Thread: Used Endo or DT

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Used Endo or DT

So im trying to decide what to get and its driving my batty. Earlier today I was torn between a Foes FXR, Endorphin and Intense Tracer 2. The intense got sold so its FXR and Endo but I keep coming back to the DT. Im 6'1" about 210 I will be on 90% single tracks with moderate downhills and small gaps and drops(under 4'). The rest will be a few bike park trips a year for some DH and light FR. I prefer sub 35lb bikes but from what I read the DT is a great all around bike but I feel its overkill, however will the Endo(the two Im looking at have fox CTD rears) be able to handle me ripping single tracks and sub 4' drops(and occasional 6' to flat and some DH)? My local track I would say is pretty technical(for east coast trails) but I don't back down from any drop or gap and tend to be slightly cavalier on the trails b/c I get bored real easy. thanks
    BTW these are used bikes 2008-2010
    Last edited by mdredneck; 07-13-2013 at 06:53 AM.

%$#$*!
    Probably not what you want to hear, but based on what you've wrote I would get a Chili with the new CCDBair CS. The Chili frame is only about a pound heavier than the new Endo frame, can easily be built up under 35lbs, and handle a ton of abuse. I've seen a couple of used Chili's on pinkbike and ebay recently.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Probably not what you want to hear, but based on what you've wrote I would get a Chili with the new CCDBair CS. The Chili frame is only about a pound heavier than the new Endo frame, can easily be built up under 35lbs, and handle a ton of abuse. I've seen a couple of used Chili's on pinkbike and ebay recently.
    ^^^^^ This. He is a wise man, listen to him.

The Chili is an exceptional do everything type bike.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Believe me thats the frame I want, its just not in the budget right now. I edited my post I forgot to say Im looking at used bikes and they are in the $1500 dollar range. I want the chili bad it just cant happen right now.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Used Endo or DT

If you buy a $1500 filler bike then the Chili REALLY won't happen for a while! Buy a beater Craigslist bike to keep your legs up and buy a used Chili this offseason. I've seen a few pop up this summer so I'm sure there'll be more this winter

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the OP's size and general riding conditions sound similar to me. I have a 2010 Endo with a Fox 36 and RP23. The bike handles the jumps, drops, light DH as you describe it just fine and I am also happy with it for more pedal and climbing intensive rides. A friend of mine had a DT (2008 I think - not the subsequent Delirium) and while that obviously worked fine in DH/FR type stuff it was a bear for "all mountain" type riding that inc any significant amount of climbing. To the point where he finally got fed up, bought himself a proper trail, all-mountain bike (and now has a dedicated full on DH bike as well...). Set up is obviously a huge variable to consider. good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Almost every review I read says the DT pedals and climbs like an AM but i feel that if you are not doing FR type riding too often it may be too much of a bear on single tracks, but the Endo just doesn't "look" that strong although I know if probably is.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    IMO, largely based on directly observing my friend and riding it a couple of times myself, the DT was an old-school freeride style of bike. Yes, you could pedal it. Honestly, you'd rather not after awhile. I find my old Endo plenty stiff and strong. I agree that the 1-1/8 head tube does make for an anemic looking front end compared to current bikes but I've always found the bike to track true and shift well in all the terrain I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the input, There are a couple for sale Im looking at what should I pay for a 2009-10 Endorphin. I think both have x9 builds one with Talas forks one with Suntour Epicon(eh) both have ctd rears.

%$#$*!
    I had an old endo and it was plenty strong. It can handle the occasional downhill and 4' drops. Not sure I would want to hit 6' drops to flat with it, though. However, my main issue with it was the geometry. To get it where I felt it was more on the AM/Light FR side, I put in an -1.5 angleset and short-shocked it with a 7.75 i2i shock. After spending a lot of money for aftermarket upgrades, I realized I should have purchased a new endo or chili to begin with. If you already have a ride I would save up and pick up a used Chili frame (it wouldn't be much more than your budget now) and slowly transfer parts. You will be much happier in the long run, but it will be painful waiting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    if it was me i would look for a delirium,,,,, not sure if youll get one in that price range,,,, i know fanatyk co in whistler have a medium raw 2011 delirium frame forsale, not sure how much,,,
    if you cant get a delirium in your price range, then i would look at a dt, i had one for 5 years it was faultless, amazing bike, it was built up park strong, at 44lbs, but i still rode it as a trail bike to. was it overkill maybe, but who cares it still padaled and climbed well. even if i did suffer lol it made me fitter and stronger, you wont go far wrong with a dt.
    as for the old endo, cant really comment, as i never had the pleasure,,, i recently built up a 2013 endo, but only rode it twice due to back injury, all i can say is from the short time i spent on it, wow. this thing climbs like a goat, no bob, it surges forward like my chromag stylus hardtail, it's pretty good on the decents to. if the old one is anything like the new one, then that to will be an awesome bike.