Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thomson Dropper

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Thomson Dropper

Any of you on one of these? Thinking the Chilcotin needs an "upgrade".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    Just put one on my Endo"classic". Rock solid, smooth and no play in any of the axis(so far)!
    kompressor

Five5hot
    check out this thread: people are giving a solid thumbs up

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

mtbr member
    Cant wait til they come out with a version that the cable doesnt move.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, having received very little response here, I decided to get one and find out for myself. This will not involve a ride report, that will come later.

I ordered one from Universal cycles and it arrived today. It was expected Friday but considering my ride on Saturday (wet, slippery and spent a lot of time on my ass) the delay appears to have been a mixed blessing.

Why Thomson? The reason is my current elite post is outstanding, And because I think Thomson has the most to lose by making a mistake in this area. After all, the biggest names in this space are either suspension companies or aftermarket parts (a few exceptions of course) but Thomson for most people is a seatpost maker.....and stems. Therefore a mistake here will be a big problem for the brand. As a result, I expect the best.

Reviews on droppers seem to miss a key point: your body weight. I'm around 223lbs no gear on a large chilcotin, and ride (when I'm not getting my ass handed to me on wet rocks and roots) on the North Shore of Vancouver. My primary concerns with the post are whether it will drop enough (my elite is 410 and about an inch or so above the max line) and whether the post can take side hits delivered to the saddle when I'm having a banner day like Saturday. I tested the height using my elite and it was fine, as for durability, riding will tell.

As a result of a few reviews I dropped by mec and grabbed a shimano cable set. Why you ask? Well unfortunately the cable and housing are not long enough for the Chili in Large. At a full retail of $450 ( if you have the discount code at universal you run around 389 plus shipping) I think this is a disappointing oversight. In other words you will be spending whatever for extra housing and a shift cable.

Lever is small and positioning fairly easy. My concern here is getting this thing stuffed in my hand in a crash. I think a more rounded or bulbous end could be beneficial here. A skull might be cool.

Weight: elite plus chromag collar 195 plus 50gms. Dropper 592 all in and a Thomson collar is around 27 gms. 245 vs 619 so roughly 370ish gms of extra weight for those that care.

Second negative: you might not be able to use your bike repair stand. You can't clamp on the inners, and you might not have easy access to the lowers. Ironically you will be unclamping your post and raising the thing to fit in your stand clamp.

Installation is relatively easy provided you have the right cable and housing size (a special thanks to those mentioning it earlier....Thomson are you reading? This needs attention).

Cable position: not a big deal. I don't think the mechanism location is a problem and cable extension when lowered is not intrusive, unless your balls hang really low.

I will work on a ride report in the near future.

tw

Knollician
    Well, having received very little response here, I decided to get one and find out for myself. This will not involve a ride report, that will come later.

I ordered one from Universal cycles and it arrived today. It was expected Friday but considering my ride on Saturday (wet, slippery and spent a lot of time on my ass) the delay appears to have been a mixed blessing.

Why Thomson? The reason is my current elite post is outstanding, And because I think Thomson has the most to lose by making a mistake in this area. After all, the biggest names in this space are either suspension companies or aftermarket parts (a few exceptions of course) but Thomson for most people is a seatpost maker.....and stems. Therefore a mistake here will be a big problem for the brand. As a result, I expect the best.

Reviews on droppers seem to miss a key point: your body weight. I'm around 223lbs no gear on a large chilcotin, and ride (when I'm not getting my ass handed to me on wet rocks and roots) on the North Shore of Vancouver. My primary concerns with the post are whether it will drop enough (my elite is 410 and about an inch or so above the max line) and whether the post can take side hits delivered to the saddle when I'm having a banner day like Saturday. I tested the height using my elite and it was fine, as for durability, riding will tell.

As a result of a few reviews I dropped by mec and grabbed a shimano cable set. Why you ask? Well unfortunately the cable and housing are not long enough for the Chili in Large. At a full retail of $450 ( if you have the discount code at universal you run around 389 plus shipping) I think this is a disappointing oversight. In other words you will be spending whatever for extra housing and a shift cable.

Lever is small and positioning fairly easy. My concern here is getting this thing stuffed in my hand in a crash. I think a more rounded or bulbous end could be beneficial here. A skull might be cool.

Weight: elite plus chromag collar 195 plus 50gms. Dropper 592 all in and a Thomson collar is around 27 gms. 245 vs 619 so roughly 370ish gms of extra weight for those that care.

Second negative: you might not be able to use your bike repair stand. You can't clamp on the inners, and you might not have easy access to the lowers. Ironically you will be unclamping your post and raising the thing to fit in your stand clamp.

Installation is relatively easy provided you have the right cable and housing size (a special thanks to those mentioning it earlier....Thomson are you reading? This needs attention).

Cable position: not a big deal. I don't think the mechanism location is a problem and cable extension when lowered is not intrusive, unless your balls hang really low.

I will work on a ride report in the near future.

tw

Thanks TW, would you mind posting a few photos of the post raised and slammed? I would like to see how the cable plays with the 4x4 linkage.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Cant wait til they come out with a version that the cable doesnt move.
    Does anyone know of the Bluetooth remote is a reality? I'd be all over that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I will work on some pics, but will provide a description here. I have the remote on the left side but to the right of the brake and shifter clamps. The cable is routed to the right around the headtube and under on the left side tabs under the top tube. When the post is up the cable is tight and clean. Lowered (and mine might have a tiny bit extra) it seats down towards the links, but only just inside. No interference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Does anyone know of the Bluetooth remote is a reality? I'd be all over that.
    Ya, no cable/hydraulic line at all would be even better. It exists for shifting so why not.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here are a few pictures. Format is not great but will give you an idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  

Thomson Dropper-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just installed one of these today...very solid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have several rides on the post and it has been flawless. I moved the lever from the location in the pictures to the left of the controls for easier reach. No problems with hitting it but I think the end of the lever could have a slight curl on it to prevent any type of puncture (which would be unusual but those happen sometimes).

I used the post on the road, shore and on the island right now on xc roots rocks etc. it is just like the regular Thomson in terms of its solid build. No flex. No noise. No hassle. This is the case on all terrain. We will see how it holds up over a longer period.

I would have no reservations about recommending this post based on my experience so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i ended up pulling the trigger on one as well. i would say that the response is lightning quick and immediate when hitting the lever, but time will tell on whether or not the action remains as flawless after a full season of riding.

i never understood the big brouhaha was over dropper posts until i rode a ks for a few weeks and was amazed at how many frequently it came handy over a full trail ride. i was thinking about spending less on something else, but my experience has led to a huge amount of trust in the thomson brand and the 2-year warranty really made me feel more at ease with the purchase.

the cable is short, and not uncomfortably so, but a major miss. it was a bit of a hassle having to dig around for a spare cable/housing, and this is something i hope they fix in their next production run. that's about my only complaint, though. i love how the seat is locked in position, so there's no worry of it ghosting up or down.

Knollician
    How are these posts holding up? Any side to side or fore/aft slop? Still debating if I should pick up a dropper and if I do the Thomson is leading the charge.

mtbr member
    what are the benefits of these posts over the ks lev?
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    what are the benefits of these posts over the ks lev?
    I tried a LEV, and I think the seatpost clamp is poorly designed. Since it is not permanently fixed to the post (it is a loose fit, allowing you to rotate the post), it is a weak and wear point. I had to disassemble mine after every other ride to get the creaking to stop. It would be OK for a ride. Mine also developed fore/aft slop, which I guess is acceptable by most people who like droppers. I can't handle it, the noise and saddle movement drove me nuts. Early reports on the Thomson are that it is more solid, it is engineered better, and should be more reliable.

I like the Thomson, not the cable routing, also considering a Reverb as they can be had cheap.

mtbr member
    I'd really love to get a Thomson for the same reasons, I just don't about that routing.

One of my Lev's is pretty solid, the other creaks like a screen door in a hurricane. Might be the ti rails on my saddle, but I don't think so.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I'd really love to get a Thomson for the same reasons, I just don't about that routing.

One of my Lev's is pretty solid, the other creaks like a screen door in a hurricane. Might be the ti rails on my saddle, but I don't think so.
    I have a ti railed saddle on my lev and no creaks.

It has started to develop a bit of "rotational" play at the head.

I agree the clamping mechanism is a step backwards on the LEV VS what they had on the i950 (my i950 never loosened, I need to re-torque the LEV every 2 rides)

The second Thomson creates a post with no moving cable I am all over it. Until then the LEV is the best bet out there as far as I am concerned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    How are these posts holding up? Any side to side or fore/aft slop? Still debating if I should pick up a dropper and if I do the Thomson is leading the charge.
    The post is holding up great. Only one tightening of the seat clamp after it was installed. No noise period.

I have ridden a variety of conditions xc, shore and one trip to the bike park. No issues.

I see you want pictures of installation, don't know what happened to the ones I posted....

For the Thompson, if you want to use your left hand run it to the right of the head tube and on the left (facing forward) under the top tube. I have never noticed the cable ever.

I leave a little extra room to compensate for possible bar spin when I'm having a bad day nd swan diving over the bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There is a stealth Thomson Dropper coming. Should arrive this autumn

mtbr member
    But unfortunately I don't' think the stealth version will work with our frames., at least not without some creative thinking or a drill bit.

Knollician
    Well, after much debate I have ordered up a Thomson. I have yet to find a poor review, I sent a few emails to Thomson and had responses in minutes.

At this time, all droppers have their issues, and the only issue I can find with the Thomson is the cable routing. I think I may have a great solution for this, but we will have to see if it works out. If not, having it hang out back doesn't look to be a big deal.

I have an October Moab trip planned, and this was the motivating factor for getting the post. Porc will be much better with a dropper, as will Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson.

FYI, ending today, Pricepoint has a great deal on the post, $375 shipped. I believe I received the last 31.6, but you can still get the same price. Also, there are a few guys selling for $360 on Ebay. I'll posy up some photos when I get it setup and cable routing for those interested.

mtbr member
    Very interesting in hearing your thoughts Brandon. I know from your talks you are at least as anal as I am about cable routing, so if you find something you think works then maybe I will give it a shot.

$375 is a great deal BTW.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Very interesting in hearing your thoughts Brandon. I know from your talks you are at least as anal as I am about cable routing, so if you find something you think works then maybe I will give it a shot.

$375 is a great deal BTW.
    Will do. Strangely, or maybe not, the last 2 nights I zip tied a cable housing to my regular post and worked out cable routing issues I ordered up a couple of the RockShox cable guides which I think will do the trick. Basically what I came up with last night is to use the normal cable guides on the top tube, and as the seat drops the cable will push forward and out the front of the bike, keeping the cable much like the stationary cable of the LEV. From an appearance stand point it is very clean with no weird loops, and there will be no rub on the frame. This of course is dependent on a complaint cable or well placed cable guides.

Look at this guy's routing and you will see where I am headed

The other option is much like Vancouver setup. Let there be a loop that settles behind the seat tube and in front of the horseshoe. This will cause some rub on the horseshoe which can easily be remedied by some protective tape, but will keep the cable out of the way, and no where near the tire. I can see it being an issue if you need to get really low and behind the saddle.

Another option is to run the cable on the downtube with the rear derailleur cable. Tie the cable to the second tie point and run the cable down the seattube. This is very clean as well, though you see more of the cable when the post is fully extended. It does keep the cable well way from the rockers and shock. When the post is dropped, the loop drops down and basically follows the derailleur cable. When slammed, you don't see the cable. When extended it has a nice loop which is not terribly out of place

For me, I rarely ever see fully slamming the seat, I only drop my normal post 2.5". I really want to get the first option working as it will provide similar routing to the LEV, and when dropped the excess will be pushed out front with the rest of the cables where it will go unnoticed and is out of the way.

mtbr member
    I completely see what you are saying now. That could really work well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast