mtbr member

Vivid Air on Delirium

I may be going at this the wrong way, but I always feel like I'm riding too deep in the travel of my bike. I'm looking for a little less plush, and a little more easy to pop off lips.

This is where I get the idea for an air shock, but I don't know much about the tunings or internal workings of shocks. The shock I'm looking at has a low compression tune and med rebound tune. What do these mean, and what would that mean for what I'm looking for? Or am I just going in the wrong direction altogether?

mtbr member
    I think most people will tell you that you are going the right way with the wrong shock. It seems the DBair is the one to own. Better in every way (performance wise) than the Vivid. I set mine up on the Chilcotin and the Podium both, and essentially, you can get it to do whatever you need it to. Its also helpful that I weigh about as much as DustyBottoms, so I didn't have to mess with it much.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member

Vivid Air on Delirium

Pretty lame comment really that stinks of bias. The Vivid Air is an amazing shock.

OP, I don't know what the leverage ratio of the DT is, but you may have the wrong tune.

Firstly I would go to YouTube and look for the VA setup vid by SRAM. Study that.

If that fails, contact Knolly to get the leverage ratio of the DT, and reference that on the SRAM/RockShox website to check what tune VA would suit the bike.

You may need to get a different one.
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

mtbr member
    May 2004
    While the CCDB-A is an incredibly popular model, I did enjoy the Vivid Air that SRAM setup at a SRAM Experience event that I attended.

Here's my short impression:
    Forgot about the Delirium greatness - Page 2

Tune: M (compression) L (rebound)
    Vivid Air on Delirium-20120317_111332.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help, everybody. Right now I have DB Coil on it, but I can never dial it in to the spot I want. I'm not saying it's not there, I just can't hit it, so the idea of less setup in a shock is appealing to me.

I found this for the leverage ratio:
    Name:  Knolly Chilcotin 2011_LevRatio.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  26.8 KB

And a link for the tuning guides:
    http://www.bike-components.de/downlo...rage_ratio.pdf

The thing is, I don't know what the tunes mean. Can anybody explain that?

Character Zero, I liked some of the things you said about riding higher in the travel and keeping your momentum through pumping. It looks like the tune was low compression and medium rebound, and your review implies low compression, is that right?

Sorry if I should see if this has already been asked before, but does anyone have ideas for adjustments to the DB Coil that could help me get what I want? It seems like I can go way down on lsr and way up on lsc and it makes bumps really harsh, but still doesn't achieve what I want.

Thanks for the replies, and your knowledge.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thedeathstar View Post
    Thanks for the help, everybody. Right now I have DB Coil on it, but I can never dial it in to the spot I want. I'm not saying it's not there, I just can't hit it, so the idea of less setup in a shock is appealing to me.

I found this for the leverage ratio:
    Name:  Knolly Chilcotin 2011_LevRatio.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  26.8 KB

And a link for the tuning guides:
    http://www.bike-components.de/downlo...rage_ratio.pdf

The thing is, I don't know what the tunes mean. Can anybody explain that?

Character Zero, I liked some of the things you said about riding higher in the travel and keeping your momentum through pumping. It looks like the tune was low compression and medium rebound, and your review implies low compression, is that right?

Sorry if I should see if this has already been asked before, but does anyone have ideas for adjustments to the DB Coil that could help me get what I want? It seems like I can go way down on lsr and way up on lsc and it makes bumps really harsh, but still doesn't achieve what I want.

Thanks for the replies, and your knowledge.
    That is right, pic of the air can shows R: Medium, C: Low.

how much sag are you running on your DB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    That is right, pic of the air can shows R: Medium, C: Low.

how much sag are you running on your DB?
    30% generally, which actually leads me to another thing I forgot to mention. I bought the bike from a lighter rider, so I'm on a 250# spring. According to both the Knolly and Cane Creek website I am right between a 250 and 300. With the 250, I can't have much less sag because it's already so preloaded.

What are the advantages of going heavier coil/less preload vs lighter coil/more preload? I imagine going heavier would make the small bump qualities harsher, but could that be remedied by dialing back the lsc?

Bnerd
    I think that is your issue right there. The wrong spring rate.
    You should get a stiffer coil before laying out money for a new shock.
    Basically you're trying to dial the shock settings and preload to compensate for the wrong spring rate. The shock won't feel good because of this. I think that once you have the right coil on the shock the bike will feel much better.