mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Upcoming Endorphin Build....Parts List

This upcoming build has been a long time coming. Originally planned for early 2013, the rebirth has now begun. The reason for having to shelve my original start date was due to a 3 year unemployment situation. Part of that was due to a move from MT to GA and subsequent purchase of our new home. I spent the first year painting and re-landscaping in an effort to make the new house our "home". Once that was completed to a comfortable point, I started the job search. It took 2 years, but I am finally gainfully employed as of a month ago.

I've been riding 29" the last 4 years, coming from 26" before that. I've been a "fan" of Knolly for some time, and decided last year that it was finally time to own one. I started here on the Knolly forum reading up on all the various threads regarding not only the Endorphin, but all the different Knolly bikes. But, the Endorphin fits my riding style and the locations that I ride mostly, which are the mountains of North GA, Tn, and NC so that was my choice.

First and foremost, I want to thank Brandon (tiSSer) and Kevin from Knolly . They both spent a lot of their own time, through phone conversations and emails, going over all of the critical points in helping me make my decision. They were professional and understanding of all my questions, and offered up expert advice. I'm sure I will be asking more questions as I proceed with this new build.

So...here is what I have so far. Please offer up any critiques, questions, or maybe different options that maybe I've overlooked.

Frame-Large...day glo yellow.
    Fork- Revelation RCT3...140
    Wheels-Pacenti TL28
    Spokes-Wheelsmith
    Hubs-Hope Pro 2 Evo 32 Hole 40 Point Engagement
    Rotors-Shimano RT86 180mm Ice Tech
    Brakes-Shimano Xt M785
    Stem-Race Face Atlas... still trying to decide between 60 or 70
    Headset-Cane Creek 110 Series
    Bars-Chromag Fubar OSX
    Grips-Ergon GP1
    Shifters-Sram X0 2x10
    FD-Shimano XT M785 E2 type 2x10
    RD-Sram X0 10 Speed
    Crankset-Race Face Next SL 2x10...32-24...Blackspire chainrings
    Seatpost-Race Face Next SL
    Pedals-Chromag Scarab
    Saddle-Chromag Trailmaster
    Rear Shock-For the time being I will stick with the Fox Float CTD
    Seat Collar-Chromag
    Cassette-Sram PG1070 11x36
    Chain-KMC X10SL
    Bash Guard-Chromag

There you have it. My last 3 bikes have been custom builds also. I thoroughly enjoy piecing together my bikes. There are so many options out there so I take my time. Some of the parts listed I have used before on my other builds that I know and like. The Chromag items will be a first for me, as well as the Pacenti wheels, but I have heard great things about both their products, and I actually talked to Kirk Pacenti personally when I called, and he was very professional and friendly so I figured I'd give his wheels a go. Didn't hurt that they were on sale for $35.00 instead of $85.00 either.

I look forward to all opinions.
    Last edited by kevinboyer; 02-21-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Looks good.
    A few thoughts:
    Go with the Pike. It is a great match for the Endo and very little weight difference compared to the Revelation.

Go with a dropper post.

Not sure what your typical riding is like but you might want to think about a bigger spread on the front chai rings. I would go 36/24.

Have fun on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pike for sure. I've owned both and the pike is much better. Personally I would go with a dropper but it may not be needed for your riding so that's a personal thing. With that chainring combo I would just split it in the middle and go 30t 1x spiderless on the next sl cranks. You will save another pound and have less parts to maintain. I have that setup on my chilli and love it. Most of my climbs are 2-4000ft and I do fine with it. Overall it looks like a solid build

%$#$*!
    Go for the Pike and send the CTD to avalanche.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like the consensus is for the Pike which I figured it would be. I've seen some decent prices for the Pike recently, some even with discounts. I'll probably forego the dropper post. Based on where I ride, I'm not sure it warrants a dropper. I seriously gave some consideration to going 1x, but I really like that "granny" gear on some of the long singletrack climbs that I encounter. Regarding the CTD to Avalanche, that definitely crossed my mind based on all the conversations I've seen here on the forums.

Thanks for the reply's and recommendations. Any thoughts on spokes? This will be my first custom wheel build.

mtbr member
    DT Swiss comps. If you want to spend a little more and save some weight go Super Comps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Super comps or revolutions. I just build a wheel with revs and they built up nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I second the avalanche tune on the ctd. Loving mine so far.

mtbr member
    One minor detail, but in my experience the Chromag seat collar is way better than the Hope.

And look into getting some carbon bars.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

For Carbon Handlebars look at either Chromag Cutless or the new Chromag BZA bars. You would require a Chromag BZA stem or any other stem that accepts 35mm handlebars to run BZA handlebars though.

As for spokes I second DT Competition or DT Revolution spokes. They build strong wheels with decent weight savings. Also on the topic of spokes, DT ProLock nipples work great and stay tight.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I seriously gave some consideration to going 1x, but I really like that "granny" gear on some of the long singletrack climbs that I encounter.
    You can actually do a 1X10 setup for a reasonable price that will save your "granny" gear. You give a up a little bit of top-end speed (see the green highlights) but you can keep the same "granny" gear feel (see lavender highlights). Here's how:

-- Convert the 11-36 to 11-42 by removing the 17T cog from your SRAM 11-36 cog and adding the 42T cog built by either WolfTooth or OneUp .

-- Use either a 28T or 30T chainring, like this WolfTooth Drop-Stop direct mount.

28X42 feels the same as 24X36 (ignoring the weight savings)
    30X42 feels the same as 24X34 (ignoring the weight savings)

Upcoming Endorphin Build....Parts List-1x10-vs-2x10.jpg
    Last edited by TSC; 02-17-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knollician
    Hey Kevin,

Congrats on the bike, great choice. My vote is for Day Glo yellow, flat out my favorite color. I agree with all the above posters, PIKE is a no brainer, carbon bars, and Chromag QR (I think I have one I could send you). I also agree on a dropper. I was not a fan of droppers until recently. I bought a Thomson, a company right in your back yard, and won't go back. I think I may use my dropper more than my rear shifter. It is a game changer.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    You can actually do a 1X10 setup for a reasonable price that will save your "granny" gear. You give a up a little bit of top-end speed (see the green highlights) but you can keep the same "granny" gear feel (see lavender highlights). Here's how:

-- Convert the 11-36 to 11-42 by removing the 17T cog from your SRAM 11-36 cog and adding the 42T cog built by either WolfTooth or OneUp .

-- Use either a 28T or 30T chainring, like this WolfTooth Drop-Stop direct mount.

28X42 feels the same as 24X36 (ignoring the weight savings)
    30X42 feels the same as 24X34 (ignoring the weight savings)

Attachment 870455
    TSC,

I am blown away by what you have laid out in your post. I had no idea this could be done. This has me really thinking now that maybe I can go 1x. It's a bit more money to do it the way you've shown, but it's doable. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks very much.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    TSC,

I am blown away by what you have laid out in your post. I had no idea this could be done. This has me really thinking now that maybe I can go 1x. It's a bit more money to do it the way you've shown, but it's doable. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks very much.
    Rory showed me most of what I know about 1x10. I'm just glad I could pass it along.

BTW, I changed that picture a bit. It had a small error that didn't affect anything that concerns you. Also, I added a column at the end that show the 30X42 vs 24X34 comparison.

Upcoming Endorphin Build....Parts List-1x10-vs-2x10.jpg

TSC
    Buehliever
    Silly POS editor won't let me post the new one; but I was able to replace the original with it.

EDIT: ...and it shows up NOW, after this post. AWESOME TECHNOLOGY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    You can actually do a 1X10...
    He's back!

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by switchmode View Post
    For Carbon Handlebars look at either Chromag Cutless or the new Chromag BZA bars. You would require a Chromag BZA stem or any other stem that accepts 35mm handlebars to run BZA handlebars though.

As for spokes I second DT Competition or DT Revolution spokes. They build strong wheels with decent weight savings. Also on the topic of spokes, DT ProLock nipples work great and stay tight.
    I was very close to going the Chromag route for my Endo build but the Race Face Next bars are ridiculously light, 335g w/ Atlas stem. Chromag BZA bar and stem comes out to 410g. Really not much difference but I was also able to get the Race Face set for cheaper.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Upcoming Endorphin Build....Parts List-image.jpgHere is one with a light trail build and one with a heavy AM build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I was very close to going the Chromag route for my Endo build but the Race Face Next bars are ridiculously light, 335g w/ Atlas stem. Chromag BZA bar and stem comes out to 410g. Really not much difference but I was also able to get the Race Face set for cheaper.
    Ya they are both great products nothing against the Race Face stuff at all. I didn't know how light the race face handlebars and stem were. I just know the strength to weight ratio on the new chromag stuff is huge. That's the BZA head to head with the OSX, being a bigger guy that's important to me. Good points though being an Trail Build and all.

mtbr member
    The Chromag BZA parts look awesome, I really like the way the stem looks. And no doubt they are strong. When it is time to upgrade my Chili to 35mm it will be between BZA (780mm wide, 245g) and SixC (800mm wide, 210g.)

The Atlas stem wasn't my first choice, but it was in stock and the only reason I opted for the Next bars was availability. Now that I have the bars installed and have had some ride time with them I have no regrets. Carbon bars are not just a good way to save weight, they really do change the way the ride feels.

All geared up I add about 200lbs to the bike and the Next bars and the Endo do not mind at all.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    the chromag qr seat collar is defo well better than the hope one,,,, i had a hope on eon my dt, and replaced it with a chromag, all our bikes now have chromag seat clamps.

TSC
    Buehliever
    If you want to get a Wolf Tooth 42T chainring they are currently being sold. They come in red, black, and silver.

The site says:

Sales will now open every week on Tuesday at 4pm US Central Standard Time. Sales will stay open until our weekly volume output has been reached, at which point sales will be closed until the following Tuesday at 4pm CST. We anticipate sales to stay open for more than 24 hours.

Any orders with GCs in them will ship between 2-3 weeks after they are placed. We invite you to place separate orders if you are ordering other products so you don't have to wait for those other products.

mtbr member

-cabra cadabra