Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: Thomson Dropper

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78

    Thomson Dropper

    Any of you on one of these? Thinking the Chilcotin needs an "upgrade".

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kompressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    Any of you on one of these? Thinking the Chilcotin needs an "upgrade".
    Just put one on my Endo"classic". Rock solid, smooth and no play in any of the axis(so far)!
    kompressor

  3. #3
    Five5hot
    Reputation: RyeBokeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    Any of you on one of these? Thinking the Chilcotin needs an "upgrade".
    check out this thread: people are giving a solid thumbs up

    http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ml#post9638867

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,826
    Cant wait til they come out with a version that the cable doesnt move.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    Well, having received very little response here, I decided to get one and find out for myself. This will not involve a ride report, that will come later.

    I ordered one from Universal cycles and it arrived today. It was expected Friday but considering my ride on Saturday (wet, slippery and spent a lot of time on my ass) the delay appears to have been a mixed blessing.

    Why Thomson? The reason is my current elite post is outstanding, And because I think Thomson has the most to lose by making a mistake in this area. After all, the biggest names in this space are either suspension companies or aftermarket parts (a few exceptions of course) but Thomson for most people is a seatpost maker.....and stems. Therefore a mistake here will be a big problem for the brand. As a result, I expect the best.

    Reviews on droppers seem to miss a key point: your body weight. I'm around 223lbs no gear on a large chilcotin, and ride (when I'm not getting my ass handed to me on wet rocks and roots) on the North Shore of Vancouver. My primary concerns with the post are whether it will drop enough (my elite is 410 and about an inch or so above the max line) and whether the post can take side hits delivered to the saddle when I'm having a banner day like Saturday. I tested the height using my elite and it was fine, as for durability, riding will tell.

    As a result of a few reviews I dropped by mec and grabbed a shimano cable set. Why you ask? Well unfortunately the cable and housing are not long enough for the Chili in Large. At a full retail of $450 ( if you have the discount code at universal you run around 389 plus shipping) I think this is a disappointing oversight. In other words you will be spending whatever for extra housing and a shift cable.

    Lever is small and positioning fairly easy. My concern here is getting this thing stuffed in my hand in a crash. I think a more rounded or bulbous end could be beneficial here. A skull might be cool.

    Weight: elite plus chromag collar 195 plus 50gms. Dropper 592 all in and a Thomson collar is around 27 gms. 245 vs 619 so roughly 370ish gms of extra weight for those that care.

    Second negative: you might not be able to use your bike repair stand. You can't clamp on the inners, and you might not have easy access to the lowers. Ironically you will be unclamping your post and raising the thing to fit in your stand clamp.

    Installation is relatively easy provided you have the right cable and housing size (a special thanks to those mentioning it earlier....Thomson are you reading? This needs attention).

    Cable position: not a big deal. I don't think the mechanism location is a problem and cable extension when lowered is not intrusive, unless your balls hang really low.

    I will work on a ride report in the near future.

    tw

  6. #6
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    Well, having received very little response here, I decided to get one and find out for myself. This will not involve a ride report, that will come later.

    I ordered one from Universal cycles and it arrived today. It was expected Friday but considering my ride on Saturday (wet, slippery and spent a lot of time on my ass) the delay appears to have been a mixed blessing.

    Why Thomson? The reason is my current elite post is outstanding, And because I think Thomson has the most to lose by making a mistake in this area. After all, the biggest names in this space are either suspension companies or aftermarket parts (a few exceptions of course) but Thomson for most people is a seatpost maker.....and stems. Therefore a mistake here will be a big problem for the brand. As a result, I expect the best.

    Reviews on droppers seem to miss a key point: your body weight. I'm around 223lbs no gear on a large chilcotin, and ride (when I'm not getting my ass handed to me on wet rocks and roots) on the North Shore of Vancouver. My primary concerns with the post are whether it will drop enough (my elite is 410 and about an inch or so above the max line) and whether the post can take side hits delivered to the saddle when I'm having a banner day like Saturday. I tested the height using my elite and it was fine, as for durability, riding will tell.

    As a result of a few reviews I dropped by mec and grabbed a shimano cable set. Why you ask? Well unfortunately the cable and housing are not long enough for the Chili in Large. At a full retail of $450 ( if you have the discount code at universal you run around 389 plus shipping) I think this is a disappointing oversight. In other words you will be spending whatever for extra housing and a shift cable.

    Lever is small and positioning fairly easy. My concern here is getting this thing stuffed in my hand in a crash. I think a more rounded or bulbous end could be beneficial here. A skull might be cool.

    Weight: elite plus chromag collar 195 plus 50gms. Dropper 592 all in and a Thomson collar is around 27 gms. 245 vs 619 so roughly 370ish gms of extra weight for those that care.

    Second negative: you might not be able to use your bike repair stand. You can't clamp on the inners, and you might not have easy access to the lowers. Ironically you will be unclamping your post and raising the thing to fit in your stand clamp.


    Installation is relatively easy provided you have the right cable and housing size (a special thanks to those mentioning it earlier....Thomson are you reading? This needs attention).

    Cable position: not a big deal. I don't think the mechanism location is a problem and cable extension when lowered is not intrusive, unless your balls hang really low.

    I will work on a ride report in the near future.

    tw

    Thanks TW, would you mind posting a few photos of the post raised and slammed? I would like to see how the cable plays with the 4x4 linkage.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  7. #7
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Cant wait til they come out with a version that the cable doesnt move.
    Does anyone know of the Bluetooth remote is a reality? I'd be all over that.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    I will work on some pics, but will provide a description here. I have the remote on the left side but to the right of the brake and shifter clamps. The cable is routed to the right around the headtube and under on the left side tabs under the top tube. When the post is up the cable is tight and clean. Lowered (and mine might have a tiny bit extra) it seats down towards the links, but only just inside. No interference.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Does anyone know of the Bluetooth remote is a reality? I'd be all over that.
    Ya, no cable/hydraulic line at all would be even better. It exists for shifting so why not.....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    Here are a few pictures. Format is not great but will give you an idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  

    Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  

    Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  

    Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  

    Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,021
    Just installed one of these today...very solid.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    I have several rides on the post and it has been flawless. I moved the lever from the location in the pictures to the left of the controls for easier reach. No problems with hitting it but I think the end of the lever could have a slight curl on it to prevent any type of puncture (which would be unusual but those happen sometimes).

    I used the post on the road, shore and on the island right now on xc roots rocks etc. it is just like the regular Thomson in terms of its solid build. No flex. No noise. No hassle. This is the case on all terrain. We will see how it holds up over a longer period.

    I would have no reservations about recommending this post based on my experience so far.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    91
    i ended up pulling the trigger on one as well. i would say that the response is lightning quick and immediate when hitting the lever, but time will tell on whether or not the action remains as flawless after a full season of riding.

    i never understood the big brouhaha was over dropper posts until i rode a ks for a few weeks and was amazed at how many frequently it came handy over a full trail ride. i was thinking about spending less on something else, but my experience has led to a huge amount of trust in the thomson brand and the 2-year warranty really made me feel more at ease with the purchase.

    the cable is short, and not uncomfortably so, but a major miss. it was a bit of a hassle having to dig around for a spare cable/housing, and this is something i hope they fix in their next production run. that's about my only complaint, though. i love how the seat is locked in position, so there's no worry of it ghosting up or down.

  14. #14
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    How are these posts holding up? Any side to side or fore/aft slop? Still debating if I should pick up a dropper and if I do the Thomson is leading the charge.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,134
    what are the benefits of these posts over the ks lev?

  16. #16
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    what are the benefits of these posts over the ks lev?
    I tried a LEV, and I think the seatpost clamp is poorly designed. Since it is not permanently fixed to the post (it is a loose fit, allowing you to rotate the post), it is a weak and wear point. I had to disassemble mine after every other ride to get the creaking to stop. It would be OK for a ride. Mine also developed fore/aft slop, which I guess is acceptable by most people who like droppers. I can't handle it, the noise and saddle movement drove me nuts. Early reports on the Thomson are that it is more solid, it is engineered better, and should be more reliable.

    I like the Thomson, not the cable routing, also considering a Reverb as they can be had cheap.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    I'd really love to get a Thomson for the same reasons, I just don't about that routing.

    One of my Lev's is pretty solid, the other creaks like a screen door in a hurricane. Might be the ti rails on my saddle, but I don't think so.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I'd really love to get a Thomson for the same reasons, I just don't about that routing.

    One of my Lev's is pretty solid, the other creaks like a screen door in a hurricane. Might be the ti rails on my saddle, but I don't think so.
    I have a ti railed saddle on my lev and no creaks.

    It has started to develop a bit of "rotational" play at the head.

    I agree the clamping mechanism is a step backwards on the LEV VS what they had on the i950 (my i950 never loosened, I need to re-torque the LEV every 2 rides)

    The second Thomson creates a post with no moving cable I am all over it. Until then the LEV is the best bet out there as far as I am concerned.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    How are these posts holding up? Any side to side or fore/aft slop? Still debating if I should pick up a dropper and if I do the Thomson is leading the charge.
    The post is holding up great. Only one tightening of the seat clamp after it was installed. No noise period.


    I have ridden a variety of conditions xc, shore and one trip to the bike park. No issues.

    I see you want pictures of installation, don't know what happened to the ones I posted....

    For the Thompson, if you want to use your left hand run it to the right of the head tube and on the left (facing forward) under the top tube. I have never noticed the cable ever.

    I leave a little extra room to compensate for possible bar spin when I'm having a bad day nd swan diving over the bars.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    93
    There is a stealth Thomson Dropper coming. Should arrive this autumn

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    But unfortunately I don't' think the stealth version will work with our frames., at least not without some creative thinking or a drill bit.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  22. #22
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Well, after much debate I have ordered up a Thomson. I have yet to find a poor review, I sent a few emails to Thomson and had responses in minutes.

    At this time, all droppers have their issues, and the only issue I can find with the Thomson is the cable routing. I think I may have a great solution for this, but we will have to see if it works out. If not, having it hang out back doesn't look to be a big deal.

    I have an October Moab trip planned, and this was the motivating factor for getting the post. Porc will be much better with a dropper, as will Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson.

    FYI, ending today, Pricepoint has a great deal on the post, $375 shipped. I believe I received the last 31.6, but you can still get the same price. Also, there are a few guys selling for $360 on Ebay. I'll posy up some photos when I get it setup and cable routing for those interested.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    Very interesting in hearing your thoughts Brandon. I know from your talks you are at least as anal as I am about cable routing, so if you find something you think works then maybe I will give it a shot.

    $375 is a great deal BTW.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  24. #24
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Very interesting in hearing your thoughts Brandon. I know from your talks you are at least as anal as I am about cable routing, so if you find something you think works then maybe I will give it a shot.

    $375 is a great deal BTW.
    Will do. Strangely, or maybe not, the last 2 nights I zip tied a cable housing to my regular post and worked out cable routing issues I ordered up a couple of the RockShox cable guides which I think will do the trick. Basically what I came up with last night is to use the normal cable guides on the top tube, and as the seat drops the cable will push forward and out the front of the bike, keeping the cable much like the stationary cable of the LEV. From an appearance stand point it is very clean with no weird loops, and there will be no rub on the frame. This of course is dependent on a complaint cable or well placed cable guides.

    Look at this guy's routing and you will see where I am headed

    <a href="http://imgur.com/cmieBm6"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/cmieBm6.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com" /></a>

    <a href="http://imgur.com/j6cFIM4"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/j6cFIM4.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com" /></a>

    The other option is much like Vancouver setup. Let there be a loop that settles behind the seat tube and in front of the horseshoe. This will cause some rub on the horseshoe which can easily be remedied by some protective tape, but will keep the cable out of the way, and no where near the tire. I can see it being an issue if you need to get really low and behind the saddle.

    Another option is to run the cable on the downtube with the rear derailleur cable. Tie the cable to the second tie point and run the cable down the seattube. This is very clean as well, though you see more of the cable when the post is fully extended. It does keep the cable well way from the rockers and shock. When the post is dropped, the loop drops down and basically follows the derailleur cable. When slammed, you don't see the cable. When extended it has a nice loop which is not terribly out of place

    For me, I rarely ever see fully slamming the seat, I only drop my normal post 2.5". I really want to get the first option working as it will provide similar routing to the LEV, and when dropped the excess will be pushed out front with the rest of the cables where it will go unnoticed and is out of the way.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    I completely see what you are saying now. That could really work well!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I completely see what you are saying now. That could really work well!
    +1

    look forward to your update TiSSer, was only a few days away from a LEV, will hang off now to see how you get on..

  27. #27
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    +1

    look forward to your update TiSSer, was only a few days away from a LEV, will hang off now to see how you get on..
    Looks like the post should ship today, I should have it Monday or Tuesday next week. I just went to the hardware store and picked up some small aluminum spacers that are drilled out just slightly larger than the cable. These will be zip tied to the normal cable guides allowing the cable to freely slide back and forth. I have 2 RS cable guides on order, one will be very close to the post, much like the image which should push the cable forward when dropped. There is one issues I see, and that is at the front of the bike. The cable will exit to the right of the cable guide as to keep the cabling consistent. This won't be an issue when dropping the post, but when raising it. When the cable has to be pulled back through the guides, the first guide may be an issue, and may cause the cable to hang up because of the angle the cable enters the guide.

    A few solutions include

    1. Bypass the forward most guide
    2. taper the aluminum spacer to prevent and sharp edges for the cable to get caught on
    3. Use one of the RS cable guides at the front (has a much larger opening)
    4. Move the front derailleur cable to the left side guides and the post to the right guides, giving a more direct entry/exit from the guide. This of course would require running the cable from the left side of the post to the right.

    As you can tell, I have thought about this a little bit I will be doing more testing tonight when I get home from my ride!

    Pretty excited to make this work.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Looks like the post should ship today, I should have it Monday or Tuesday next week. I just went to the hardware store and picked up some small aluminum spacers that are drilled out just slightly larger than the cable. These will be zip tied to the normal cable guides allowing the cable to freely slide back and forth. I have 2 RS cable guides on order, one will be very close to the post, much like the image which should push the cable forward when dropped. There is one issues I see, and that is at the front of the bike. The cable will exit to the right of the cable guide as to keep the cabling consistent. This won't be an issue when dropping the post, but when raising it. When the cable has to be pulled back through the guides, the first guide may be an issue, and may cause the cable to hang up because of the angle the cable enters the guide.

    A few solutions include

    1. Bypass the forward most guide
    2. taper the aluminum spacer to prevent and sharp edges for the cable to get caught on
    3. Use one of the RS cable guides at the front (has a much larger opening)
    4. Move the front derailleur cable to the left side guides and the post to the right guides, giving a more direct entry/exit from the guide. This of course would require running the cable from the left side of the post to the right.

    As you can tell, I have thought about this a little bit I will be doing more testing tonight when I get home from my ride!

    Pretty excited to make this work.
    ...hope you do, i was horrified by the creaks/play you described (no-one enjoys those type of distractions..) ..cheers for the routing heads up, its just a housekeeping job then so no more worries in this camp..even if 'neat and tidy' doesn't happen i'll buy this over some noisy/wobbling thing..

  29. #29
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Just received the Thomson. Not much to report other than it is typical Thomson quality on the outside, if the inside is built as well, we may have a winner. The hardware is all top notch, anodizing is perfect, and overall it feels very smooth when moving up and down. I believe I received the shorter cable and housing, so hopefully it will fit. Just looking at it in hand, I would say Thomson trumps the LEV in every respect other than cable management. More to report later after I install.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  30. #30
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    I installed the post tonight, the cable that came with it was a bit too short which added some challenges. I will email Thomson tomorrow to get a new cable and housing. The housing is very nice, and it is quite flexible.

    I played with the post for a while setting up the lever. I dropped the post maybe 40 times and here are a few thoughts

    1. There is ZERO play in any direction with this post. The LEV had side to side pay right out of the box, primarily due to the seatpost clamp.
    2. Action is very smooth. There is no delay much like the LEV had, and there is no notchiness to the travel, up or down
    3. Rebound speed is perfect. There is no clunking sound when fully slammed or when it returns.
    4. I find it is much easier to drop the post incrementally. The lever actuation is very smooth and allows me to drop the post a little at a time. With the LEV it seemed that I always dropped too far and had to return the post up a bit to find the spot I was looking for.
    5. The post seems more robust, it doesn't seem as though it will have the flex that the LEV had

    I did attempt to setup the cable to push through the front with little success. It worked occasionally, but I don't think it is a good solution. I was not happy with the cable hanging off the back between the seatpost and horseshoe as it will rub the horseshoe during compression.

    I did come up with a great solution though using the standard top tube mounts, and 1 RS cable guide. As you can see the cable loops down behind the rocker, staying out of the way of my legs and there really isn't much it can rub. The lever is very nice, though I think the LEV lever had slightly better ergos. The cable tucks in nicely behind the brake lever for a nice clean handlebar. Once I get the new cable and housing, I will try a few other options, but I think this is a very good solution.



    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9497478243/" title="IMG_0481 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/9497478243_00ab46cf01_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0481"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9500277622/" title="IMG_0480 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/9500277622_7d558b905f_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0480"></a>
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 08-13-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    93
    I love mine as well

    Can you check for minimal vertical play when the post is fully extended?

    Thanks

  32. #32
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    I love mine as well

    Can you check for minimal vertical play when the post is fully extended?

    Thanks
    I have no play in the post at this time. I'll report back after a few weeks.

    I should also note that I am going to pick up some regular derailleur housing tonight and try some additional routing ideas. I noticed this morning that when fully slammed the cable gets pushed around by the rocker a bit causing a bunch of movement. It doesn't affect the performance, but rather could cause some rubbing. I'm hoping that some stiffer and longer cabling will allow me to get my initial setup working. I'll figure this cabling thing out
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  33. #33
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    I sent a contact request for the longer cable and housing through the Thomson website and had a response in less than 2 minutes. Now that's support.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    93


    I would also check the screw that secures the cable to the "lever" on your post. Thomson changed the design since the old screw didnt secure the cable properly...

  35. #35
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post


    I would also check the screw that secures the cable to the "lever" on your post. Thomson changed the design since the old screw didnt secure the cable properly...
    I do have the new screw design. Can't wait for today's ride.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    93
    You will love it

    I wish Thomson would offer a dropper with 150mm travel though...

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dude!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,903
    Thanks for the update on this dropper. I hope they can get ride of the cable movement. I am more worried about gunking up the open bits. I had issues with the original KS in the winter because mud and sand would get caught up around the lever mechanism under the seat. Besides that it worked great.

    Fortunately on the Delirium there is a hole at the bottom of the seattube so I have been running the stealth reverb. I haven't had much issue - occasional bleed and check air pressure.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post

    Fortunately on the Delirium there is a hole at the bottom of the seattube so I have been running the stealth reverb.
    That is just flat out awesome, and very very lucky. I'm just sayin'.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  39. #39
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Thanks for the update on this dropper. I hope they can get ride of the cable movement. I am more worried about gunking up the open bits. I had issues with the original KS in the winter because mud and sand would get caught up around the lever mechanism under the seat. Besides that it worked great.

    Fortunately on the Delirium there is a hole at the bottom of the seattube so I have been running the stealth reverb. I haven't had much issue - occasional bleed and check air pressure.
    I can understand the concern for those that are in wetter climates, it could be a serious PITA. Here, I never have to change out cables or housing because it is so dry, only time will tell.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  40. #40
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    I love it when a plan comes together I have been able to successfully get rid of the cable loop on the Thomson. To do this, I picked up some small plastic spacers that are just a bit larger than the derailleur cable. These are used as guides to allow the cable to move freely. I also used 1 RS cable guide, and this one is critical. Without this, the cable will not push forward and will loop up behind the seat.

    I ran the dropper cable on the right side of the frame to allow the least amount of bend in the cable as it exits the front cable guide. Too much bend and the cable won't push forward.

    Here is the cable routing with the seat fully extended

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9507813192/" title="IMG_0490 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/9507813192_7014ba73ba_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0490"></a>

    And what the cable looks like at the front of the bike when fully extended

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9505017685/" title="IMG_0489 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5350/9505017685_eef6545812_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0489"></a>

    And fully dropped

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9505018395/" title="IMG_0485 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/9505018395_99cb40b5aa_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0485"></a>

    The excess cable is pushed forward, away from the linkage and frame

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9507813674/" title="IMG_0488 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5458/9507813674_a2150cb227_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0488"></a>

    Here are the guides I used

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9507813846/" title="IMG_0487 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3723/9507813846_fbeb14dc47_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0487"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9507813916/" title="IMG_0486 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/9507813916_b8cc5899fa_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0486"></a>

    Very clean setup. Still not as neat as the LEV, but damn close.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    Awesome!!! Did you end up using aftermarket cable housing, say Shimano SP41 or similar? Have you ridden it, in terms of using it quite a few times, and it always ejects out the front as you want? If so, I see one in my future.

    And where did you get the Rock Shox cable guides if you don't mind me asking.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  42. #42
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Awesome!!! Did you end up using aftermarket cable housing, say Shimano SP41 or similar? Have you ridden it, in terms of using it quite a few times, and it always ejects out the front as you want? If so, I see one in my future.

    And where did you get the Rock Shox cable guides if you don't mind me asking.
    I did use Shimano 4mm housing. I have ridden it and it worked 100% of the time. I also tested it with the bars turned in both directions with 100% success. I picked up the cable guides form Amazon, $10.00 for 2. Quite happy with the results, super clean, no crazy loops, and a smooth performing post.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dude!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    That is just flat out awesome, and very very lucky. I'm just sayin'.
    Part of the master plan - haha!

  44. #44
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    I made a few changes which are cosmetic only. It's much cleaner now. I moved the guide to the seat tube, just below the clamp.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9514644858/" title="IMG_0494 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9514644858_8101316d9a_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0494"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9511856395/" title="IMG_0492 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/9511856395_94dcfc69d0_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0492"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/9514645610/" title="IMG_0491 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/9514645610_e9e2249dfd_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_0491"></a>
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post

    Very clean setup. Still not as neat as the LEV, but damn close.
    Big thanks for the heads up, im putting my order in Monday. Im sure the longevity will be just fine, and if not, im sure there wont be any CS problems to worry about given your earlier post. Really looking forward to getting my own now.

  46. #46
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Big thanks for the heads up, im putting my order in Monday. Im sure the longevity will be just fine, and if not, im sure there wont be any CS problems to worry about given your earlier post. Really looking forward to getting my own now.
    I didn't take any photos, but the swapped the cable from the right side to the left. Everything works just fine and the cabling is a bit cleaner as it is in the same side as the cam mechanism. Super slick now. I only have a few rides on it, but it fantastic. This might just be a dropper that I keep. I can now say the cabling is exactly the same as the LEV. It's not a distraction on or off the bike.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I didn't take any photos, but the swapped the cable from the right side to the left. Everything works just fine and the cabling is a bit cleaner as it is in the same side as the cam mechanism. Super slick now.

    That's how I have both my Lev's routed, it is indeed very clean. Ordered my Thomson this morning.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  48. #48
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    That's how I have both my Lev's routed, it is indeed very clean. Ordered my Thomson this morning.
    I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you get it. Be sure to get your free Thomson stem with your purchase

    http://bikethomson.com/wp-content/up...son-coupon.pdf

    You're right, finding those double cable clips is a *****!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    419
    tiss'er, what exactly are you using for the spacers that the hose is routed through along the frame?

  50. #50
    Five5hot
    Reputation: RyeBokeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    236
    pinkbike just posted up a review

    Thomson Elite Dropper Seatpost - Review - Pinkbike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread
    By BikeBert in forum Components
    Replies: 703
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:05 PM
  2. Thomson discounted
    By Shytie in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 11:41 PM
  3. Went in to buy a Thomson came out with a Superfly
    By neuregel in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 03:32 AM
  4. Ga Kush & LH Thomson
    By cigarlover in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM
  5. Thomson?
    By fred-da-trog in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 05:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •