Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    206

    Tubeless question

    I've been running maxxis minion 2ply super tacky 2.5 tires and they've sealed tubeless really well needing no sealant. I've recently switched to maxxis minion 2.35 single ply 60a compound for weight reasons.

    Question is after a single ride there's been lots of microscopic air leaks in the sidewall scattered all over the place. I can see tiny droplets of sealant coming through and sealing. I'm pretty shocked cause this is tiny rubbing along the sidewall that is causing leakage and now i'm not so confident going downhill on them cause there's lots of sharp rocks and edges where I am.

    Do you guys have this experience with single ply? Or have I bought the wrong tires?

  2. #2
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    I've been running maxxis minion 2ply super tacky 2.5 tires and they've sealed tubeless really well needing no sealant. I've recently switched to maxxis minion 2.35 single ply 60a compound for weight reasons.

    Question is after a single ride there's been lots of microscopic air leaks in the sidewall scattered all over the place. I can see tiny droplets of sealant coming through and sealing. I'm pretty shocked cause this is tiny rubbing along the sidewall that is causing leakage and now i'm not so confident going downhill on them cause there's lots of sharp rocks and edges where I am.

    Do you guys have this experience with single ply? Or have I bought the wrong tires?
    The single ply 2.35s are a very light tire, less than 700 grams on my scale. The sidewalls are very thin. The 2.5 EXO tires would be a better option for durability and still provide a reasonable weigh savings over DH tires. many of the new Maxxis tires are now tubeless ready.

    I was a dedicated DH tire user many years ago, even for XC rides as I preferred the durability of the DH tires. However, new tire technology is really pretty incredible. The EXO casings are lighter and tougher than regular tires from a few years ago. Still not as tough as DH tires though.

    Enduro racing and new bike tech are really pushing tire manufactures to keep up. People want lighter, stronger, gripper tires and we are starting to see them on the market now. With the huge increase in popularity of Enduro racing, I bet the next few years will be very good for us the consumer.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    The single ply 2.35s are a very light tire, less than 700 grams on my scale. The sidewalls are very thin. The 2.5 EXO tires would be a better option for durability and still provide a reasonable weigh savings over DH tires. many of the new Maxxis tires are now tubeless ready.

    I was a dedicated DH tire user many years ago, even for XC rides as I preferred the durability of the DH tires. However, new tire technology is really pretty incredible. The EXO casings are lighter and tougher than regular tires from a few years ago. Still not as tough as DH tires though.

    Enduro racing and new bike tech are really pushing tire manufactures to keep up. People want lighter, stronger, gripper tires and we are starting to see them on the market now. With the huge increase in popularity of Enduro racing, I bet the next few years will be very good for us the consumer.
    Damn so I should've bought the exo's then. I thought that since it was the minions 2.35 that the sidewalls would still be decent. After all it is an aggressive tire. Hmmm, not so confident taking them downhill now cause my trails has many irregular rocks that would love to rip a weak sidewall.

    So does that mean that guys running tubeless are all on 2ply or exos and not single ply?

  4. #4
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Damn so I should've bought the exo's then. I thought that since it was the minions 2.35 that the sidewalls would still be decent. After all it is an aggressive tire. Hmmm, not so confident taking them downhill now cause my trails has many irregular rocks that would love to rip a weak sidewall.

    So does that mean that guys running tubeless are all on 2ply or exos and not single ply?
    I'm running the EXOs tubeless is pretty nasty terrain and have had very good luck. I have had 2 rear punctures, but they were both in the same spot on the trail, and I was haulin'. A quick tubeless plug and I was back on track. I wouldn't touch the 2.35 version for this type of riding. They work well for more XC oriented riding.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  5. #5
    Yebo Numzaan
    Reputation: Muttonchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    534
    hey tiSS'er what rims have you got the EXO mounted on. I haven't had much luck mounting them unless I use the ghetto split tube system. I am just building up a wheel with a new Stans flow...that might make the difference. cheers.
    I support EMBA

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,708
    I have mounted the EXOs to Stans, WTB i23s and 823s.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  7. #7
    Yebo Numzaan
    Reputation: Muttonchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    534
    Rats...I better up my tubeless mounting game. I am normally trying to mount them to bent and dinged rims - so that is the most likely problem. I will have no excuse once I get this new wheel built up.

    Broken finger now healed (nearly). Riding trail for the first time tonight (don't tell the doc)...stoke.
    I support EMBA

  8. #8
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    hey tiSS'er what rims have you got the EXO mounted on. I haven't had much luck mounting them unless I use the ghetto split tube system. I am just building up a wheel with a new Stans flow...that might make the difference. cheers.
    Flow Ex. Love this rim
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Similar Threads

  1. Tubeless question
    By drwx in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM
  2. Tubeless question from tubeless newb
    By johnb in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM
  3. Going tubeless question
    By LvilleFan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
  4. tubeless question
    By dundundata in forum Specialized
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
  5. Tubeless question
    By jmallory in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •