Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stealth Reverb for my Chilli

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Parabellum 
#1 · (Edited)
The external cable from my dropper had to go & the Stealth was the way for me. I know there are other 150 dropper posts that attach by the seat collar, but I've had no problems with the Reverb in the past.

No drilling required.....honest

No more cable rub like this...

See less See more
#4 ·
At first all I could think was that I hated that cable routing.... but I keep looking at it and thinking "maybe..."

How long have you had it set up like this? A 150mm Reverb would be awesome, I love how the bar clamp integrates into my brake levers (Avid.)

#8 ·
At first all I could think was that I hated that cable routing.... but I keep looking at it and thinking "maybe..."
geo025 definitely has a great idea for the stealthy post crowd.

Aesthetic options: try to put the dropper cable through the upper water-bottle screw hole and:

1) run the dropper cable over the bottom cables going to the rear; OR
2) clip one less clip on the top and have the dropper cable "drop" sooner.

Either way might move the cable from your sight-line.

#9 ·
geo,
That's some creative routing!

A quick note on cable routing for your other cables. The small cutout at the front of the seattube linkage is designed to be a spot where you can tie your rear brake and shifter to. It keeps the cables from getting caught up on the tire or your shoe if something unusual happens...

If you want to protect the ano on the linkage you can use a piece of tubing as a spacer and run the zip tie through it.

#10 ·
Ok it was a fairly straight forward procedure but not my idea, I stole it off the Ibis forum.
I never use bottles so the lower hole was what looked like the best option.
I threaded a piece of 1mm copper electrical wire stripped back then hooked it onto the Reverb line (a little bit of patience along with a steady hand). Ive added some protection for the hydraulic line ( old hydro tube & high pressure plastic water line) in the seat tube & where it junctions the down tube.
Where it exits the down tube I have another plastic sleeve with a very snug fit to help protect it from any leverage damage.

No real world on trail rides yet so cant comment on durability... yet.

#13 ·
This is working out well , the only problem if you are considering this is would be any interference with the type of bike rack you have.

On another note I've dropped the rear shifter & brake lines down as in pic , definitely helps with keeping the shifting smooth + my big feet no longer get tangled in them.

#14 ·
Thanks for the update Geo!
Next time you have the camera out could you snap some pics of how the cable enters the frame? Also did you use a stock Reverb hose-or an aftermarket hose? I have a replacement stock hose and the diameter is too large, wondering if there is another diameter that lends itself better to this application.

BTW the down low routing on your derailleur/brakes looks stealth!

#16 ·
Here you go Calhoun, I used the standard Stealth line .
You have to remove a water bottle insert. Some may not like doing this but I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue to get another one installed if or when you wanted to move the frame on.
To get the bottle mounting screw out (it had seized in place on my frame). I had to wedge a screw driver under the water bottle screw to stop the insert spinning. This is made of a soft alloy that's crimped in place.
After the wedging action on the insert I realized how soft it was so just knocked the top off the insert. You could also file the top of it carefully & put some duct tape over the area to stop any scrapes to the frame.
If you have the patience you can get that loose remaining insert out via the seat tube.
Then just thread apiece of thin wire (not too flexible) through the hole, you can hook it out via another wire from the seat tube & you have your draw wire in place.
It took me half an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.