mtbr member

Stans tubeless troubles

I'm running Stans ZTR Flow rims with Specialized Butcher and Clutch tires. I've had the beads pop off on me twice, when there are lateral forces on the tires, such as landing slightly sideways off a hip, or turning sharp on a rough section of trail.

I'm 220lbs, so I'm wondering if the problem is just with the tires not having a good enough bead, or if it is a design issue with the rim itself, or am I just too damn heavy to run tubeless?

In both instances, after a short release of air, the tire resealed itself and was still rideable, but lost 5-10 psi.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

MC MasterShake
    It's a tire/rim combo issue. I had that same issue with Flows/Ardent 2.4's and Crests/Mountain King. However I'm fine with Flows/HR2 and Crest/Minions. You can try getting past it with higher PSI but then you gotta run things with higher PSI. I've also read that another layer of helicopter tape or the Bontrager Rim Strips can help, but I have not tried either of those.

I don't think it's a weight thing as I weigh 155 and have had issues.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the same issues with flow ex rims and maxxis minion 2.35. Issue is i'm running them tubeless and the minions I have are note meant to be used this way. So, the sidewalls are too weak and they fold. They're meant to be run with a tube which helps stiffen the side wall.

mtbr member
    I posted the same question to the wheel forum, and they told me my "Control" model tire had a light sidewall that folds easily and takes the bead with it, causing the burping. I should have bought a different tire, or at least the DH version.

Guess I'll put a tube in it, or try the Chunky Monkeys.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    interesting... i run flows/minion dhf on the front and flow/high roller2 rear and don't have any issues. but i do run them with tubes. never trusted that tubeless hype... ;-)

Delirious Tuck
    Big B... Had same issue with Butcher controls on rear, burping and coming off rim on off-camber landings and really pushing through corners.

Totally is the Control/2Bliss sidewalls, moved to HR2s and no issues. Funny enough, I run the Butcher Control up front tubeless as well and no issues even in hard cornering or bombing a techy line.

SX Sidewall on my Chili has been issue free with tubes.

Also, tried tubes in the Control Butchers to see if that'd help, nope, they just rolled right over. About 250#s with full gear here.