Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    231

    Tires for chilli

    Since we all use the chilli for aggressive AM i'm curious as to what tires people are running, on what surface they're being run and a quick review.

    Tire: Hans Dampf 2.35, 30psi, ran tubeless.
    Rider weight: 195 pounds
    Conditions: loose on hard pack. Mostly dry. Loose technical climbs. Rocky downhills.
    Review:

    The good: There's alot of good things about this tire. It's light which allows for fast acceleration and playfulness. Rolls fast over loose on hardback. Seals very well when run tubeless.

    The not so good: I don't think the traction is the best. When going downhill over rocky loose hardback you have to really be aware of traction. This means braking little earlier, the bike sliding more, a lot more work on picking lines. On the climbs I often lost traction when the going got steep and loose. In all fairness I didn't reduce the pressure which may have helped.

    Tire: Maxis minion, 2.5, super tacky, 40psi(set up tubeless that day and I knew they were going to drag so kept the pressure high so could keep up with friends), ran tubeless.

    Review: I wanted to go other extreme of increasing grip because I love the downhill so much. What I didn't expect was just how different the bike handled.

    The good: As expected superb grip. When going downhill I don't have to think I just pick the straightest line. Chilli becomes a demon going down tracking really well, stable and very fast. Surprisingly I also prefer it on the technical uphill because of the grip. I was able to climb up areas I couldn't with the hans dampf because the rear was glued.

    The not so good: Drag and weight. Tires drag so much on flat and non-technical uphill that it becomes a real chore. Takes the fun out of the bike. Slow acceleration. I didn't realise also how much more heavier these tires are. Feels like another bike, it's not playful anymore.

    So i'm interested in what other people run as i'm looking for that sweet middle ground.

  2. #2
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    109
    Conti Baron 2.3, best all round tire that I have tried.
    Roots, rocks, wet, dry, rolling, other tires might have an edge in one area or another but none seem to be as good all around. The wear is fantastic as well. Side knobs don't tear off and can handle Whistler bike park days as well if you forget to bring your DH tires.

    I am 190-195 rtr. Run 28psi in front & 30psi in back.

    Don't run tubeless.

    I have run trail king 2.2 & 2.4 but they did not hold on to a corner like the barons do.

    Have been using these tires since April, they look like the are only a couple of weeks old.
    Black Chilli compound is a must.
    Last edited by material guy; 10-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.

  3. #3
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    872
    My input is probably useless because I have very limited time on "Tire Set 2" and I changed many things at the same time (i.e. tires, adjustable seat post, stem length, and shock).

    Rider weight: 205 pounds

    Tire Set 1
    Front: Hans Dampf (Snake Skin & Trailstar compound) 2.35, 25-28 psi, ran tubeless.
    Rear: Hans Dampf (Snake Skin & Trailstar compound) 2.35, 28-31 psi, ran tubeless.

    Tire Set 2
    Front: Big Betty (Trailstar compound) 2.4, 28 psi, ran tubeless
    Rear: Minion-DHF (SuperTacky compound) 2.5, 31 psi, ran tubeless

    Tire Set 1 (In comparison to Tire Set 2)
    The HDs exhibited the properties you described.

    Tire Set 2 (In comparison to Tire Set 1)
    -- Slower acceleration but I haven’t noticed any drag when up to speed.

    -- Less tire slip when climbing on loose, firm, or rock.

    -- Harder to bring the front end up but not harder to clear obstacles.


    Note: I’m not sure what you mean by your statement, “it's not playful anymore”. I was loving my “new” Chili more than my “old” Chili; but this could be due to the other changes I made as much as the tires.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    148
    interesting ... in your no. 2 set-up i would probably try the minion dhf up front (especially being a super tacky) and the BB in the rear. i'm positive the dhf will provide more cornering traction while the BB is a reasonable roller.

    i'm running a muddy mary (old gooey gluey) up front and the bb in the rear. before i also had a MM on the back - lot's of grip/traction but a pain to climb due to substantial drag. it's not on a chilcotin though so might not be comparable!

    agree with material guy ... conti baron could be very interesting. i run the rainking (i think that's the same tire but they changed the name as rainking was misleading) on my dh bike and really like them for european style (alpine) parks as they actually are a good compromise in all sorts of conditions.

  5. #5
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuzi View Post
    interesting ... in your no. 2 set-up i would probably try the minion dhf up front (especially being a super tacky) and the BB in the rear. i'm positive the dhf will provide more cornering traction while the BB is a reasonable roller.

    i'm running a muddy mary (old gooey gluey) up front and the bb in the rear. before i also had a MM on the back - lot's of grip/traction but a pain to climb due to substantial drag. it's not on a chilcotin though so might not be comparable!
    I didn't originate the idea of the DHF on the rear. I got the idea from Silent Bob (link) who said in a PM that he did it "based on other rider recommendations locally and on MTBR". I also copied Silent Bob and went with the BB over the MM based on this review: Schwalbe Big Betty and Muddy Mary MTB Tire Review

    If I have problems with the front sliding out I will try them reversed. (I do dread ever removing the DHF because it's a beast to get on and off my ZTR Flows. )
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,449
    + 2 for Barons, but also like 2.4 TK's for smooth rolling and lots of grip. BC compound obligatory. Pressures 28 r, 25 f.

    Just got some 650b HD TSC to try.
    Last edited by loamranger; 10-28-2012 at 05:21 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Note: I’m not sure what you mean by your statement, “it's not playful anymore”. I was loving my “new” Chili more than my “old” Chili; but this could be due to the other changes I made as much as the tires.
    To try and clarify what I mean by that is with the hans dampf because they are lighter it allowed me to move around quicker, pick up speed faster, have a livelier ride. With the 2.5 MM super tacky it moves slowly because of the weight and drag - the ride is less lively. When going down it acts like a tractor and just mows everything down in a straight line(which I actually like).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    56
    I am currently on the maxxis high roller 2 exos, 3c front and 60a rear. This is generaly a superb combo except if you are on wet ladder bridges.

    I found the maxxis st dhf too bouncy. The 3c front is heavy but superb for traction and lasts a long time. I have not tried the minion 2 dhr but was told it was an exceptional tire. So if you need heavy duty, minor dhf 3c front and minion 2 60a rear.

    If you want super fast down and good up, and a bit lighter the hr2 3c/60a exo f/b is an excellent tire combo.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    So far I have ran the following on the Chil:

    Front: Schwable Hans Dampf. I love this tire. For the trails I ride the traction is superb, and very predictable. I have been waiting for them to make this tire in a durable DH casing for my DH bike. I much prefer this tire to the Minion DHF as a front tire.

    Rear. Maxxis Minion DHF. This is a great rear tire, but is sluggish. I didn't realize how slow the tire was until I swapped it for a Schwable Fat Albert. The Fat Albert makes the bike faster, but did not give up much in traction. There are a couple spots where I have to be sure to weight the back a little more, but not enough that it ruins a climb. The traction on the Fat Albert is also very predictable. I can get it to break loose just long enough and then it is back into traction. Great tire.

    When I wear out the Fat Albert I am going to try this:
    https://www.bti-usa.com/public/item/SW5244

    Plan is to put it on the front of my DH bike, but I would like to try a HD on the rear of the Chili.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  10. #10
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    To try and clarify what I mean by that is with the hans dampf because they are lighter it allowed me to move around quicker, pick up speed faster, have a livelier ride. With the 2.5 MM super tacky it moves slowly because of the weight and drag - the ride is less lively. When going down it acts like a tractor and just mows everything down in a straight line(which I actually like).
    It's like a video game where you can add more of one feature at the expense of another.

    -- The "straight line" characteristic should be better with higher-volume, larger-diameter tires.

    -- The "playfullness" characteristic should be better with lighter tires.

    -- Traction is a function of rubber compound, tread pattern, and terrain.*

    Each of these things affects the other. Schwalbe has a decent chart about which tire offers which tradeoffs: Tubeless | Schwalbe North America. After looking at their chart I want to try their Nobby Nic with Trailstar & SnakeSkin. Anyone tried it?

    All the tubeless, high-volume Conti tires I looked at are over 1000 grams.

    The Maxxis tires varied. I just noticed that Minion DHF tires in the Mountain category are much lighter than the Minion DHF tires in the Downhill category. And, I put the heaviest Minion on my Chili--1320 g--when the "3C MAXX TERRA" mountain version--860 g--would have worked fine. Holy unnecessary weight-gain, Batman!!! That's an extra pound (460 g) of unneeded weight.

    I am an idiot!

    * Interestingly, college-level physics says that the size of the contact patch doesn't affect traction (assuming a regular surface). I'm quite sure that this doesn't hold with cars because high speeds and high forces affect the properties of rubber, but I wonder if it's true for bikes.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,449
    calhoum.650b HD SG is in stock in Germany. Not sure about 26? Try r2 bike or bike discount.

    here we go r2-bike.com/Schwalbe-Hans-Dampf-VSC-Super-Gravity-26x235 - Translator

    Just got some 650b TSC versions to try on the front of the Chili if they fit under the arch, it's going to be tight. I'm also thinking of getting some SG's to use on the front, in which case I will transfer TSC's to the back when I eventually get a suitable 650b frame. If you are getting some 26 versions to try then let us know what you think.
    Last edited by loamranger; 10-28-2012 at 01:53 PM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sleevem1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    245
    Guys if you are looking to get some decent priced schwalbes check out bike-discount.de
    I just bought four for my 29er. Two NN and two DH's. Only took six days to my door.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    calhoum.650b HD SG is in stock in Germany. Not sure about 26? Try r2 bike or bike discount.

    here we go r2-bike.com/Schwalbe-Hans-Dampf-VSC-Super-Gravity-26x235 - Translator

    Just got some 650b TSC versions to try on the front of the Chili if they fit under the arch, it's going to be tight. I'm also thinking of getting some SG's to use on the front, in which case I will transfer TSC's to the back when I eventually get a suitable 650b frame. If you are getting some 26 versions to try then let us know what you think.
    I can wait for BTI to get them, plus your link says delivery in December

    What tire is the TSC and which arch are you trying to sneak it under?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I can wait for BTI to get them, plus your link says delivery in December

    What tire is the TSC and which arch are you trying to sneak it under?
    Trail Star Compound

    TSC Super Gravity is in stock in 26, here: r2-bike.com/Schwalbe-Hans-Dampf-TSC-Super-Gravity-26x235 - Translator

    Not sure what Vert Star Compound is as stated in the first linky? Probably softer? The weight is the same for both versions.

    I bought the 650b AM version 2.35 in TSC, weighs around 790 g. According to some reports the tyre measures 712mm dia when mounted compared to around 680mm dia for the 26 version. Currently I'm using the Bos Idylle SC's and by measurement it is very close. The wheels are just being built (DT 350/Flow EX) at the moment. My other fork (Bos Deville) may have a bit more clearance I think?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,203
    Do not run a Vert Star on the back. Putting it on will last longer that the tread will.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    21
    Geax Sturdy UST on Mavic 823. I run 35 lbs in the rear and 23 in front. Geax works great in dry conditions. Because it is so tall, it does flex on corners but the stiff rims help. I do not understand why UST is not popular. Mount the tire, put in air and ride. I add air less often than any tubed wheel. My 823s are on its 5th frame. I have replaced one valve because i over-torqed it. Why do you want to put fluid in your tire?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    21
    Oh, UST are a total pain in the ars to get on and off. That might be reason enough, especially when it's cold.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoFRdr View Post
    Geax Sturdy UST on Mavic 823. I run 35 lbs in the rear and 23 in front. Geax works great in dry conditions. Because it is so tall, it does flex on corners but the stiff rims help. I do not understand why UST is not popular. Mount the tire, put in air and ride. I add air less often than any tubed wheel. My 823s are on its 5th frame. I have replaced one valve because i over-torqed it. Why do you want to put fluid in your tire?
    A lot of the tires listed so far actually are UST, or some deviation. As I understand it UST is a patented product so not all tire manufacturers use that naming convention. I know Schwable uses TL-Ready (Tubeless Ready), Panaracer has TC (Tubeless Compatible), WTB has TCS (Tubeless Compatible System) and Specialized has 2Bliss.

    As for the fluid in the tire, I have had many potential flats saved by Stan's.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,685
    True UST tires do not require sealant when mounted to UST rims (although i would advise using it) but TL TC TCS tires etc are supposed to be used with sealant whether mounted to a UST rim or a rim such as a Stan's Flow.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    485
    2.3 Butcher SX - Front
    2.3 Ground Control Grid - Rear

    New setup. Just started running tubeless. I cannot believe I hadn't run tubeless earlier, it is the most noticeable increase in traction I have experienced in a long time. Couldn't tell you PSI but they are pretty inflated with just a little give when squeezing the sidewalls. I am loving this combo so far.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    713
    Tires:
    Front: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 60a EXO.

    Tire is very predictable and rolls well as a front tire run around 28 psi with tube. When cornering it will drift but very rarely lets go unless you do something really stupid. Works well in all conditions except for mud.

    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C:

    Heavier / slower than the Ardent and likes lower pressures to work well. Usually run around 25 psi with tube. I notice a difference in front end damping with this tire on fast trail with small bumps due to pressure and thick sidewalls. DHF is much better in mud than the Ardent and is good in all other conditions.

    I think the DHF is less predictable than the Ardent on the front. The Ardent will give you warning and slide where the DHF will just dump you when traction runs out. I cannot decide which tire I like best on the front but will run the DHF this winter.

    Rear: Maxxis High Roller 2 EXO 2.4 60a:

    This is an excellent back tire for the Chilcotin. Lots of volume, climbing and braking traction. They do tend to wear quickly in the center but still work with worn tread. They are predictable in corners and at times almost have too much traction vs. the front tire. Rolling resistance is medium, faster than a Kenda Neverroll. I might consider one of these as a front tire and would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this.

    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and 2.25 EXO: These would be for dry to moist condition rides only if you want a faster rolling tire. I did not like the 2.4 on the back at all. Side knobs are too flimsy and it can be felt when cornering. The 2.25 is a good fast tire for the back but is lacking climbing/braking traction compared to the HR2. If you like to drift in dry conditions, this is your tire. The knobs are small and do not squirm around with 34 psi and a tube. Tire will drift earlier than the front Ardent 2.4 or DHF for sideways fun on the trail. I think the 2.25 would make a better tire on a more xc oriented bike.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  22. #22
    MC MasterShake
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,898
    I'm stuck on the 2.4 Ardent 1ply for front and back for my Chilly. Not that it's the best tire for everything, it just seems to be very predictable and does most things very well. I really like how they loose traction when you lean the bike over but then really hook up when you lean it more. They do wear kind of quickly and when they are worn they are worthless. I tried running them tubeless (Stan's Flows) and they blew off the rim way too often so I just run them with tubes. I tried a 2.25 Ardent EVO on the back and it's a little quicker but also more squirrely. I also found myself denting rim on the faster chunk and bigger hits with the smaller tire.

    I gave the Hans Damph's a try. I did love the traction on these things as we have a lot of technical rocky rooty power climbs, but that sticky rubber made for a much slower running tire. I ran them tubeless at first and they were great for like 2 months but then I kept getting flats and blowouts. When I switched over to tubes I flatted just as much so I put the tires on my XC rig to spare my race tires (tires are so damn' expensive these days). Now they are practically gone. Not happy with how long they lasted at all.

    I tried the Minion DHF 2.5 1 ply tires front and back and I did 3 rides on them before selling them. I was kind of shocked as everyone seems to love these things. When comparing them to the Ardents they felt incredibly sluggish. I know they are bigger and heavier but these things felt like DH tires. I was hoping I'd at least be blown away with the traction but that was not the case. Very meh in my bike.

    Kinda looking for something to try when I wear out my next set of Ardents but I'm not going to go crazy about it. If I see something that looks good I'll give it a shot.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,685
    Woodyak try some 2.4 trail kings with the black chili compound. They wear well and are great in the rocky rooty north east. They seal up well with Stan's goop on flow rims. The 2.2s I had on my blur but are hard to seal up and much smaller. Too small for a Chilcotin IMO.

  24. #24
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I'm stuck on the 2.4 Ardent 1ply for front and back for my Chilly. Not that it's the best tire for everything, it just seems to be very predictable and does most things very well. I really like how they loose traction when you lean the bike over but then really hook up when you lean it more. They do wear kind of quickly and when they are worn they are worthless. I tried running them tubeless (Stan's Flows) and they blew off the rim way too often so I just run them with tubes. I tried a 2.25 Ardent EVO on the back and it's a little quicker but also more squirrely. I also found myself denting rim on the faster chunk and bigger hits with the smaller tire.

    I gave the Hans Damph's a try. I did love the traction on these things as we have a lot of technical rocky rooty power climbs, but that sticky rubber made for a much slower running tire. I ran them tubeless at first and they were great for like 2 months but then I kept getting flats and blowouts. When I switched over to tubes I flatted just as much so I put the tires on my XC rig to spare my race tires (tires are so damn' expensive these days). Now they are practically gone. Not happy with how long they lasted at all.

    I tried the Minion DHF 2.5 1 ply tires front and back and I did 3 rides on them before selling them. I was kind of shocked as everyone seems to love these things. When comparing them to the Ardents they felt incredibly sluggish. I know they are bigger and heavier but these things felt like DH tires. I was hoping I'd at least be blown away with the traction but that was not the case. Very meh in my bike.

    Kinda looking for something to try when I wear out my next set of Ardents but I'm not going to go crazy about it. If I see something that looks good I'll give it a shot.
    I might sound like a broken record but try the Conti Black Chilli Baron 2.3's when your tires wear out.
    Now that we are in monsoon season here in Vancouver, I can say that the tires work very well on wet wood, rock etc.
    Just stay away from the green slimy wood.
    Will be ordering a new helmet cause of that stuff.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    Just stay away from the green slimy wood.
    Will be ordering a new helmet cause of that stuff.
    I don't think there is a rubber compound or tread pattern that will stick to anything covered in green slimy organic material. Creek crossings with the green rock have claimed many victims here in the PNW. Riding or walking!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •