Huh?
    Apr 2005

Trail Ride recommendations around Whistler

I know this is'nt Knolly specific but I'm looking for some local knowledge and seeing as how the trails there inspired Knolly I figured I'd ask here.

We'll be heading to BC in Sept. Staying near the Whistler Village we plan on doing a day in the park but really want to get out and experience BC's must ride trails. I know there is a ton of trails up there but we have 5 days to hit the highlights. Setting aside one day for the Park. So what say you fellow Knolly riders?
    To give an idea or our riding and what we're looking for, when we went to Moab we did the Enchilada twice. Not the whole as the second time we started in Hazard. Technical XC, all mountain, flowing DH, whatever you want to call it. I still think of it as just mountain biking.
    Thank you

Unit 91
    Sounds like a great time. Ive been there twice (last time aboard my Chilcotin, and my wife on her Warden) and there are many great trails there. Whistler has a lot of trails within access from the village. There is a nifty app that you can buy that works off GPS and helped us immensely while on the trails. A few of our favorites were Microclimate (long climb on the Blackcomb side to get to Micro) and almost anything in Squamish. I would def add Top of the World to your list and consider bailing out mid way for Khybers Pass to BC trail. We were able to try this route as TOTW wasnt open yet, but it came recommended by the locals.

And make sure to stop by the Dubh Linn Gate Irish Pub for a pint.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Whistler is da bomb! I've only been once but we got a few good days of riding in. The lift stuff really lives up to the hype. Make sure to hit it midweek and try and time it so you get a dryer day. It can get pretty sketchy when wet. Definitely do Top of the World. It's worth the extra $ for sure.

As far as the Valley trails go make sure to get the App. Extremely helpful for navigating and for choosing the trails. There are so many out there that you won't be able to hit all the good ones in 4 days so you'll have to be a bit choosy. It's also worth chatting up the bike shop guys to get a good route and local intel on the trail conditions. Don't be afraid to ask your waiters and waitresses as well. We got some real good advice from one of the waitresses while we were there. This site is g

Here is what I recommend based on what I hit:
    * Comfortably Numb > Was kind of meh. Very punchy technical riding and not really worth the climb to get to it. I wouldn't avoid it, I just wouldn't go after it.
    * Billy's Epic to River Runs through it > Super fun steep loose gnar riding all the way into town. Once your in town River Runs through it is a classic windy spinny trail with fun smaller features. Kind of a classic.
    * MicroClimate > Like Prophet said, Awesome Trail! One of my favs.
    * It's Business Time! > This one is on the outskirts going towards Squamish. Amazingly well built trail. Very creative It's a shorter climb with amazing technical punchy features. It's kind of a short trail though. Maybe 1.5 hour w/climb at a medium pace.

We hit a bunch more trails but these are the ones that really stuck out.

Enjoy your trip!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Yebo Numzaan
    trailforks.com

get the app on your phone

Purchase trail karma (donate to the trails)

visit Squamish for a day...do the same for Pemberton...go to the top of the world

explore...have fun.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Is there a good time to go to Whistler with respect to trail conditions? Someone said to me that before Crankworx the trails get an overhaul? Does this mean they at their worst after Crankworx?

Yebo Numzaan
    Hey Bru,

I have experienced both...if we get rain the week before CWX or during...the trails will be trashed. I have experienced stellar conditions during and after - when the weather has held up.

In general the week or two before is pretty awesome...

also...one thing to consider is that this year there will be the whole new zone + lift open dropping down to Creekside...perhaps less pressure on trails and they will stay in better condition.

I think you should maybe look at the risk of rain...because the later you leave it...the more chance of cold / rain and that will be more of a bummer than bumps IMO.

Keep us in the loop...I am there for 10 days from before CWX and during.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    We've gone the 2nd week in September and the 3rd week the following year and it was pretty damn' good. Very little rain and the trails were in great shape. Since it's towards the end of the season it was very uncrowded and easier and cheaper to do things.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    We've gone the 2nd week in September and the 3rd week the following year and it was pretty damn' good. Very little rain and the trails were in great shape. Since it's towards the end of the season it was very uncrowded and easier and cheaper to do things.
    Late August, September and early October are where it's at for the Vancouver / Squamish / Whistler / Pemberton corridor, weather permitting of course.

My favourite trails in the area (outside of the bike park):
    • Microclimate as others have said is awesome. There are a few other trails in the area that are worth checking out as well (as others have stated, Trailforks gives a decent overview) and even going up to do Golden Borner is a fun quick lap.
    • Similar area: The Yummy Numby climb is great and can either be ridden as a quick out and back (the descent is super fun and there is a bypass so you don't have to descend the gravel road part of the climb) or you can link it into Comfortably Numb and ride out through Lost Lake.
    • Howler: Brutal climb, but awesome trail: perfect for 6 x 6 bikes. Definitely worth making the extra push at the end to do the less ridden / slightly more challenging short upper section. Also, many other good trails (Green Monster) in this area.
    • Flank trails: lots and lots to loop together here and new climbing trails really help open up the area. Cheap Thrills is a classic and Danimal is super fun.
    • Business time is a ton of up and down and quite different form other trails in the area which are more "climb / Descend".

That's a small start - definitely check in with some shops and see what's running well!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    That's a small start - definitely check in with some shops and see what's running well!
    Boy, that's an understatement. So many trails up there, just in/around Whistler, not to mention Squamish and Pemberton.

Nothing to add here to what the more local guys have suggested, however I will second the suggestion to spend a day (or two) in Squamish. I really enjoyed Rupert, Treasure Trail, and Entrails to Garanga...... not to mention Angry Midget and Half Nelson.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Great thread!! 9 of us are heading out for my 40th in September....Finally going to see BC!!!

What are some of the rowdiest, steepest trails out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Great thread!! 9 of us are heading out for my 40th in September....Finally going to see BC!!!

What are some of the rowdiest, steepest trails out there?
    What bikes are you bringing? We can suggest a bunch of trails on Cypress, but you won't be happy on AM bikes!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Haha, I like the sound of that! I was debating between Chilcotin and Podium or both, however, I'll likely be going with one bike being the Chilcotin.

mtbr member
    Rowdy trails outside of the park; green monster, hey bud (old exit), Bush doctor, gargamel, cheap thrills, ACDC, jaws, crazy train...

In the bike park; goats gully, in deep, no duff, renegade, French connection, Canadian open.... Lots of Rowdy stuff! I live in Whistler and do coaching /guiding all summer long any questions go ahead.

Something I will say to the OP; one day in the park is a cruel tease,do more!

And the Whistler trails recommended are great, there's lots of amazing shorter trails that you can link up its not like one trail for a whole day (other than comfortably numb which is overrated IMO). For example; farside to see colours and puke to highside to hi hi to high line to business time the whole way then back up microwave road to ampm would be a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Rowdy trails outside of the park; green monster, hey bud (old exit), Bush doctor, gargamel, cheap thrills, ACDC, jaws, crazy train...

In the bike park; goats gully, in deep, no duff, renegade, French connection, Canadian open.... Lots of Rowdy stuff! I live in Whistler and do coaching /guiding all summer long any questions go ahead.

Something I will say to the OP; one day in the park is a cruel tease,do more!

And the Whistler trails recommended are great, there's lots of amazing shorter trails that you can link up its not like one trail for a whole day (other than comfortably numb which is overrated IMO). For example; farside to see colours and puke to highside to hi hi to high line to business time the whole way then back up microwave road to ampm would be a sweet ride.
    Great stuff...Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE For example; farside to see colours and puke to highside to hi hi to high line to business time the whole way then back up microwave road to ampm would be a sweet ride.[/QUOTE]

got a good idea of the mileage on that combo?

thanks
    breezy shade

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations. September can't get here fast enough.

mtbr member
    What bikes are you bringing? We can suggest a bunch of trails on Cypress, but you won't be happy on AM bikes!
    What are some of the killer trails on Cypress? Is this shuttle?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    [QUOTE For example; farside to see colours and puke to highside to hi hi to high line to business time the whole way then back up microwave road to ampm would be a sweet ride.
    got a good idea of the mileage on that combo?

thanks[/QUOTE]

It's a good 2hr ride maybe? Not real long, kind of arduous climb up but the ride down is super fun.

Yebo Numzaan
    Cant wait!!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    What are some of the killer trails on Cypress? Is this shuttle?
    Bump?

mtbr member
    Bump?
    I imagine these are "show" trails he's talking about, not "tell" trails.

Hopefully he'll chime in or shoot you a pm. I'm super interested in the "Howler" trail he suggested too. I've never been disappointed with any of the trails Noel has shown me.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I imagine these are "show" trails he's talking about, not "tell" trails.

Hopefully he'll chime in or shoot you a pm. I'm super interested in the "Howler" trail he suggested too. I've never been disappointed with any of the trails Noel has shown me.
    Would LOVE to be shown by "THE MAN"!!

Yebo Numzaan
    Dude - share your trip plans...would dig to join for a day / weekend or whatever. Happy to show you some goods in the woods
    I support EMBA

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Most of the trails on Cypress are in the North Shore app. It can be a spicy hill but darn fun.

Krob, Howler is in the WORCA app, pretty easy to find. As mentioned, the climb is pretty hateful, 2000+' straight up to a loose, sharp, twisty down. Fun times indeed.

Over on the West side, I sure like A Rock Work Orange to Korova Milk Bar to Wzard Burial Ground. I mean, with names like that, how could they not be fun.

mtbr member
    Err is correct in that most of the well known Cypress trails are shown on trailforks and such. Just look for black and red trails: several are somewhat old school but that just keeps you honest! Also, there are some unmarked trails on the east side of the mountain that are suitable for trail / AM bikes as well. We rode one of these during the 2014 Knollyfest and they can be great fun but you do need to climb to access them.

With some advanced notice, I'd be stoked to ride!

Cheers!

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Dude - share your trip plans...would dig to join for a day / weekend or whatever. Happy to show you some goods in the woods
    Sweet! Sept 10-17. Do you know Squamish well?

mtbr member
    Err is correct in that most of the well known Cypress trails are shown on trailforks and such. Just look for black and red trails: several are somewhat old school but that just keeps you honest! Also, there are some unmarked trails on the east side of the mountain that are suitable for trail / AM bikes as well. We rode one of these during the 2014 Knollyfest and they can be great fun but you do need to climb to access them.

With some advanced notice, I'd be stoked to ride!

Cheers!

Noel
    Thanks Noel...I was just looking at the map and looks like Cypress may be a bit of a haul from our location in Whistler. We were thinking 2 days Pemberton, 2 days Squamish, 2 days Whistler unless you think Cypress is a MUST DO. We'll be there Sept 10-17 which will give us 6 full days of riding beyond the 2 travel days. Would love to hook up if you're around...

mtbr member
    Thanks Noel...I was just looking at the map and looks like Cypress may be a bit of a haul from our location in Whistler. We were thinking 2 days Pemberton, 2 days Squamish, 2 days Whistler unless you think Cypress is a MUST DO. We'll be there Sept 10-17 which will give us 6 full days of riding beyond the 2 travel days. Would love to hook up if you're around...
    Go with your current plan for sure: you can spend months riding in these three areas, so you'll have plenty to do for the 6 days that you're there.

Let's try and meet up: we'll get few more as well. I know the AM / tech trails in Squamish pretty well and enough of the Whistler Valley trails to keep us entertained. I'm sure I can swing a day or two

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Be aware that on September 10th, there is a Gran Fondo going from Vancouver to Whistler, so you don't want to be driving the highway anywhere between those two points if you can help it, as it will be partially closed down to accommodate the thousands of road riders.

mtbr member

Let's try and meet up: we'll get few more as well. I know the AM / tech trails in Squamish pretty well and enough of the Whistler Valley trails to keep us entertained. I'm sure I can swing a day or two

Cheers!
    Sounds like we have the makings for a 2016 KnollFest BC!

Noel
    Mayha
    Muttonchops
    Who else is in??

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sounds like we have the makings for a 2016 KnollFest BC!

Noel
    Mayha
    Muttonchops
    Who else is in??

Good call Err. I've also had Rockwork Orange-Korova Milk Bar-Wizards Burial Ground recommended to me several times. We just never got to it. Time to go back.

Quoted for truth.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Go with your current plan for sure: you can spend months riding in these three areas, so you'll have plenty to do for the 6 days that you're there.

Cheers!
    Sounds great Noel! We are flexible on the days so whatever works best for Squamish is cool. With 9 of us going it will sure be a party on the trails!! 4 of us have Podiums but we're likely just taking the trail bikes out as we plan on only two days of lift. REALLY looking forward to it!!

mtbr member
    Sounds great Noel! We are flexible on the days so whatever works best for Squamish is cool. With 9 of us going it will sure be a party on the trails!! 4 of us have Podiums but we're likely just taking the trail bikes out as we plan on only two days of lift. REALLY looking forward to it!!
    I"ll commit to leading two days worth of rides: one in Squamish and one in Whistler. Weather depending, I have them picked out already!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    I"ll commit to leading two days worth of rides: one in Squamish and one in Whistler. Weather depending, I have them picked out already!

mtbr member
    Oh man, one day I'll make the pilgrimage to Mecca, er, I mean Whistler...

Any kiwis keen for Knollfest Rotorua?

Yebo Numzaan
    Sweet! Sept 10-17. Do you know Squamish well?
    haha - rad. Looks like we got us a party with Nuncle Noel joining in. I am already stoked to join for as many rides as possible. I can show you around the Shore / Whistler / Squamish / Pembie...good enough to get us into trouble - have a little fun and get us out again.

Does your crew party on the trails?
    Are you flying in (Vancouver)? / driving (you're on the East coast right?)
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    This thread has definitely piqued my interest. Checking calendar....
    "My car of choice is a 12 year old civic that runs on the tears of my life choices." - redditor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    haha - rad. Looks like we got us a party with Nuncle Noel joining in. I am already stoked to join for as many rides as possible. I can show you around the Shore / Whistler / Squamish / Pembie...good enough to get us into trouble - have a little fun and get us out again.

Does your crew party on the trails?
    Are you flying in (Vancouver)? / driving (you're on the East coast right?)
    Nice! Scarier the better Flying in to Vancouver (all on the same flight from Boston) Sept 10th.....Perfect timing for the Gran Fondo. Will we need to find a way/route around this? Probably getting 2 big vans...

mtbr member
    Nice! Scarier the better Flying in to Vancouver (all on the same flight from Boston) Sept 10th.....Perfect timing for the Gran Fondo. Will we need to find a way/route around this? Probably getting 2 big vans...
    There is no 'way around' the Fondo. I suppose you could take the scenic route through Hope, but Im pretty sure you wont want to If your flight gets in late enough, you will probably miss it. I think the last cut-off times in Whistler are ~3:45pm. Not sure how long they keep it closed for (they close one side and I believe have single lane traffic on the other side).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds like you have things pretty well planned out. If you are hitting up Squamish and you are looking for something that will blow your mind you MUST ride Treasure Trail. This trail has it all. Steep, rocky, flowy (in spots), jumpy, and a total work of art. You won't be disapointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I would LOVE to get connected for this ride!! Anyone able to do a ferry pickup/dropoff in H Bay?

Re: Fondo - I got stuck in the traffic unknowingly a few years back, and buddy had the same thing happen last year. Doubled the time to make the trip, but it's not impassable. IIRC it made a 2 hour drive into about 4. If you're making a day trip, I'd say pick another, but if it's a travel day before a bunch of riding it shouldn't be too bad.

Yebo Numzaan
    Aghh Treasure. That trail has a special place right close to my heart...my rib cartilage. Slipped a pedal at the top of a steep chute last yr and tore the rib cartilage when I hit my saddle with my chest at the bottom...didn't crash tho'. Some say it was a spectacular save!

Good stuff...Tough call to name just one trail as a fave in Squampton...Rigs to the new stuff down low is pretty cool.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    I day dream about Treasure Trail a lot!! Here's a great vid of Yoann Bareli hitting it. I got to really appreciate his vid as I've watched a bunch of dudes literally crawl down it before finding his vid. Looks like a blast!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=645911295519205

Regarding the Fondo...sounds like we'll be cheering on some roadies as we roll up from Vancouver.

mtbr member
    I day dream about Treasure Trail a lot!! Here's a great vid of Yoann Bareli hitting it. I got to really appreciate his vid as I've watched a bunch of dudes literally crawl down it before finding his vid. Looks like a blast!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=645911295519205

Awesome video of Treasure Trail (at warp speed). Definitely brings back some fond memories..

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Good ol' Treasure. I have pedal spike tattoos from when I slipped a pedal at the bottom of one of those chutes. Such a great trail!

At that time, we also rode a ridiculously steep trail that I thought was harder than Treasure. Don't recall the name. Felt more like a controlled fall, than a trail.
    "My car of choice is a 12 year old civic that runs on the tears of my life choices." - redditor

Yebo Numzaan
    Rad video...34 seconds in...that's my spot. At least Bareli slowed down
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Good ol' Treasure. I have pedal spike tattoos from when I slipped a pedal at the bottom of one of those chutes. Such a great trail!

At that time, we also rode a ridiculously steep trail that I thought was harder than Treasure. Don't recall the name. Felt more like a controlled fall, than a trail.
    Gouranga!

We'll do more of that

BTW: the main "double Rock Face" just before you reach the gravel road is the one that Doerfling is riding on his Warden at Mach Schnell, in the rain near the end of this vid (1:44 thru 1:57):
    Fairweather - James Doerfling Video - Pinkbike
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post

Entrails and Garanga maybe. It was definitely more downhill and steeper. Maybe more techy in that way. Treasure Trail more up and down with wood features and a few short rollers.

Is this the one you're thinking of?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Ride recommendations around Whistler-knollfest3.jpg  

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Gouranga!

We'll do more of that

BTW: the main "double Rock Face" just before you reach the gravel road is the one that Doerfling is riding on his Warden at Mach Schnell, in the rain near the end of this vid (1:44 thru 1:57):
    I remember that vid from last year. Love the Doerfling edits!!! And psyched to finally ride these trails!

mtbr member
    Gouranga!

We'll do more of that

I thought so. I saw that video last year on PB and I just noticed that I had asked at the time what trail he was riding near the end. I had no idea it was one I'd actually ridden..... although at nowhere near that speed. Plus it was nice and dry and tacky when we rode it. Dang.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Is this the one you're thinking of?
    That's the one!

Thankfully, Noel was there to prove it was doable.

mtbr member
    Can't believe how fast he takes that in the rain!

Just ridiculous skills...

mtbr member
    Has anyone taken the plane drop up in Pemberton near the Chilcotin's?

Yebo Numzaan
    Looks like a pro line to the riders left?
    I support EMBA