mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Thin platform pedal for trail riding

Looking to get a set of thin lightweight platform pedals for the Chilcotin.
    Please post up photos and info of your favourite pedals and shoes!

mtbr member
    So far,
    HT AEO1 pedals are the thinnest that I know,
    Never ride one though,

.:HT COMPONENTS:.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    the new canfield crampon ultimates look awesome

Thinnest pedal platform on the market. Never snag your pedal again!

for shoes 5/10. i have freeriders and impacts, both nice shoes

mtbr member
    May 2004

crampawsomes

Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    the new canfield crampon ultimates look awesome

for shoes 5/10. i have freeriders and impacts, both nice shoes

Yes, these pedals are pretty and so far, pretty good. I've got two rides on them and will post a little more feedback after a ride tonight.

Initial thoughts...I need to play with pin position a bit. Riding in 5.10 spitfires but will rock some Karvers tonight in the muddy conditions. The spitfires seem to ride on top of the pins just a hair initially- hopefully pin position will help this (note I had already skipped the one in the middle, as it seemed to protrude up a bit further because of the shape of the pedal). I might be interested in some shorter pins as well, for the spitfire shoes that have very thin soles. I noticed a click coming from one pedal after the last ride but haven't had a chance to analyze just yet...

Otherwise, big platform, comfy, thin and very nicely made.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 07-10-2012 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    point1 podiums

mtbr member
    May 2004
    And the new playa on the market might be these guys, they look well designed:
    Launch Components

They look like a small platform, but apparently measures pretty large (100mm or so)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post

Yes, these pedals are pretty and so far, pretty good. I've got two rides on them and will post a little more feedback after a ride tonight.

Initial thoughts...I need to play with pin position a bit. Riding in 5.10 spitfires but will rock some Karvers tonight in the muddy conditions. The spitfires seem to ride on top of the pins just a hair initially- hopefully pin position will help this (note I had already skipped the one in the middle, as it seemed to protrude up a bit further because of the shape of the pedal). I might be interested in some shorter pins as well, for the spitfire shoes that have very thin soles. I noticed a click coming from one pedal after the last ride but haven't had a chance to analyze just yet...

Are these the latest version of the crampons that we have been waiting for?

And the new playa on the market might be these guys, they look well designed:
    Launch Components

They look like a small platform, but apparently measures pretty large (100mm or so)...
    These look like they would catch rocks and roots very easy, like riding with hooks on your pedals. But I'm sure they did some testing so maybe it's not a big issue.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the new Crampon Ultimates. These things are insanely thin and light. Mine were 342g I think with pins. Plenty of rides on mine and they are just flat out awesome.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nukeproof Electron.

Been running them for a few months, hard to see myself going back to expensive pedals again. Cheap, light, good traction (running with 5.10s)

mtbr member
    Check out the Point 1 podiums and the Straightline AMP pedals.

I have the Point 1s. No complaints at all. I have seen the AMP and they look like a great pedal.

TG

mtbr member
    Be careful with the AMPs though, I've read quite a few times where they tend to unscrew themselves out of the crank. Don't ask me how that happens, but you might want to look into it before you buy.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    ... they are just flat out awesome.
    get it?

"Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Bike to the Bone...
    I have Nukeproof Proton and I really like them.

mtbr member
    I put the VP Vice pedals on my chili. At $72, 380 grams, 105mm x 105mm x 17mm; I had to give them a try. Haven't been able to ride my chili yet, so no report on the pedals.

Universal Cycles -- VP Components VP Vice Platform Pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer View Post
    Nukeproof Electron.

Been running them for a few months, hard to see myself going back to expensive pedals again. Cheap, light, good traction (running with 5.10s)
    I'm considering these, though I had read about problems with play along the shaft. Have you had any problems?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    yessir

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    the crampon ultimates look great. i have twenty6 prerunners for my chili, if i needed pedals i'd go canfield

What the ----?
    Shoes - This spring i purchased some 5.10 Karvers. Designed very well, tons of padding were nedeed, soles grip like crazy, very sturdy and comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I have seen the AMP and they look like a great pedal.

TG
    lightweight 324 G. Ultra lightweight 272 G (Ti axle). Do Want (though not in orange).

For cheap but fairly light/thin there are the wellgo b132 ($50 at PP). 354g per pair claimed.

Thin platform pedal for trail riding-pedals_small.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got the spanks spikes, 12mm thick and I'm very happy with them.

Get 10% off VIP10 coupon Code.

Universal Cycles -- Spank Spike Pedals

mtbr member
    Question to all running flats....Are you guys not climbing technical steeps? I wanted to like flats. I put some very sweet Deity Decoys on with Sam Hill 5.10's and LOVED it on the DH but the super techy climbs were not even in the same league as clipless.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Question to all running flats....Are you guys not climbing technical steeps? I wanted to like flats. I put some very sweet Deity Decoys on with Sam Hill 5.10's and LOVED it on the DH but the super techy climbs were not even in the same league as clipless.
    I ride'm on, all-mountain, on my D. Have been riding flats exclusively for the last year and a half (had been mixed before that, with a 6 year lead up on clipless pedals).

I've got no problems stemming from using flats to climb the rocky/rooty hills here in austin tx. Very rarely do i loose a foot at the top of the pedal stroke.

Honestly, the reason I moved over is that I don't think that my legs are made to pull up and "pedal circles" as much as I had gotten accustomed to. I think that legs are made to mash, and doing otherwise makes one prone to long-term problems. There was a slight adjustment period, but no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    get them while they're hot:

I have both versions and the newer ones are leagues better than V1. I ride flats for everything from grueling suffer-fest climbs to DH shuttle-fests. The biggest improvement is that the spindle is covered in the V2s. No more squeaky squeaky on the climbs. I also think the pin placement is better. It seems like a simple thing, but I think the small details like that are why the Canfield products are so awesome. Oh and the colours are sick too!

Thin platform pedal for trail riding-crampon.jpg

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    get them while they're hot:

I have both versions and the newer ones are leagues better than V1. I ride flats for everything from grueling suffer-fest climbs to DH shuttle-fests. The biggest improvement is that the spindle is covered in the V2s. No more squeaky squeaky on the climbs. I also think the pin placement is better. It seems like a simple thing, but I think the small details like that are why the Canfield products are so awesome. Oh and the colours are sick too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crampon.jpg 
Views:	1899 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	709561
    very nice! yeah, they work better with the karvers, which have a similar sole to the freeriders, not the thin sole like the spitfires.

dig those purple!

also, i see you forewent the middle pin too...

mtbr member
    There is a learning curve and the techniques don't directly transfer that for sure. The biggest thing is you can't lift the bike with your feet anymore, or at least not as directly as being clipped in. There is a lot more body english required but I can make all the steep/tech climbs on flats that I could being clipped in. I have only been riding flats for about 5 months, and there are times where I start to think about clips again. But after a short ride with them I always swear them off again.

We have our share of technical steeps here in NM and if I don't make one its not because of the pedals.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    very nice! yeah, they work better with the karvers, which have a similar sole to the freeriders, not the thin sole like the spitfires.

dig those purple!

also, i see you forewent the middle pin too...
    yeah I ride these with some Impacts and they are grip monsters.

I played around with the pin locations putting different configurations on each pedal side. For me this was the config I liked the best (although honestly I really couldn't tell much difference.)

-cabra cadabra

Dirt Bike Craig
    I only ride flat pedals. I tried going clipless for a few weeks but I couldnt find the support and position that I felt comfortable with when it came to going down. Keep in mind I have an extensive motocross and bmx background which plays its part in my decision. I like to hang it out & push my personal comfort and skill level. How else does one REALLY improve?

I ride with a few friends that are all clipped in. Granted they arent as skilled with bike control, balance, etc. but every time we come to a section that is just outside of their comfort zone, they'll unclip and start walking where as I'll almost always give it my best shot. After all, I can just step my foot off whenever I like. Once at the top, they ALWAYS eat my dust on the way down because theyre so timid about being stuck to the bike.

In summary, for me personally, I have a lot more fun riding with flat pedals even if I dont make that really tough climb at the end.
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member

There's been some chatter on pin placement over in the Canfield forum, it seems that a little time spent positioning the pins could yield better performance. I think some guys have even removed pins and ended up with more of a positive result.

mtbr member
    I've been running these Big Slims. Blackspire - Big Slim MKII Pedals | Blackspire

Pretty tough, good color selection and price. Blackspire Big Slim Pedal 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

beater
    Here's a photo of my Ultimates on the scale with most of the pins installed. I've since removed the leading pin on the outboard edge. They're nice pedals. They slip over rocks nicely, and while I've whacked them pretty hard a couple of times, they just have a couple scratches. Not much squeak with these (riding with Impacts). Grip is good, letting me get all the stroke you would with a flat, but I can still move my foot around on the pedal.

Thin platform pedal for trail riding-cramponults.jpg

For sheer grip, however, you're never going to top the twenty6 Predators. I have Prerunners on my Yelli Screamy, and they aren't even close. The Predators are grippy enough that you can't shift your foot - better have it where you want it before you get busy. I love the Predators, but I needed a more abuse-friendly pedal for trips to UT. Hence the Canfields.

Thin platform pedal for trail riding-twenty6predators.jpg

They aren't the cheapest pedals on the market, but both companies are run by real people, who are really cool and appreciative of the support.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    I'm considering these, though I had read about problems with play along the shaft. Have you had any problems?
    Haven't had any issues. But at 40$, if I did, I wouldn't care

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    They aren't the cheapest pedals on the market, but both companies are run by real people, who are really cool and appreciative of the support.
    Pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from cheap but gawd do I love those! I just cant get myself to spend that much on something thats gonna whack rocks from time to time. Beautiful pedals though

beater
    With steel axles, the twenty6 pedals are about the same price as Podiums or other higher end pedals. It's the Ti axles that are super spendy.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Like I said I just cant justify $150 on beautiful pedals that are going to get dinged up. I'll stick with my $50 replaceable composite bodied pedals. Running the Deity's and liking them a lot. They look identical to those Nukeproof pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    Like I said I just cant justify $150 on beautiful pedals that are going to get dinged up. I'll stick with my $50 replaceable composite bodied pedals. Running the Deity's and liking them a lot. They look identical to those Nukeproof pedals
    Pretty sure the Deity, Nukeproof and NRG Hippy Killers are all the same pedal just branded differently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Good info in this thread, greatly apppreciated.
    Checked them all out and ordered the AMP Ti. Liked the pins, bushings, shape and they seem most suited for trail riding. Don't care for pedals that spin easily when your off them (i.e. bearings). Never tried any pedals anywhere near as thin and light and really looking forward to them. Took a punt on the Ti axle in a moment of weakness...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Had a couple of rides on the AMP Ti's. Used Loctite 243 and they have not backed out (yet). I did not torque them near as much as the instructions said as I am using lightweight XC crank arms that do not have steel inserts. They squeak under load at times though. All pull them apart and lightly re-grease the bushings to see if it helps. Mine came with black washers installed and they spin well enough (I dislike free spinning pedals) and felt great under load. They are thinner than I expected. About 18mm over axle then down to 11mm and back out to 13mm at the outside edge. Really happy with the grip and feel for the trail. They work well with the Freeriders and always seem to sit in just the right spot. Got a pair of new Freeriders while I was at it, and they are much lighter than my Impacts.

The pedals weighed 277g with hex pins installed. In fact, the Freeriders are slightly lighter than my shoes with cleats, so the switch actually made the rotational weight lighter and it was felt on the steep climbs. This combo is miles better than being clipped-in on the trails and felt just as efficient, even on steep climbs. I hope they can stay on the cranks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thin platform pedal for trail riding-amp-ti-.jpg  

Thin platform pedal for trail riding-amp-ti-b.jpg  

Last edited by Chili Powder; 07-20-2012 at 10:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Powder View Post
    I did not torque them near as much as the instructions said as I am using lightweight XC crank arms that do not have steel inserts.
    Love those pedals. What did you mean by torque them? I thought pedals just have to be finger tightened because they self tighten due to the direction in which we pedal

mtbr member
    those amps look nice. canadian made too while not as thin as the crampons i've had great experience with straitline products. their silent guide is great and i have a couple pairs of the original pedals that i'm happy with

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Love those pedals. What did you mean by torque them? I thought pedals just have to be finger tightened because they self tighten due to the direction in which we pedal
    The instructions say to tighten them using a tool with a long arm to get more leverage (torque) like a socket ratchet wrench, or add a pipe over the allen key. Basically, using your standard Park tool does not provide enough tightening torque. If I had steel inserts in the crank arm I would do this, but I don't and do not want to risk stripping the threads. I do not have a torque wrench.

There are few threads of people not satisfied with these pedals because the can undue themselves (especially if they are installed with some thread grease and moderate torque). They say to use no grease and use loctite 242 to set the thread and I assume to prevent potential seizure (like assembly grease). I used grease before on my cranks, wiped it off but did not use a de-greaser so I used 243 which works with residual grease and sets a bit stronger than 242 (as I did not tighten as much).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Powder View Post
    The instructions say to tighten them using a tool with a long arm to get more leverage (torque) like a socket ratchet wrench, or add a pipe over the allen key. Basically, using your standard Park tool does not provide enough tightening torque. If I had steel inserts in the crank arm I would do this, but I don't and do not want to risk stripping the threads. I do not have a torque wrench.

There are few threads of people not satisfied with these pedals because the can undue themselves (especially if they are installed with some thread grease and moderate torque). They say to use no grease and use loctite 242 to set the thread and I assume to prevent potential seizure (like assembly grease). I used grease before on my cranks, wiped it off but did not use a de-greaser so I used 243 which works with residual grease and sets a bit stronger than 242 (as I did not tighten as much).
    makes sense because of the drag on the pedals from the bushings. when you said the have a bit it could potentially back them out. didn't have that issue with their regular platforms. what was the torque value?

shimano recommends 307 in/lbs minimum for pedals into their cranks.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Torque Specifications and Concepts

that comes from the park tools website

J:
    No E-Drive
    Dec 2009

width?

My wah wah's are on their last stretch and I want to get larger platform (for wider foot), some of these are looking nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    Just got the spanks spikes, 12mm thick and I'm very happy with them.

Get 10% off VIP10 coupon Code.

Universal Cycles -- Spank Spike Pedals
    Ordered a pair wednesday should have them on monday to replace these.

destroyed during a drop and hitting a rock buried under pumice.

destroyed while clipping a small post obscured by bushes going pretty fast.

I like the blackspires, but unfortunately they aren't very durable. On the positive the pedal breaking on the post probably saved my foot from breaking.

mtbr member
    Hi- I'm new to the forum and did a search on pedals and found this thread. I'm a beginner and just got myself a new bike. It's a Cannondale Tango SL1 29er. I really like it, but I think I want to swap out the pedals because my feet were definitely moving around on them. I clip in on my road bike, but I'm terrified to do that on a mtn bike, so I started to research flat pedals.

I think I narrowed it down to
    Nukeproof Proton
    and
    Blackspire Big Slim MKII
    (sorry, I did put links in, but since this is my second post, I don't have permission to post links)

What do you all think of these two pedals?
    Is there a difference between the screw-like pins and the nubby pins?
    Will they rip up my shins? (Presumably, my feat wouldn't slip too much so hopefully this wouldn't be too much of an issue.)

I don't need titanium. I mean, it would be nice, but I'm a beginner trail rider, not super aggressive, and I don't plan on racing or doing real downhill (you won't find me at Downieville). So I don't want to spend that much money ($100 max). I don't have five-tens or special shoes (I'm not even sure they make them in my size - womens 6.5). I'm just wearing my trail sneakers.

One thing I was looking at is a pedal that has pins that are not just around the perimeter of the pedal, but towards the center area as well - because I don't have very big feet, and I want to make sure there's always contact with the pins. Is this even valid?

A friend told me that since I have small feet, I should try and find smaller pedals so they don't clip the rocks, so I've been using that parameter as I search. These two are pretty close in size. So anyone have personal experience with either of these pedals?

Is that broken Blackspire in the pic above the Big Slim? Eek.

Opinions/suggestions/recommendations welcome.

thanks in advance,
    laine

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by laine View Post
    Hi- I'm new to the forum and did a search on pedals and found this thread. I'm a beginner and just got myself a new bike. It's a Cannondale Tango SL1 29er.
    Hi laine! The people on the Knolly forum are very helpful, knowledgeable and can probably can give you some general advice, but IMO you'll get more people who have tried those pedals in one of the general forums. You might try a search on "best platform pedals xc" or something similar and post your questions on a general forum also.

That said, you probably want a pedal that is no wider (and possibly a bit skinnier) than your shoe in the place where you will put your shoe when you are riding. That way the pins around the outside can always grab your shoes.

In general: the sharper the pin, the longer the pin, the more pins you have, and the more you weigh, then the less of a soft rubber you need. You should consider these things when making your pedal selection.

I have some mountain bike shoes with 5.10 rubber but rarely use them because I have other shoes that I like better. I usually ride with some old basketball shoes on the DH because I like the ankle support more and I wear low-top approach shoes (have the sticky rubber) for more pedaly terrain.

Personally, I don't run center pins because I find that I rarely put my foot in the correct place and a center pin makes it more difficult to fidget my foot into the position I want. That's just me, but it's something to consider. Also, I always look for pedals with pins that screw in from the bottom side so I can still remove the pins after they are mangled.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by TSC; 10-04-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here's my mini-review of the deity decoy compound. I started riding these in June.

Pros:
    Cheap, light, strong (for plastic), fairly thin

Cons:
    Not enough pins to begin with, no pins in the middle, and lost about a quarter of them

I would buy these pedals if you are on a strict budget but if you can afford to throw down on some nicer pedals I would. There arent enough pins on the pedal and there arent any in the middle of the pedal, just closer to the sides. Are they worth the $50? Yes, but I would definitely spend $100+ for a nicer set with better pin placement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone tried these new Wellgo flats? They look pretty well made for the price.

Wellgo B219 Flat Pedals at Price Point (Can't find a weight on this one?)

Wellgo B184 Flat Pedals at Price Point