Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warden sizing

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Warden sizing

The wardens specs look huge! I was in between medium and large on a Chili, but the large Warden looks really big. But it has a shorter seat tube. The seat tube on the medium is way too short for me, but the top tube on the large is freakishly long. wtf knolly?

mtbr member
    What size Knolly do you normally ride? Noel put up a post a few weeks ago that said all the frames were designed so that if you ride a medium Chili, you're going to ride a medium Warden, etc.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    What size Knolly do you normally ride? Noel put up a post a few weeks ago that said all the frames were designed so that if you ride a medium Chili, you're going to ride a medium Warden, etc.
    Well my Chili is my first and only Knolly and I was between M and L. Went with M. Decided it is too small, so I was going to swap it for a Large with a 35mm stem. The large feels long to me, but better than the medium. Now Im thinking about selling the Chili all together and getting the Warden, but the Medium wont work as the seat tube is way too short. Which is a shame for me because the ETT looks about perfect on the medium. The large ETT is a half inch longer than the large Chili. The the seat tube angle is a degree slacker though, does this play into things with ETT? Im sure it does but dont know how. I dont know. Jeezum. Noel or Dusty care to chime in here??? Can you tell I over think the shite out of things?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was wrong about the ETT differences. It was reach that is half inch longer...

mtbr member
    I just looked, the ETT on a large Chili is 24.6", the ETT on a large Warden is 24.8", so not sure where you are getting 1/2" difference? The 0.2" difference is a whopping 5mm, I really don't think you will notice that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown View Post
    I was wrong about the ETT differences. It was reach that is half inch longer...
    Ah ok.

Yeah I can't really say, I tend not to over analyze that stuff anymore. I follow Noel and Kevin's advice.

mtbr member
    I am one to love a longer reach, more space in the cockpit which with my large Delirium that was not the case, I don't like feeling cramped. One reason I loved my Yeti ASR-7 so much was the typical longish Yeti top tube!

My demo on a large Warden was spot on, so much roomier feeling than my Rune V2. I am ~6'-2"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im 5'11"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Im 184cm went with L size. Im gonna put syntace 30mm stem on it. And still if you count stem lenght on reach, it will be 10mm longer reach(stem icluded)than my L size cotic soul with 50mm stem. I believe it will be really good for me.

Maybe you should ask from knolly, they are hElpfull

mtbr member
    I don't think .2" is really noticeable. Plus, with the degree slacker seat tube, it will put u closer reach when seat is slammed for techy descents!

Knomer
    We have a very simple sizing formula here at Knolly: you tell me how tall you are, and I tell you what size to ride.

You are 5'11, which means you ride a large with a 50mm stem.

5'10 is a much more complicated scenario involving all sorts of charts and graphs with cross sections for torso dimensions, etc. But 5'11 is easy.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    We have a very simple sizing formula here at Knolly: you tell me how tall you are, and I tell you what size to ride.

5'10 is a much more complicated scenario involving all sorts of charts and graphs with cross sections for torso dimensions, etc. But 5'11 is easy.

I'm waiting on my large green Warden to arrive here in Australia. But I may have the option for the XL frame.
    My height is 187.5cm or 6.25 feet. Inseam is 83cm 32.7 inches. Long torso, short legs! I've tried a large Chilli and Endorphin and they felt ok, but I also ride an XL hardtail 29r. Looking at the Warden geometry, still not sure?
    Last edited by xpose; 06-04-2014 at 12:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

I need to see a pie chart.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How about 5' 10.5"? Will the math world explode?

mtbr member
    Yes it will, or did. Using Dusty's complex variable equations, which uses cascading and nested logarithmic algorithms to determine the size, with the output given in a 5 dimensional axis, I plugged in your aforementioned value.

The size it returned was "Does not compute, your screwed. Go to Wal-mart and buy a NEXT bicycle."

mtbr member
    dusty is running to check what they have available in the warehouse. That will be the proper size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    dusty is running to check what they have available in the warehouse. That will be the proper size.
    Hahaha, good one.

Delirious Tuck
    My head hurts. Too much math.

I'm 6'2'' with orangutan long arms. I ride XL Chili, Endo, Warden and a L Podium (for sooper flickability). All work perfectly for me.

If you have stumpy short arms, YMMV.

Knomer
    187.5 centimeter = 73.818 inches = a hair under 6'2". This is another tweener height, but throwing short legs into the equation lands you sqaure into size LARGE. You can always adjust for torso with saddle rail positioning and stem length.

Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    I'm waiting on my large green Warden to arrive here in Australia. But I may have the option for the XL frame.
    My height is 187.5cm or 6.25 feet. Inseam is 83cm 32.7 inches. Long torso, short legs! I've tried a large Chilli and Endorphin and they felt ok, but I also ride an XL hardtail 29r. Looking at the Warden geometry, still not sure?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    I am almost the exact same proportions as you. I had a large Chili, currently have a large Endo, and have demoed a large Warden. They have all fit perfectly.

Go with the large you will be very happy. Noel must have similar proportions to us because these bikes almost feel custom fit to me. There is little I would change on all his large bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've been lucky enough to get accepted onto the Grassroots programme for next year but I'm struggling a bit with picking a size for a new Warden. I'm 187cm, my seat height from centre of bb to top of the saddle is 82.5cm.

The reach on the large looks perfect for me but I'm slightly concerned the seat tube will be a little bit too short. My last bike was an xl new nomad, almost identical in reach, yet it was 20mm longer in the seat tube than a large warden and yet I still had 28cm of post exposed on it. Just slightly concerned that due to the slack seat tube angle, running a lot of post will put me a bit too far behind the pedals?

I'd prefer to ride the large if possible as I think it would suit my riding style better but I'd still like a good efficient pedalling position if possible!

Hope you guys can help solve my dilemma!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Long and short of it...

I went with the large. BTW... this Warden is awesome! Although I found the less slack position (effective seat tube angle @ 75*) made pedalling much more efficient, but it still handled great on the downs.

I'm a big unit, over 100kg! and I probably look huge on it. But the reach is perfect with a 70 mm stem and I reckon it suits my riding style.
    It's super quick and feels well balanced. I can really move it around and then let that beautiful Fourby4 lsystem do its magic! Just loving this bike! Still, I save most my pedalling for the hardtail!

Congrats on making the program mate. I'm sure your on a winner whatever way you go.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by trialsben View Post
    I've been lucky enough to get accepted onto the Grassroots programme for next year but I'm struggling a bit with picking a size for a new Warden. I'm 187cm, my seat height from centre of bb to top of the saddle is 82.5cm.

The reach on the large looks perfect for me but I'm slightly concerned the seat tube will be a little bit too short. My last bike was an xl new nomad, almost identical in reach, yet it was 20mm longer in the seat tube than a large warden and yet I still had 28cm of post exposed on it. Just slightly concerned that due to the slack seat tube angle, running a lot of post will put me a bit too far behind the pedals?

I'd prefer to ride the large if possible as I think it would suit my riding style better but I'd still like a good efficient pedalling position if possible!

Hope you guys can help solve my dilemma!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great stuff! Thanks for the reply. The bike sounds awesome and I can't wait to get on and let her rip!

How tall are you just out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great stuff! Thanks for the reply. The bike sounds awesome and I can't wait to get on and let her rip!

How tall are you just out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    187.5cm. Just a tad under 6'2". But shorter on legs and a bit longer torso.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast