mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Small or Medium Podium?

Hi,
    I am 5'7 (170cm), but i am still growing (16). my doctor thinks that i wont grow much more, but looking at my brother and Dad i think i will grow like 6cm more.

I like to ride small bikes, i really enjoy riding my XS giant Terrago around the city. Its easy to bunnyhop, whip, and its playful, i can hop onto everything.

On the trails i ride a Splesh Stumpjumper, its a M sized frame, when i whip with the saddle at the lowest position it tends to hit my Thigh.

I have been saving for over 2 years to build up my DH bike and i really want to get one that fits me well.

What would you do?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Hi Chrispes:

I'll answer here

Our 2012 / 2013 sizing has changed very slightly from what it was in 2011 and before. For MOST riders, the sizing for our new generation of product (Chilcotin, new 2013 Podium and new 2013 Endorphin) works as:
    Small: 5'6" and under
    Medium: 5'7" through 5'11"
    Large 6' through 6'3"
    X-large: 6'3" and above

This is a rough guide, and there are situations where riders near or on the verge of two sizes may prefer the "other" size than the one that would normally be indicated for them.

In your case - especially if you're still growing - the medium would be the safe bet. If you hit 5'8" and especially if you hit 5'9", then you'll most likely be happier on the medium frame.

But beyond that, I'm not sure that we can make any more recommendations, and if you like smaller frames (and if you pick up the small) the only risk is that you might outgrow the frame in a year or two.

Please let me know if I can answer any more specific questions.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    16 yrs old on a Knolly...That's great! Medium makes sense.