Thread: touch-up paint

si vis pacem...

touch-up paint

Anyone out there with any experience using automotive touch-up paint on their Knolly? I have some shuttle scars I'd like to repair and while I know that it won't be an exact match, I'd like to get it as close as possible. I'm looking for a match for the white, but feel free to provide suggestions for other colours as well.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    IMO scratches like scars add character to the frame. besides that why bother touching it up unless you'll never shuttle again? Of course I understand the resale aspect of a clean, scratch free frame, thats why I prefer RAW.

si vis pacem...
    I guess. I'd rather that the scratches and scars come from crashes because I was trying something cool instead of coming from the bike getting bounced around in the back of a truck. Maybe I should just cover it up with a sticker or something.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I hear ya on getting the scratches for something other than "I was coming down this insanely steep roller to tight left hander when I hit the roots half way down, hit the ground and slid about 10 feet before I caught a tree at the edge of 40 foot drop off.

The first scratch is always the hardest. I had an RFX before in British Racing Green, Stayed scratch free all of 2 rides. Nothing as exciting as the parody above.

As to the question at hand I do think auto paint would probably be your best bet. Use it sparingly and apply thin layers. Cover with some clear nail polish to seal. This is what I was told when buying some for my truck

si vis pacem...
    I figured auto paint would be best, but I was just curious if anyone had tried this already and what colour they used. I went to the store to get some the other day and was blown away by how many different kinds of white there are. Come on Knomers, nobody out there has touched up a frame?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
    I figured auto paint would be best, but I was just curious if anyone had tried this already and what colour they used. I went to the store to get some the other day and was blown away by how many different kinds of white there are. Come on Knomers, nobody out there has touched up a frame?
    Are you talking the new frames or the older frames? I'm assuming the whites are different since they were painted in different factories?. I found one that was a pretty close match for the old Endorphin. After a teardown and rebuild I rushed to get back on the trail without dialing everything in and gave my driveside stays some pretty unsightly chainsuck scratches that I covered with some auto touch up paint from WalMart. Even there I found about 6 different varieties of white so I just picked one, I think some shade of Toyota white. It wasn't an exact match but came out looking alright. I already had a auto touch up kit for our car and the super fine grit sandpaper pads were nice to smooth everything out a bit in the end.

I wish I could find a good match for the blue on the Chilcotin. The small scuffs and scratches I don't mind but I put a 2 inch long chip in the square edge of the downtube of mine after bailing in some rocks on one of the first big rides I did on the new frame. I suspect the blue is a really tough match though.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Perpetual Hack
    If memory serves the 2010 Deliriums were painted by Chris Dekerf.
    Maybe get a hold of him and ask for a paint code - or even a bottle of touch-up.

Thinking of doing this for my white 2010 D.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A good auto paint supplier should be able to match the frame color very closely if you bring a clean bike in with you.

si vis pacem...
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    If memory serves the 2010 Deliriums were painted by Chris Dekerf.
    They were indeed. As far as I know, Knollys were painted by DeKerf right up until production moved overseas. My frame is a 2012 (so from Taiwan) but the white looks the same as the white that was used on older production frames.

Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    A good auto paint supplier should be able to match the frame color very closely if you bring a clean bike in with you.
    This might be the way to go - probably easiest anyway. Thanks!