Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MC MasterShake

Which tires for the new Endo?

Looking for some recommendations for a set of tires for the new Endo. Since I have a Chilli to handle the rough stuff I'm trying to keep this bike light and fast. I'm in the Boston area so most of my riding is technical with some hardpack thrown in. Also, I plan on running them tubeless and I haven't had much luck with it in the past. So I'm thinking a 2.25 to 3-ish tire that's on the tougher side, that does tubeless well, and isn't overly heavy. I'm willing to give up some traction for speed but I think I need to keep the volume on the high side.

For reference on the Chilli I'm running the HR2 2.4's and I was running Ardents in 2.4 forever.

mtbr member
    I'm in the north east. Not sure how light you want to go with a tire but on my smaller bike I'm running 2.2 trail kings front and rear. I have 2.35 Hans dampfs on the chilli. Much lighter that the 2.2 TKs and the rocks rip a lot of tires to shreds. When its super dry I like 2.25 racing Ralph's but they aren't much use on the wet.

mtbr member
    I've been running specialized Butcher control up front and Cpt. Control on the back. Easy tubeless setup. Good combination. Descent rolling resistance. I wouldn't mind shaving a bit of weight. Both tires are over 700 gr. The butcher is about 780 with some old dried sealant in it.

I want to check out the Ground Control, nobby Nic and rocket Ron.

mtbr member
    I really like the Fat Alberts. They are a fast tire, but still have great traction.

If I ever get the chance to build up an Endo I would run the same tires as my Chili. I have had some miserable crashes riding light-weight tires.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Good thread, I was curious about this as well. I run a Muddy Mary or Big Betty in the front (2.4) and a Dampf (2.35) on the rear of my Chili. With me looking into an Endo, I'd want something a bit lighter as well to save weight and roll faster. I was thinking something similar to what G-air has on his Endo, I think he's got a 2.3 in the front and 2.2 in the rear?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Knollician
    I'm running the same combo G-Air is running. I actually like the combo, but as G-Air stated, the Butcher is a bit heavy and not the best roller. The Captain Control is about 670 grams, tubeless ready, and really big for a 2.2. I love it as a rear tire, even though the rubber compound is a bit hard. The Captain hooks up very well for me, especially on the Endo when out of the saddle. The center row tread is close together so it rolls really well, but the knobs have different shapes to them adding to the biting edges. They also act as mini-paddles. The transition knobs are well sorted as they fall in between the side knobs. This is important as they do not block the side knobs' ability to dig in. Once on the side knobs, they hold a line very well. Chances are very good that my next front tire will be a Captain.

I have been running the Captain on the Endo for a while, and had them on my 29er for a year with no issues on our rock death traps. It's really a good tire I would consider.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

MC MasterShake
    Yeah, I remember you recommending those to me. I kinda backed off when I saw the weight of the Butcher and the fact that it's a 2.2. So the Captain Control it's a large 2.2? Would you say it's as big as the Minion 2.35? I know those tend to run small. The fact that you've run those tires for awhile on your terrain tubeless is encouraging.

MC MasterShake
    Yeah, I have the Racing Ralphs and will keep those for race day. They roll so fast and are so light but they are so sketchy on wet stuff on techy stuff.

I didn't have much luck with the Hans Damps on my Chilli. The 1st few rides were awesome. Light weight, tubeless, sticky but it quickly went downhill with white ooze everywhere and constant flats. I ended up putting them on the wife's bike (hope she doesn't read this ).

The 2.2 TK's are on the list but they are pretty heavy for a 2.2 How big are those compared the HD's or the Ardents? For me the 2.25 Ardents are probably the perfect sized, volume, weight tire but the tread becomes terrible in a month.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Yeah, I remember you recommending those to me. I kinda backed off when I saw the weight of the Butcher and the fact that it's a 2.2. So the Captain Control it's a large 2.2? Would you say it's as big as the Minion 2.35? I know those tend to run small. The fact that you've run those tires for awhile on your terrain tubeless is encouraging.
    They are much bigger than the 2.35 Minions. I originally swapped the rear Minion for the Captain as I wanted something that rolled better. After mounting them up, I couldn't deal with the how small the DHF looked in front, even though I was liking the tire. Reminded me of a hilljack 77 Camaro Anyway, I put the Butcher on simply to complement the size and volume of the Captain. The Captain 2.2 is as big as the Butcher 2.3 on my Swiss 450 rims. The Captain does a good job of filling the rear stays on the Endo (with room to spare for mud)
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

MC MasterShake
    I hear you on being under-tired. I blasted through a rock garden this weekend on my 2.25 Racing Ralphs and I felt like my brain was shaking in my head. Very sketchy.

I used to Fat Alberts all the time like 7 years ago before they changed them up. They had a tendency to keep their treads longer than they should and ended up riding like crap because I was too cheap to upgrade tires before the knobs wore off. I'm assuming you're running the 2.4's on the Chilli. How do they like being tubeless?

MC MasterShake
    That size is encouraging. I've just read some review and folks are saying it's a great dry weather tire but terrible in the wet. That would be a concern as we often have a lot of wet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    IMO...

Front: Trail King 2.2, Nobby Nic, Mtn King 2.2 or 2.4 with Protection, possibly a 2.3 Purgatory (havent personally tried that tire in the front), or Ardent with EXO. Maybe a Rocket Ron for race day if the course is buff or loose over hardpack.

Rear: X King 2.2 with Protection, Mtn King 2.2 with Protection, Small Block 8, Ikon, Specialized Captain.

mtbr member
    Ardents are only good for re-cycling.

High Rollers
    or
    Big Bettys
    or
    Butchers
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    http://tweedlove.com/

mtbr member
    Big Betty's are 900g tires. Not ideal IMHO for a guy who wants a lightweight race type bike who also has a Chili.

For a Chili, Betty's are a good recommendation. For a Endo, not so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    2.25 EXO Ardents on flows paired well with my endo for a long time. Very fast and predictably drifty...reasonably light for their size....very fast rolling.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I started with a crossmark 2.25 rear and Ardent 2.25 front. I shredded two crossmarks in Phoenix in 3 weeks. I still think it would be great for my local trails. I went to a Ardent EXO on the rear and loved it for all 300 miles it lasted. The ardent on front was not the best but i tolerated it since it was set up tubeless and i never flated it.
    Just mounted up trail king 2.2 with protection front and rear and will get them on dirt this weekend. I think i'm going to like them but my only complaint is weight. they add nearly a full pound to my light bike bringing it up to 26 lbs on the nose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Big Betty's are 900g tires. Not ideal IMHO for a guy who wants a lightweight race type bike who also has a Chili.

For a Chili, Betty's are a good recommendation. For a Endo, not so much.
    Betty is 870g. Perfect front. If an extra 100g on the front is an issue, then a pair of High rollers or some light Schwalbe tyres with Trailstar compound. I personally dont like scrimping when it comes to weight of a front tyre. The rear is a different story.
    Last edited by cfrench; 05-08-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    http://tweedlove.com/

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    I started with a crossmark 2.25 rear and Ardent 2.25 front. I shredded two crossmarks in Phoenix in 3 weeks. I still think it would be great for my local trails. I went to a Ardent EXO on the rear and loved it for all 300 miles it lasted. The ardent on front was not the best but i tolerated it since it was set up tubeless and i never flated it.
    Just mounted up trail king 2.2 with protection front and rear and will get them on dirt this weekend. I think i'm going to like them but my only complaint is weight. they add nearly a full pound to my light bike bringing it up to 26 lbs on the nose.
    I've done the Ardent 2.25 EXOs on my Yeti for a season. They were decent tires but the side knobs wore out pretty quickly making them kinda suck. Had problems keeping them tubeless as well. I did find the size, volume, and weight to be spot on.

How does the volume of the Trail kings compare to the Ardents?

I'm tempted to screw the weight thing and put some HighRoller 2 2.3's on their. I'm loving the 2.4's on the Chilly.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have a brand new Betty Trailstar sitting on my workbench waiting for install on the Chili. It's 932g out of the box.

And I've had probably 4 or 5 over the years in the old triple compound, and all them were close to pushing 900g if not more like this new one. The weight isn't a big deal, it's a great tire, just more than I'd want to run on an Endo personally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have my endorphin set up with a Hans Dampf trailstar up front (750g) and a 2.3 Spec. Purgatory control (670g) rear. Both tubeless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Betty is 870g. Perfect front. If an extra 100g on the front is an issue, then a pair of High rollers or some light Schwalbe tyres with Trailstar compound. I personally dont like scrimping when it comes to weight of a front tyre. The rear is a different story.
    I just put a BB Trailstar on my Chili. It is a big, aggressive tire. There is no way I would consider it for my Endo. If it were my one bike, maybe. The Endo is such a fun, snappy trail ripper I wouldn't want to weigh it down with such a big tire.

mtbr member
    Those of you running the Speshy tires, is the only place to get them off Speshy's website or the local shop?

Probably going to run the same combo G-air and Tisser are running, the Butcher Control and Captain Control. Do those mount up tubeless on Flow's ok? Any issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Those of you running the Speshy tires, is the only place to get them off Speshy's website or the local shop?

Probably going to run the same combo G-air and Tisser are running, the Butcher Control and Captain Control. Do those mount up tubeless on Flow's ok? Any issues?
    I purchased mine a the local Spec. dealer. I haven't seen them on line anywhere but the Spec. store.

Zero issues mounting them tubeless. I ran them on my Flow wheelset for a while. Now running them on my Eastons. Probably the easiest tires I have mounted tubeless.

How's the build going?

mtbr member
    Great, thanks Tim. I'd probably just order them, shipping can't me much and will probably be less than the almost 10% sales tax here in WA. Plus there's not a local shop I really like.

Build is coming. There's a large raw with my name on it, literally. Emails and what not going out about the rest of the parts. Not in a huge rush as I want to throw a Pike on there, and I think those are still a few weeks out?

I can't find a deal on a Revelation, and if I'm going to drop that kind of coin on a fork, I'm just going to get a Pike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Plus there's not a local shop I really like.

hahahahah, thought i was the only one who couldn't stand their local shops... i went to UBI to be a mechanic cause I was tired of local shops messing up my bikes worse than i could. Currently, I consider my local shop 440 miles away at Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane. one of the few shops left that's still in for the love of riding.
    good luck with your build, can't wait to see a shot of it with that pike! cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast