mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Stem length question

I'm 5'8" and building an Endo Med.

going to run 750 bars. Wondering if I should go smaller than 50mm on the stem?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleman22 View Post
    I'm 5'8" and building an Endo Med.

going to run 750 bars. Wondering if I should go smaller than 50mm on the stem?
    I'm local to you and probably have a 40mm sitting in the garage if you want to try it out.

mtbr member
    I am similar height to you. I have been tinkering with stem length on the Warden. I don't think it is an easy answer - you have to try it out and see what works for you. I have searched high and low for answers but haven't really found anything that satisfies my curiosity, so I had to go to direct observations!

mtbr member
    Certainly agree with the "try it and see" approach. I started out with a 40mm on my Warden simply because it was what I had, and after a few rides bumped it up to a 50mm just to get myself in the most comfortable position. I'd be interested to try something shorter again in conjunction with wider bars, however some of the trails around here don't see a lot of traffic and get pretty narrow so I'll stick with the 740mm + 50mm combo.

mtbr member
    Yep it is all personal preference. At 5'11" I run a 35mm on my large endo with 800mm bars and a 35mm stack of stem spacers. The only time I feel somewhat cramped is in a series of tight switchbacks if I am seated pedaling, then the bars get close to my knees, standing no issues at all. Still climbs great and I haven't had any front wheel lift problems, but we have very few long steep climbs here. It makes lifting the front around the corner a breeze on switchbacks which I like.

I have used and will continue to do so on some trails, a 760mm bar with a 50mm stem.However I lower the spacer stack to 20mm when I do it too. I know that seems backwards but it stretches me out more when the certain trails call for it. I also move the seat forward a bit when running the 50mm stem, feels more like a traditional xc bike to me this way, with a wolverines attitude instead of a gazelle. Knolly's seem to be pretty forgiving in cockpit setup it, or maybe it is the whole long/low/slack thing that allows for it. Either way I love this bike, and whichever way it is set up I adapt pretty quick and just ride with a huge smile.

mtbr member
    sherwin - great to hear your experience with stem set-up. I am noticing a very similar behavior with the Warden.

I am running 30 inch bars and have been experimenting with both a 40 and 50mm stem.

With the 40mm stem, the bike is playful and I have lots of control of the bike. It is fun! What's more interesting is that the bike pedals extremely well along flats and non-technical uphills. I feel I can pedal in an extra gear. However, I am not able to clean very technical steep climbs as well - shorter stem makes this much tougher.

With the 50mm stem, the bike is more stable and I am less inclined to throw the bike around unless the speeds are faster. However, pedaling is not as efficient, but technical climbs are easier.

As I have switched back and forth over the last week, it is more of difference than I would excepted between 10mm stem.

Sherwin - I am surprised by your spacer stack. I would have assumed the reverse. With the longer stem weighting the front more, I would have thought going with a higher stack would be more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Hey Dude! Yeah the stem change makes a huge difference, amazingly the bike just goes with it and lets us get away with it. Most bikes I have had seem to have a sweet spot and too much variance really shows negative affects.

Yeah, it is backwards on how I run with the stem/stack changes. I have tried doing both the opposite way, and although the bike is fine, I feel a bit "off". I think it is me not so much having a set reach that is used across the board on whatever bike I am riding, but more of how the bike feels for what I am using it for. With the short stem up higher, I have not had trouble weighting the front wheel, and I tend to be standing much more when running it that way. I don't know that I have ever consciously thought about weight on the front wheel, always just rode with my weight on the pedals and liked a lighter feeling front. My Remedy had an issue with any stem under 50mm the front would wash sometimes when landing off camber into a berm or something, but that bike never felt right in the air anyway. The endo feels almost like a BMX made to fit an adult if that makes sense.

When I put the 50mm stem on, everything changes and my body tell me this is made to pedal like an xc bike. So I set it up that way a bit more and stretch it out, lower the front a bit. I tend to be seated a lot more in this mode and not feel as comfortable getting air, but damn it will rail the corners.

I could probably run a 40-45mm stem somewhere in the middle and be perfectly happy, but I don't mind tinkering, I enjoy it actually, and the 2 setups I have now just feel right for what I use them for.

I set out to find a set stem length/stack and leave it. Just happened in testing and found these 2 setups work well for me at different times. I know a lot of the guys here are running the 50mm stem almost slammed, I could't quite go that far, which isn't even an extreme at all, probably spot on almost for what was designed. I would think slamming a 90-100mm stem might be pushing it, but who knows, this bike might just enjoy it. I would need some serious orangoutang arms to try it though.

mtbr member
    great insight!

I am very similar in more of set and forget. With some of the longer bikes that I have ridden, the shorter stem for me had the adverse effect. With the Delirium, the 40mm stem worked much better. This was testing stems for the Delirium on back to back shuttle runs. At first the 40mm stem felt twitchy on the road entering the trail, but on the trail, it was awesome and much better in the air and jumping.

With the Warden, it was obvious to start with the 50mm stem and had no issues. However my experience with the Warden and the fact that Knolly frames run similar, I had to try the 40mm. almost I recognized its benefits. In general, I prefer the 40mm because of playful and pedal efficiency. I need to figure out this technical climbing, as I am guy who likes to make the climbs others tend to walk.

The pedal performance is the most intriguing to me. I am around faster with 40mm stem. I noticed it as well as my riding buddies. Since I have discussed this with them, they can almost tell which stem I am using based on distance us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hey Dude!, how much space are running below your stems? Do you change spacers when changing stems? I am running a 50 mm stem with 10 mm spacer and somewhat narrower bars (Next SL risers but I can't remember the width).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Hey Dude!, how much space are running below your stems? Do you change spacers when changing stems? I am running a 50 mm stem with 10 mm spacer and somewhat narrower bars (Next SL risers but I can't remember the width).
    I have been running a 5mm spacer. I haven't changed spacers between stems. I found I tend to roll the bars rearward with the 50mm - shortening reach and lowering height. Vice-a-versa with the 40m stem, roll forward. I haven't noticed a height issue where I either feel too low or too high.

Maybe I am adversely affecting my position with the 50mm stem because of this?