Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Warden wheelset...decisions!

With the Warden being my first 650b bike, I'm going to need a new wheelset. I have a few ideas of what I want to build and was looking for peoples opinions. My two build were:

Industry Nine classics laced to DT supercomps and Nextie carbon rims

or

Industry Nine Enduro wheels

With respect to weight the Enduro wheels are 1680g and I believe the carbon wheelset could come in at sub 1500g, a pretty substantial difference. The prices for these wheelsets are pretty similar so leave that out of the question, and yes SoCal I might consider the Derbys if I have the extra coin.
    Last edited by KineticFear; 02-24-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    With the Warden being my first 650b bike, I'm going to need a new wheelset. I have a few ideas of what I want to build and was looking for peoples opinions. My two build were:

Industry Nine classics laced to DT supercomps and Nextie carbon rims

or

Industry Nine Enduro wheels

With respect to weight the Enduro wheels are 1680g and I believe the carbon wheelset could come in at sub 1500g, a pretty substantial difference. The prices for these wheelsets are pretty similar so leave that out of the question, and yes SoCal I might consider the Derbys if I have the extra coin.

Either of the options are great. Personally I would vote for option 1. I do not have any experience with carbon rims, or Nextie, but one of the guys I ride with here has several Light Bike rims and has had no issues. I'm looking at LB 35mm hookless rim which weighs in about 400grams. I also prefer standard hubs as I like to do my own wheel builds. I have had I9s in the past, and the wheels were incredible. However, it would have cost me about $800 to have them rebuilt with 823s and fresh spokes. Just my thoughts.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    DL31 can be had for cheap

mtbr member
    never heard of nextie??? any reviews out there?

Biking Like Crazy!
    I built a 27.5 wheelset with the Nextie 35mm wide rims and really like them a lot. About 385gms each, good quality, and fast delivery.
    Had them on the Chili but the BB was 14in. high. Got them on a Niner WFO (BB 13.2) now. Won't ever go non carbon again at those prices.
    BTW I have I9's on my Chili now and am researching what ERD I would need to convert to carbon rims.
    I'm totally sold on carbon rims to the point I will eventually put them on my Podium.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Very curious on these wheels as I was looking at Light Bicycle. I am doing i9 hubs and spokes; can these nextie wheels be tied to i9? I am a fan of the Enduro wheels from i9 as they are bomber but to save about a 100 grams a wheel would be nice . Looking for light rims that can take a beating .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would go for the industry nine torch hub as the spokes are a bigger gauge and probably will be a stronger build and they offer a reynolds carbon rim build I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the replys guys. Blcman, its good to hear some positive reviews about the Nextie rims. I too have a pair or I9 Enduros laced to flows and its been a great wheelset and I plan to keep it on the Chili.

Nomad, you have a good point. Does anyone know what spoke hole diameter Industry 9 proprietary spokes use? It seems like I9 spokes/hubs with Nextie rims would be killer!

Knomer
    Dec 2013
    Or you could go with a wheelset that has served me thru the life of my previous bike, my Endo now and will be moving to a pump track hardtail next. I laced Stans Flow EX with DT Champion to Hope Pro 2 Evo. The hubs are such an easy hub to service, can be adapted for nearly rear or front system.
    Knolly USA Warehouse
    City of Angels

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree, Hope Pro 2s are great hubs and I have a pair on my Podium (laced to 721s and DT Comp spokes) but once you get used to hubs with high engagement there's no going back.

Knollician
    I agree, Hope Pro 2s are great hubs and I have a pair on my Podium (laced to 721s and DT Comp spokes) but once you get used to hubs with high engagement there's no going back.
    The new Pro2s are 9 degrees, Kings are 7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Warden wheelset...decisions!-i9_enduro.jpg

32h front and rear on new enduro 26 wheelset

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    The new Pro2s are 9 degrees, Kings are 7.
    Kings are every 5 degrees at 72 POE, Industry nine are every 3 degrees at 120 POE...currently running I9 on the Chili

Knollician
    Kings are every 5 degrees at 72 POE, Industry nine are every 3 degrees at 120 POE...currently running I9 on the Chili
    Ah yes, thanks for the correction.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How are the Stans Flow Ex/ Stans Hubs that come in the build kit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Syntace w35

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    Syntace w35
    love the looks of them and syntace make some beautiful stuff, but you don't see them much in north america. wish i did see a set first hand, they look awesome, but pricey

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ryde Trace Enduro? They kinda fall into the same category as the Syntace but are a bit cheaper. These are wide, yet light rims most suited for technical terrain, not so much for higher speeds in rough terrain.

mtbr member
    I think Hope has a new higher POE setup for their hubs. I'm not 100% on that, but bike geek buddy told me so and he's usually bang on.

Not sure if it's retrofittable to the previous version of the Hope Pro 2 hubs or not?

Found the link:

Pro 2 EVO hub
    Thought we couldn't improve on one of the best hubs on the market? Well we thing we've managed it. The hub now has a new 40 tooth ratchet fitted for super quick pickup. The quicker ratchet also makes for a slightly quieter action (but don't worry it's not too quiet). We also have axle conversions available for all the new "standards" so you'll never be left with an incompatible hub.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I think Hope has a new higher POE setup for their hubs. I'm not 100% on that, but bike geek buddy told me so and he's usually bang on.

Not sure if it's retrofittable to the previous version of the Hope Pro 2 hubs or not?

Found the link:
    hope have 40 poe now. not upgradable unless you change the hubshell from what i understand. hopes were always an awesome value with 24 poe, now even better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Probably should go with the 27.5"
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    qbert, your right about not being able to upgrade to 40poe without changing the hub shell.

Can anyone with a spoke calculating software check my spoke lengths?

Rim ERD: 560mm
    Warden wheelset...decisions!-i9-front.jpg
    Warden wheelset...decisions!-i9-rear.jpg

Dr. Pepper drinker
    qbert, your right about not being able to upgrade to 40poe without changing the hub shell.

Can anyone with a spoke calculating software check my spoke lengths?

Rim ERD: 560mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I9 Front.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	873663
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I9 Rear.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	873664
    3 cross front and rear? What hubset is that diagram for? I can run it for you.

Sounds like you were planning for I9 classics but that looks like a diagram for the 2013 model (Torch) based off the rear flange diameters.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Catch22,

Yes, 3 cross front and rear. Also I should have specified but I am using the Torch series I9 hubs.

Here's what I got.
    Front L = 270
    Front R = 274
    Rear L = 271
    Rear R = 270

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Catch22,

Yes, 3 cross front and rear. Also I should have specified but I am using the Torch series I9 hubs.

Here's what I got.
    Front L = 270
    Front R = 274
    Rear L = 271
    Rear R = 270
    Yours are right on the money with what I got.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast