Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What rims you rolling on Knolly people?

Putting together new wheels for the Endo.

I would love a set of I9 Torch's or Mavic Crossmax Enduros but none of these are wheelsets that I can get any old bike shop to rescue when on my travels due to the custom parts.

So going down the custom route and bought a pair of DT Swiss 240 hubs (20mm front and X11 ready rear). I'm going to lace them with Sapim spokes and I've got a sourced a top notch wheelbuillder.

That just leaves one thing to do, the hardest part.... to choose rims....

I'll be using the Endo for Enduro which requires rims that are light and wide (23mm inner minimum).

The 23mm min inner width rules out most light rims.

The only rims that I can find that might tick all boxes are the WTB I23 KOM (400g) which are scandium doped but they're not out for a few weeks so nobody knows how tough they are.

The other is the E13 TRS Race which is also scandium doped and 23mm wide 390g!

That's about all I could find on the light and wide side.

Going upto 500g a rim, I was eyeing the Spank Spike Race 28's which are DH tough and also have a 23mm inner.

At 400g a rim I can build 1500g Enduro tough hoops...the Spikes would take them to 1700g...

Any suggestions....what you riding / what would you go for if you were building new hoops for your Endo/Chili ??
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I know your after a rim rather than a complete wheelset but the crossmax sx is mentally tough, I have had a set for a long time now and never had one issue with them, never even had to true them.

If your after a rim superstar have their carbon AM rims on offer at the moment for 225 each. Alternatively you could buy an entire wheelset off them using their carbon rims laced to switch hubs for exactly the same price as 2 rims bought separately.

Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts
    Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

Their XC rims get good reports for strength and stiffness so theoretically these should be even better and at 400g per rim they are very light.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Maybe not as flashy as the others but Flow EX? List at 490g, easy setup tubeless or not, and nice and wide. I keep expecting to have to rebuild my King's to the EX soon but my old Flows are going on 4 seasons now with only one trip back to a great builder for a re-tension. Just seem bomb-proof to me.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    For now I am running the Flows & flow ex's on king hubs which do the job.
    Some of the spoke holes are cracking , so I am going to try the lightbicycle new process carbon am rims in the 380 gram version.
    There is a guy in my area who brings them in, so just waiting for the next batch to show up.

MC MasterShake
    I've never ridden the Crossmax Enduros before but some of my buddies have them and they've had nothing but trouble with the hubs.

I've had good luck with the Stans Flow rims. I have a set on my Delirium and Chilly that have been rock solid for many years. They are beat up now but still riding pretty well. The Flow EX would be an upgrade as a wider yet lighter rim and just as strong.

I tried the Chinese Carbon rims from Light Bicycles and while they were amazing stiff, light, and wide. 385 grams each. I cracked one after a couple of weeks of use though. In its defense I was doing some pretty rugged downhilling when the rim cracked. They are covering under warranty and I asked for their DH version which weighs about 440 grams.

When I broke that carbon rim I was on vacation out west so they replaced it with a Spank 28 rim. Seems pretty solid so far. A bit heavier than the Stans stuff but they seem burlier. They also came in some pretty cool colors. I got a purple rim laced to a gold hub. Looks sick!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am waiting for the WTB KOM to come out for the same use as you. I plan to use one on the front and see how it goes before trying it on the rear. I feel that the absence of the I-beem will make them weaker and may not suite my needs for an enduro rim. Currently I race with a WTB i23 in the rear as a replacement for a flow ex. I actually like the i23 better and although its 2mm less in width internal it weighs less than flow ex.

Bnerd
    I'm not too sure how closely related the new Crossmax Enduros are to the Crossmax SX wheelset/rims but I've seriously abused a set of the SX wheelset on my Delirium for years and they're still running strong.

I've broken one spoke on the rear in the time I've been on them. I was lazy and didn't replace the spoke for a while and the wheel held up quite well. There was only a slight wobble with the spoke missing. Eventually I got a new spoke but the shop didn't have the SX specific spoke. They had another Mavic spoke that was bladed and the right length.

In another experience that has me completely sold on the bomber strength of the Crossmax SX wheels is while on a trip riding in Post Canyon in Hood River I cased a sizable gap jump VERY HARD on the rear wheel. The landing lip was wood and I hit it squarely on the edge of the wood. The wheel stayed true but ended up with a bit of a hop and cracks around the eyelet in the rim. I tightened up the spokes affected and continued on with the rest of my 3 week mountain bike trip without a peep coming from the rear wheel after that incident!
    Eventually I replaced the rim but not until after I put many more miles on it.

My Crossmax SX wheels are my out-of-park-wheelset. This summer I picked up a set of Spank Spike Race28 for park duties. These wheels/rims also get my seal of approval.
    I coach in the Whistler park with a crew of killer riders all summer. These wheels/rims have, so far, stood up to the abuse of me riding my Delirium like a full on DH sled.

To give you a reference point I'm 6'6" and 245ish geared up and I don't always take the best line.

The short of the long is I don't think you can go too wrong with either the Mavic or Spank choices.

Five5hot
    another here with Flow EX rims. i have them mated up to chris king hubs for my endorphin and couldn't be happier.

if i had the cash flow i would one up it with ENVE AM hoops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    got Flow EX, going over to Syntace ( rim only available in 2014?), you might consider:

DT Swiss - EX 471

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got I9 torch hubs and in my opinion they're worth it. The fast engagement I thought might be all marketing but out on the trails it's a delight to ride with. Especially up technicals where that fast engagement really counts.

Also the I9 come with really big spokes. I think it would take a lot to put one of these out of shape. I've laced them to flow EX which are fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    r/e I9.
    They come with spare spokes included. If you manage to trash more than a couple spokes, odds are good you'd be more interested in a first aid kit than the wheel.
    The bearings drag a bit at first but after some miles are pure silk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kark View Post
    r/e I9.
    They come with spare spokes included. If you manage to trash more than a couple spokes, odds are good you'd be more interested in a first aid kit than the wheel.
    The bearings drag a bit at first but after some miles are pure silk.
    I heard the new I9 wheelsets no longer come with spare spokes? Not a deal breaker IMHO, still a superb wheelset.

mtbr member
    I have the regular i23s I love em

mtbr member
    I run Flows laced to I9 enduro classics, travelled extensively with them with no issues. Always carry a few extra spokes but rarely used.

mtbr member
    thanks .. heres where im up to

Flow EXs vs. Spank Spikes Race 28 EVOs -- id go with the Spikes.
    I9 don't have a distributor in the UK (WTF!) so that's them ruled out.
    Crossmax SX are legendary but would like something lighter.
    Inspect the rims and you'll see that Crossmax Enduros are just an SX on the front and ST on the rear .
    Im not sure about Carbon wheels atm.
    DT Swiss EX 471 ...good call, missed them..
    Not sure that the removal of the I-beam from the i23 makes the rim more vulnerable, because at the same time, to compensate, they hardened the alloy through scandium doping.

....shortlist, which just got longer....
    Spank Spike Race 28 EVO (500g) ...1700g wheelset
    DT Swiss EX 471 (470g) ...1640g wheelset
    WTB i23 (455g) ...1610g wheelset
    WTB i23 KOM (400g) ...1500g wheelset
    E13 TRS Race (390g) ...1480g wheelset
    Last edited by cfrench; 10-20-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    the lightest option, the E13s, will be released before end of Nov, ..scroll down to the bottom of link:

First Look: 2014 E*Thirteen TRS Race Product Line ? Hubs, Wheels, Cranks, and more!

building up the rim only (which is also being offered) with cx rays and 240s will make a lighter wheel set than the full E13 build which is going to be 1560g.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    we both run hope pro 2 with the mavic enduro en526 rim, they are quite light and strong. theyve stood up to 5 weeks whistler abuse.
    if you alredy got hubs sorted, then look at the carbon rims from superstar.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I've never ridden the Crossmax Enduros before but some of my buddies have them and they've had nothing but trouble with the hubs.

I've had good luck with the Stans Flow rims. I have a set on my Delirium and Chilly that have been rock solid for many years. They are beat up now but still riding pretty well. The Flow EX would be an upgrade as a wider yet lighter rim and just as strong.

I tried the Chinese Carbon rims from Light Bicycles and while they were amazing stiff, light, and wide. 385 grams each. I cracked one after a couple of weeks of use though. In its defense I was doing some pretty rugged downhilling when the rim cracked. They are covering under warranty and I asked for their DH version which weighs about 440 grams.

When I broke that carbon rim I was on vacation out west so they replaced it with a Spank 28 rim. Seems pretty solid so far. A bit heavier than the Stans stuff but they seem burlier. They also came in some pretty cool colors. I got a purple rim laced to a gold hub. Looks sick!
    The Chinese rim that you cracked; was it the 33mm enduro rim or the wide rim? Also was it a rock strike or just "riding along".

mtbr member
    Have the normal Flows on Kings for the Endo and Chili both, and they seem to really take a beating and keep going.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Flows on Kings here. Awesome rims, even when the builder forgets to put threadlocker on the nipples.

Next year I will likely get at least one ENVE rim.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    The Chinese rim that you cracked; was it the 33mm enduro rim or the wide rim? Also was it a rock strike or just "riding along".
    It was their 33mm enduro rim, the lighter duty version. Didn't know they had a wider one.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

sapienti sat est
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    got Flow EX, going over to Syntace ( rim only available in 2014?)
    Syntace rim only option is already available at their store at 155 [$210] per piece!
    https://www.syntace.de/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=3015

I was planning on lacing their W35 rims to i9 Torch hubs using aluminum spokes but at $210 per rim I think I will give it a second thought

What other wide rims [minimum 28mm inner width] would you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert View Post
    Syntace rim only option is already available at their store at 155 [$210] per piece!
    https://www.syntace.de/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=3015

I was planning on lacing their W35 rims to i9 Torch hubs using aluminum spokes but at $210 per rim I think I will give it a second thought

now we see them https://www.syntace.de/index.cfm?pid=3 ..but when you go to the .com version of the site, they magically disappear:
    Syntace
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert View Post
    Spank Spike EVO 35AL

SPANK Bike's website/tools for superheroes
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

sapienti sat est
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    now we see them https://www.syntace.de/index.cfm?pid=3 ..but when you go to the .com version of the site, they magically disappear:
    Syntace
    Yeah, I know. Looks like it's "for Germans only" product

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast