mtbr member

Thinking about selling my Delirium T and 5 Spot for a Chilcotin

I rode my Delirium T this morning for the first time in a few weeks and I have come to realize I may not need it anymore (Gulp... that is hard to admit). This trail is one of the faster, rockier descents in my area with a few drops, a couple of 15ft gaps, and a few features. However for the past several months I've been riding it mostly on my burly built 5 spot.

The Del-T is just too much bike (in its current 40lb interation) for 90% of what I ride and it felt sluggish, slow, and heavy on this trail. The Spot feels, fast, lively, and plenty capable.

OTOH on really brutal chunky, steep junk, with bigger drops and gaps where the 5 spot will be a bit out of its element the DT shines.

However, I believe the Chilcotin compares favorably to the 5 spot in the faster, climbier, AM/trail type, all day conditions that I ride the most... AND.... will do 95% of what the DT does on the gnarlier stuff.

I'll never have the skills or cajones to do the 5% where the DT my be more capable than the Chilcotin.

Time to sell both bikes and get the Chilcotin?
    Last edited by KRob; 10-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great plan on paper - the only issue stuff isn't selling very well - it is a buyer's market and be prepared to take a big financial hit. Look at the frames on pinkbike that are just stagnant.

I sold the Podium for ~70% reduction. I am trying to sell my Blur TRC, which is frame folks are interested and it has much better shock on it - it is also about a ~65% reduction.

Just a heads up

mtbr member
    +1 agreed market is tough

RideDirt
    This has been the most logical thread I have read in a while ! Anything being sold we will take a big hit on , and yea the market is shitty right now but whatever , can't wait forever for the market to change .. I say do it w no regret and don't look back ...

mtbr member
    agreed. best thing you could do

mtbr member
    I thought I might've had a local buyer for the 5 spot which is what got me thinking (again) about this plan..... but unfortunately he needs a medium.

My other hesitation is that I really like having two functioning bikes that overlap enough that if one is down I can ride the other (may adjust where I ride a bit depending on which bike is functioning) and I like being able to loan a bike out to a visiting family member or friend that is underbiked when I need to.

Maybe toss them up on the classifieds and see what happens?..... but, yeah, I know I can't expect top dollar for them now. That's why I figured I'd have to sell both to even get started with a Chilcotin (probably would still have to kick in another thousand or two to get the chili built up proper).

RideDirt
    Throw out an ad on PB and here to get a feeler of how much interest you might get, nothing to lose anyways . I think Noosa was selling a raw chili frame on here for a good price , dunno what size it is tho.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I thought I might've had a local buyer for the 5 spot which is what got me thinking (again) about this plan..... but unfortunately he needs a medium.

My other hesitation is that I really like having two functioning bikes that overlap enough that if one is down I can ride the other (may adjust where I ride a bit depending on which bike is functioning) and I like being able to loan a bike out to a visiting family member or friend that is underbiked when I need to.

Maybe toss them up on the classifieds and see what happens?..... but, yeah, I know I can't expect top dollar for them now. That's why I figured I'd have to sell both to even get started with a Chilcotin (probably would still have to kick in another thousand or two to get the chili built up proper).
    KRob. what year and size 5 spot? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    KRob. what year and size 5 spot? Thanks.
    2010 size large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I think Noosa was selling a raw chili frame on here for a good price , dunno what size it is tho.
    I know. That's the other thing that got me thinking.....That and the three pretty lengthy test rides I've had on the Chilcotin with very favorable impressions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey.

I sold my DT and did a parts swap to the Chilcotin, plus a new rear wheel. That is also an option to keep costs down.

The DT is amazing and there is still a market for them if it's in great shape. The adjustability and the 5 star ratings from anyone who has used one means you should get 800-1000 for the frame.

Don't know about the five spot, but I appreciate the extra bike from time to time.

....fantastic review of your trip up here. That last pic on immonator, the tree with the roots, is where I did a spectacular endo 2 weeks ago.....

tw

mtbr member
    FWIW i had a similar dilemma. I had a Delirium T and a 2011 Rocky Slayer. Found that when i got the Slayer, i really didnt ride the Delirium T much anymore, so i sold it. Trails here on Vancouver Island are pretty techy, with lots of ups and downs, and the Slayer excelled at climbing. But after awhile, i kind of missed the feel of the DT when pointed downhill. The DT was just so much more capable then the Slayer in that department. So i bought a Chilcotin frame and swapped the Slayer parts over on to it (needed a new headset and seatpost shim), and now i am happy!........except i have a Slayer frame to sell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I went '07 RFX (cracked it), to burly '11 Spot with Fox 36 (just a little too wimpy), to Chilcotin. Gotta say the Chilli is definitely a more worthy replacement to the RFX than the Spot. The Spot is a great bike, no doubt, but for chunk and air time it just fell short on burl. Yes, you will probably take a hit on the used market, but why wait? It's just money and shits and giggles are priceless.

Funny enough I've been tracking your thoughts on sizing as I'm a tweener. I'm 5'11" with 33ish inseam and got a large Chilli. It definitely feels bigger than a large Spot. Longer TT and much longer feeling wheelbase. However, I've gotten used to it and have it set up with a short 50mm stem and seat forward on the rails. Feels like home again. I'm sure the medium would have worked out just fine, but I would have had A LOT of seatpost showing and a ton of spacers under the stem. Would have looked like a clown bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd keep one as a backup bike, particularly since you won't get a lot of money for either. For what it's worth: I've owned my Chili since April and I've ridden my backup bike (5 Spot) a grand total of one time!

mtbr member
    Krob.. You can always put the DT on a diet.

I took mine from 41lbs down as low as 33 lbs & settled at 34 lbs (170mm lyrik solo air, RS monarch air shock, haven wheels, 2.4/2.2 Conti trail kings, kronolog post, 1x9 drivetrain with big cassette, no carbon or super light parts (I also bought an 8" bike & didn't need the full heft of the DT).

It is super fun at the lighter weight. I can imagine a Chilly would be even better but the DT is still the most fun bike in my stable (in between an intense spider 2 & SC Driver 8)

You could always move a few parts over from the 5 spot as a test to lighten the load & see how you like it.

Of course Christmas can be a good time selling used parts & frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Sounds like a great plan on paper - the only issue stuff isn't selling very well - it is a buyer's market and be prepared to take a big financial hit. Look at the frames on pinkbike that are just stagnant.

I sold the Podium for ~70% reduction. I am trying to sell my Blur TRC, which is frame folks are interested and it has much better shock on it - it is also about a ~65% reduction.

Just a heads up
    What size is your Blur TRc? This is the type of bike my friend is looking for. Do you have it listed somewhere?

Nevermind: I think I found it. Link

Would you consider selling the complete bike? Or is it already partially parted out?

MC MasterShake
    I've spent a good amount of time on both the 5 Spot and the Delirium T and you won't be missing anything by selling both and getting the Chilly. The Chilly has a vast range. Sure the 5Spot will be hare better on the long smoother climbs but for any other type of riding the Chilly is way better and more fun. The Chilly also slays Freeride and light DH trails better than the Delirium T.

As far as 2 bikes goes get the Chilly and build her up nice. Then maybe down the line pick up a used BlurTRC or something similar. I have a Yeti ASR5C and it's the perfect compliment to the Chilly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    Krob.. You can always put the DT on a diet.
    Sounds expensive.... but I suppose that would be a good way to start accumulating parts for the eventual Chili build while I'm at it. Most things would transfer.

That's a thought, although I suspect I'll still be less happy with the DT than I would a new Chilcotin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I've spent a good amount of time on both the 5 Spot and the Delirium T and you won't be missing anything by selling both and getting the Chilly. The Chilly has a vast range. Sure the 5Spot will be hare better on the long smoother climbs but for any other type of riding the Chilly is way better and more fun. The Chilly also slays Freeride and light DH trails better than the Delirium T.

As far as 2 bikes goes get the Chilly and build her up nice. Then maybe down the line pick up a used BlurTRC or something similar. I have a Yeti ASR5C and it's the perfect compliment to the Chilly.
    Thanks for the input, woody. That really helps coming from someone who's spent time on both my current rides. You definitely confirm what I suspected about the Chilcotin being able to cover the roles of both those bikes pretty well.

I'm not a purveyor of the "single bike" myth, but the Chilcotin does do a lot. I will probably start looking for a lighter, faster XC type frame to fill in that need once I got the chili if I go that way.

I'd also love to pick up a DH bike for the total lift served stuff if I had any of that anywhere close to me.

I'm also interested in a cross bike for road and gravel road days in the winter.

More bikes = More better!

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks for the input, woody. That really helps coming from someone who's spent time on both my current rides. You definitely confirm what I suspected about the Chilcotin being able to cover the roles of both those bikes pretty well.

I'm not a purveyor of the "single bike" myth, but the Chilcotin does do a lot. I will probably start looking for a lighter, faster XC type frame to fill in that need once I got the chili if I go that way.

I'd also love to pick up a DH bike for the total lift served stuff if I had any of that anywhere close to me.

I'm also interested in a cross bike for road and gravel road days in the winter.

More bikes = More better!
    Glad to help. Can't go wrong with the Chilly!

Agreed, more bikes = better. I was thinking along the same lines. I'm going to turn my Delirium into a pure DH bike with tougher parts a Fox 40. I'm also thinking of getting a Cross-bike for next season. I got a place up in VT that has country roads with a lot of dirt roads going on. I'm thinking it'd be way more fun that your standard road bike fare. You also can't miss out on getting a dirt jumper bike. I picked one up but have yet to find any dirt jumps

RideDirt
    You guys keep talking about more bikes , gees lol going to make me buy more bikes now too ! There is a nice new pump track that opened up close to me that i think i need to take advantage of .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    You guys keep talking about more bikes , gees lol going to make me buy more bikes now too ! There is a nice new pump track that opened up close to me that i think i need to take advantage of .
    Ha, ha. I know what you mean. I've got a really nice BMX track a couple blocks from my house with a pretty active club/race scene and have been jonesing to pick up a cruiser class BMX bike and try that out too.

So many ways to have fun on two wheels!