Anytime. Anywhere.

Warden, Steep, or Slack

I've had my Warden a few months now and have been very impressed with it. Mostly I've left it in the slack setting and it's been great. Rips the downs, climbs really well, and still handles tight sections well. The last 2 rides have been in the steep setting and yeah it climbs tech a little easier, corners well etc. what surprised me is that it still felt great when the going got steep tonight. On the rolling rocky section it was amazing. I'm going to leave it in steep for a while. Which setting does everyone else prefer? Do you switch often or just leave it?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    As a potential Warden buy I'm interested to know this too. It's easy to think 65.5* doesn't seem that slack for a "trail bike" based on what the cool kids are all doing, but I do wonder if it's a bit much for the average rider on average trails.

Yebo Numzaan
    I have had two solid rides on my Warden and it is still in the steep mode. I have ridden my Chilly for nearly 4 yrs now and it has been in the steep mode for every ride except one day of shuttling.

But...I am curious and will probably give the slack a go. I recall the day after shuttling...i got on for a pedal and i thought i was going to fall off the back!
    I support EMBA

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just got back from what I guess you'd call all mountain of BC cross country. Left it in the steep setting and the Warden did everthing except buy lunch. The King of bikes.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I rode my Chilcotin for 2+ years almost exclusively in steep mode with a 170 Lyrik. I tried slack a couple times but in slack with a DB Air (non-CS) it just rode too low for tech trails. I smashed pedals and bashguards and even got chucked over the bars on a couple downhills getting hung up on stuff. I gave up on the slack setting
    (maybe would have used it if I rode bike park/flow trails) and left it in steep and loved the bike there for everything from super tech slow speed to fast and flowy.

When I got my Warden, I immediately assumed with a Stage set at 160mm that I would want it in steep. I set it there and rode it that way for a few weeks including a quick trip to Moab. For some reason, I wasn't feeling nearly as comfortable on the Warden as I was on my old Chili. The only way I can explain it was that I felt a bit tall on the bike and kind of off balance/tippy. I was riding fine as a whole but was occasionally botching corners and losing my balance on slow speed tech moves that usually wouldn't bother me. I actually started questioning whether I might have made a mistake in switching bikes. One day I was conversing with Dusty on FB about the bike and he mentioned he had been riding in slack full time and I thought I might as well give it a go. My next ride out on a techy out and back trail I rode the out in steep and then for the first time switched to slack on the way back. Suddenly, I was right at home on the bike and got back that 'in' the bike feeling that I loved with the Chilcotin. I was back on balance and ripping turns just the way I wanted. I'm now officially in the 'leave it in slack for good crowd' and I never would have predicted I'd be here. I've had the Warden down to Moab and Fruita/GJ on a couple longer trips and been riding a bunch in Park City and couldn't be happier with the bike.

So, my 2 cents, no matter what setting you think you'll like, give them both a chance and see what works best for you.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Yebo Numzaan
    Ja. Did a lap yday in steep and switched to slack. Didn't feel as different or dramatic as when I made the change on the chilly. Road climb seemed the same and descent felt noticeably more stable / just better. Will probably just stay like this now. That was interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride it in the slack setting, and for most of my riding it is better. Although, it really depends on where you live. I am in Brevard, NC where for the most part, the trails are not overly technical. I can get out on some hairball stuff where climbing can be trickier in the slack setting, but it just rails all the fun easy/well ridden stuff closer to town.

IF you switch back and forth, make sure you grease the bolt between each test.

mtbr member
    I have ridden the Warden in steep mode for around 8 months. I tried slack a few weeks ago and I really liked how it handled, but it was difficult to avoid pedal strikes.

Yesterday I decided to switch the 60mm stem for a 50 and tried slack mode again. Ok, slack mode really pushes my buttons. The fit on the bike is better also. I really feel "in the bike" now. So I only have one problem to solve, pedal strikes.

I did some research on crank lengths and I may try to go down to 165mm. It seems that short cranks are the new "wide bars". I have been riding 175's for a long friggn time and never gave it a second thought. The 165's will require raising the seat some and hopefully that won't upset things too much. I will report back with my findings.

Bubba
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member

Slack

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I rode my Chilcotin for 2+ years almost exclusively in steep mode with a 170 Lyrik. I tried slack a couple times but in slack with a DB Air (non-CS) it just rode too low for tech trails. I smashed pedals and bashguards and even got chucked over the bars on a couple downhills getting hung up on stuff. I gave up on the slack setting
    (maybe would have used it if I rode bike park/flow trails) and left it in steep and loved the bike there for everything from super tech slow speed to fast and flowy.

When I got my Warden, I immediately assumed with a Stage set at 160mm that I would want it in steep. I set it there and rode it that way for a few weeks including a quick trip to Moab. For some reason, I wasn't feeling nearly as comfortable on the Warden as I was on my old Chili. The only way I can explain it was that I felt a bit tall on the bike and kind of off balance/tippy. I was riding fine as a whole but was occasionally botching corners and losing my balance on slow speed tech moves that usually wouldn't bother me. I actually started questioning whether I might have made a mistake in switching bikes. One day I was conversing with Dusty on FB about the bike and he mentioned he had been riding in slack full time and I thought I might as well give it a go. My next ride out on a techy out and back trail I rode the out in steep and then for the first time switched to slack on the way back. Suddenly, I was right at home on the bike and got back that 'in' the bike feeling that I loved with the Chilcotin. I was back on balance and ripping turns just the way I wanted. I'm now officially in the 'leave it in slack for good crowd' and I never would have predicted I'd be here. I've had the Warden down to Moab and Fruita/GJ on a couple longer trips and been riding a bunch in Park City and couldn't be happier with the bike.

So, my 2 cents, no matter what setting you think you'll like, give them both a chance and see what works best for you.
    I've been sticking to this SLACK ONLY mantra for the last 3 years on the Chili....We ride at what is one of the most technical trail systems in the country and after reluctance, the other 5 guys in the group that ride Chilcotin's have one by one made the switch to SLACK and won't go back. DH is obviously better, but everyone also seems to feel more "in" the bike as well and kill the climbs and extremely technical lines better too. The pedal strikes will go away if you're having difficulty initially. You will simply learn to adjust naturally. I'm at 65.5 head angle (170, external cup, SLACK, 175 cranks)...SERIOUSLY KICKS ASS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ride same trails on both settings.
    66° and low BB do not affect to much uphilling ability of the bike, but 67° and high BB makes me much slower on DH sections. my choice- SLACK settings

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The slack setting made the bike's front end calm down and made the decents way better. You have to watch the front end climbing a little but only marginally.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm finding I like both and it only takes a minute to switch.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Been in slack mode for a month and have adapted to all riding situations quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    +1.

mtbr member
    Great! Slack attack!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warden, Steep, or Slack-image.jpg