Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Knollician

What do you guys like for knees?

I picked up a set of Kali's in Moab and they are the wrong size. I'm looking at buying a new set. I have looked heavily at the RF Ambush and POC VPD 2.0s. I tried the 661 Rage and they don't fit well. So what do you like? I'm looking for comfort and pads that stay in place.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I love my POC VPD 2.0's. They can be a bit stiff at first until they warm up, but then they seem to conform to your knee, then they don't move. I do 12 mile VERY pedally rides and they stay put.

I also have a set of TLD shock doctors, not sure of the model without looking, but might be the 5450s? The have a bit of a shin guard to them. I like those alot as well when I'm riding a bit riskier stuff and want that extra bit of shin protection. They stay in place great as well.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I used the RF Ambush knees for 2 weeks of riding in Switzerland and was pretty happy with them. Best thing I can say is that I didn't really notice them, although the weather was on the cool side so I can't claim that they are warm weather friendly...

mtbr member
    Troy lee KG/5400 or 5450 - very light and definitely do the job. Not super burly, but it's 10 times better than wearing nothing on those longer rides where you would generally not want to constantly be going in and out of a set of pads.

I've pedaled 30+ miles in my 5400's. Just make sure to remove the tags Unless something truly amazing comes along I'll be buying a 2nd pair of the 5400's or maybe the 5450s.

I had a pair of 661 Rage as well. I also didn't like the fit/characteristics.

mtbr member
    im using these theyre great: IXS Slope-Series Evo Knee Guards
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    +2 for the RF Ambush.
    I tried the POCs, but they wouldn't stay up. I'm coming from 661 Kyle Straits, which have been great for years. I also tried to the 661 Evo Light (and have had EVO knees before from 661).

Perpetual Hack
    G-form for xc/trail rides

A beat to crap set of 661 Kyle Straits when a bit more is required.

Full on Lift / DH a pair of Nukeproof Critical knee-shin for full coverage.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Get the RF Ambush. Best knee protection I have found. The back opens up so no need to remove shoes to put on. They also have two layers of velcro strap to get the perfect fit. I have had a couple of good diggers wearing the pads and they have yet to slip. We don't get PHX hot here in ABQ, but I wear the pads all year round, with no problems. They are also very comfortable for pedaling.

Pretty good read here, but I would add that you can stretch the outer velcro strap enough to cover all of the exposed velcro and not snag your shorts at all.
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...e/Ambush,12697
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    RF Ambush here as well. I tried them all and the RF were far and above the best in protection, fit, and comfort.

Delirious Tuck
    +5 on the RF Ambush. Comfy to pedal in all day and they stay put and do their job when you go down.

Knomer
    I am fascinated with the trend of 'no shin protection', and the way knee wraps dominate the marketplace these days. I've heard some pretty absurd phrases thrown around during the leg/shin protection discussion, like "too cumbersome" or "too hot", when we all know this movement is basically a fashion statement. I mean c'mon, when's the last time your shins overheated causing you to bonk? The only valid argument against full leg guards is that they don't pack as well as knee wraps. Bottom line is, I am absolutely terrified of the spikes on my Twenty6 pedals, and love having my shins protected against them.

I ride 12 year old ROACH leg guards for shuttle/park riding, and ride IXS Dagger knee wraps for AM riding.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Get the RF Ambush. Best knee protection I have found. The back opens up so no need to remove shoes to put on. They also have two layers of velcro strap to get the perfect fit. I have had a couple of good diggers wearing the pads and they have yet to slip. We don't get PHX hot here in ABQ, but I wear the pads all year round, with no problems. They are also very comfortable for pedaling.

Pretty good read here, but I would add that you can stretch the outer velcro strap enough to cover all of the exposed velcro and not snag your shorts at all.
    Race Face Ambush Knee Pad ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Knee/Shin Pads - Vital MTB
    +1 - I had just bought new 661 knee pads when I saw some of these RF pads at the LBS. Tried them on and bought them. No regrets so far. They fit great and are comfy for 5hrs rides. My friends are jealous that I can put them on and take them off without messing with my shoes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    661 Evos, really nice fit and lots of protection without getting too hot. The d3o is really good. I do a lot of trail riding and have never felt they are too much, the athertons use them in world cup races so they must think they offer good enough protection for even the biggest hits.

Delirious Tuck
    Dusty - how often to you get the pedal to the shin vs. back of leg? Yes, you could end up with stitches on the back of the leg from the pedals, but for front protection you don't normally hit shin, just knees.

If you're still running these you worry about front shin contact.

Name:  100_3001_copy0.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  2.2 KB

I have em on my trials bike and use full knee/shin as I'm likely to slip a pedal and kick it back into the shen.

Personally - the knee/shins ride down and the whole thing torques during crashes. I have both gen 1 and 2 POC full DH gigs and both the over knee sleeve and no-sleeve versions were useless in crashes, like coulda used stitches cuts/etc. The Ambushes have been great in similar or bigger crashes staying put and saving my knees from abuse and abrasion.

Also, higher socks stop the front pedal pin digs about 93.2% of the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I am fascinated with the trend of 'no shin protection', and the way knee wraps dominate the marketplace these days. I've heard some pretty absurd phrases thrown around during the leg/shin protection discussion, like "too cumbersome" or "too hot", when we all know this movement is basically a fashion statement. I mean c'mon, when's the last time your shins overheated causing you to bonk? The only valid argument against full leg guards is that they don't pack as well as knee wraps. Bottom line is, I am absolutely terrified of the spikes on my Twenty6 pedals, and love having my shins protected against them.

I ride 12 year old ROACH leg guards for shuttle/park riding, and ride IXS Dagger knee wraps for AM riding.
    No sh!t! I just got some twenty6 pedals and simply touching these pedals breaks skin. Weapons!

mtbr member
    I am fascinated with the trend of 'no shin protection', and the way knee wraps dominate the marketplace these days.
    I have both varieties of pads, but wear knee only most of the time. I just don't end up hitting my shins. Same goes for elbow+forearm vs. elbow alone. I have both, but wear the elbow only most of the time.

Just like I don't wear a full face helmet - although one of my buddy's wears one on every ride we do together.

My GF wears shin protection a fair bit and seems to smack her shins a lot.

Protective gear is risk management and what you wear depends on how you see your risk and what's happened to you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Knollician

Good points. I have been running the RaceFace/Roach Rallys FRs since I started wearing pads. They are great pads, but are not the best for longer pedaling rides. I couldn't imagine wearing them for Mag7 or Porc, or some of the more pedally stuff here. I would always run the XL size as the pad would sit on my shoe and couldn't move on an impact.

At this point it seems like I either buy the Rallys again, or try something new like the Ambush. Besides, you can't be "Enduro" with full leg protection!

mtbr member
    Let me preface this by saying that I have always hated bike pads. Nothing I ever used before would actually stay up, so I always use an old pair of CCM street hockey pads.

That said, the best knee pads I have ever tried on were the new Scott Grenade pads. I haven't used them so I can't say for on trail performance, but they seemed like they would stay on, and not bunch up too much when my knee was bent. I would buy those pads in a heartbeat if there was ever any situation where I felt I wanted knee pads but didn't want shin protection.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I have been running the RaceFace/Roach Rallys FRs since I started wearing pads.
    Agreed! I actually used to wear Core Rats (anyone remember those?) before the Roach Rallys, but I've been wearing Rally's ever since. Well, almost ever since. I went through a 2 month period this summer without wearing any armor before replacing my Rallys. I have several permanent tattoos on my shins now that happened in just that short time period. I can't imagine not wearing shin protection if you ride flat pedals!

mtbr member
    I have been rolling with the POC VPD 2.0 long knee/upper shin pads this season. I only wear them for 1 in 10 rides around here. Overall they are comfortable and do require an occasional tug to keep them where they need to be. They also require putting on before your shoes. I tend to push and twist the pad down on to my calves for long climbs. So far they have worked well for crashing. The half shin guard stops about half of the pedal strikes to the shins...go figure.

Only other pads I have owned are the full leg armor POC bone series. For shuttle or lift serve they have been excellent. Not too bad to pedal in and they stay put. Have not tried the RF Ambush, but they look like one of the better designs out there.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Protective gear is risk management and what you wear depends on how you see your risk and what's happened to you.
    As true as it is this made me laugh, and if we thought about it properly we'd probably all go out with a full suit of armour on. If anything, protect your upper extremities: Elsevier
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

MC MasterShake
    I don't use anything for trail riding but I use the POC VPD 2.0's for gravity riding or if I'd doing some crazy long shuttle type run. I also have pair of RF Rally DH's if I'm doing true DH riding. I don't really hit my knees or shins that much so I tend to not use pads when most others do.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    No sh!t! I just got some twenty6 pedals and simply touching these pedals breaks skin. Weapons!
    I used to cut myself pretty much every ride with my twenty6 Predators. I just put them back on last Friday, and have managed 2 blood-free rides. Yay me! I remembered that they were grippier than my Crampon Ults (which finally need service, hence the swap), but I was still amazed at HOW much grippier.

I've been using the Dainese Oak Pros for the last year+, and they've been OK but not great. I've had them slide on me in a crash. I've been considering a replacement, and the RF Ambush are near the top of the list. I was(am?) a little skeptical of the hook-and-loop straps staying in place, but it sounds like they're getting plenty of votes in this thread, too.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Knollician
    Just ordered up some Ambush's. I'll post back after a few rides.

mtbr member
    I have used the Roach, and I like the POC bone better. However I have the V1 POC VPD knees and now I wear those in everything from XC to DH races. Funny thing is that for the V1 they said 'these don't slip etc. IMO all knee pads are designed improperly. So before the V2 came out (with their inferior 'optional' strap system), I modified my POC V1. I wear underarmor compression socks. and they stick like glue. Lol, that reminds me, I used to actually use 3M Type 77 adhesive to keep my pads in place. I hate sliding/rotating pads. But I figured I was getting way too many solvents in contact with my skin, so I did the mod on the pads. (I used tie-down velcro to get the perfect (non-flexible) strap.

I was planning to cut my Bone shin armor off, and use the shin part in conjunction with the VPD knee, but never got around to it. If I rode in rocky areas more often, that is probably what I would do. Anyone that looks at their leg flex at the knee can tell that essentially no combined shin/knee will work very well, as the forces are always trying to rotate the pad (external rotation). The solution in my mind is to use 2 different products, unattached. And since the POC bone shin has a calf protector, that is ideal.

YMMV
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast