame defender.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Aqua installed jet ski decking on the downtube of both of my Knollys.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    +1 for shelter frame protection tape - best out there - imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dusty,

The funny thing about the frame defender is that on the "Installation" page, it looks like they're using a Chili or an Endorphin outline for diagram. I don't have any bikes with the smaller 4x4 linkage (only a Delirium), but it sure looks like one of them to me !

Installation | Frame Defender

TSC
    Buehliever
    Dusty,

Some time ago there was a similar thread on which you suggested some NASCAR tape. Is that not thick enough? (I tried contacting them several times and left messages but never got a call back.)
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knomer
    That is correct, not thick enough to prevent dings.

Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Dusty,

Some time ago there was a similar thread on which you suggested some NASCAR tape. Is that not thick enough? (I tried contacting them several times and left messages but never got a call back.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    dusty.....
    what about these.
    Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

maybe you could contact them with specific knolly measurements and get some into production for various knolly frames.

mtbr member
    this one looks good. saw it on a bike and felt quite thick and good looking. i've ordered that an can post pics when i have it with me.
    Lizardstore

mtbr member
    Self amalgamating tape. Many brands make it, it's a rubber like tape that kind of melts together when wrapped over itself. Can make it as thick as you want and doesn't leave any adhesive behind, because there is none. Don't know if you can get it in 3 inch wide, but you can make it as wide as you want. Worth looking into
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    now i put that downtube protection from lizardskins on the frame and have to say that it doesnīt not only look good but als feels quite stable.

have a look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is that thick/foamy frame protection?-p1120763.jpg  

What is that thick/foamy frame protection?-p1120764.jpg  

What is that thick/foamy frame protection?-p1120765.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast