Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Slight clacking sound on 2013 Endorphin

I've had my 2013 Endorphin for a year, riding 2x per week on average, year round. Recently, I have picked up a clacking sound as the rear suspension encounters small but sharp bumps. All of the pivots and shock mounts are solid and tight. My mechanic even pulled off the crankset and reassembled the main pivot just to be sure.

What could this be? Has anybody had the same experience?

More detail - it is not a clicking or creaking sound. It is not rotational. It is not cables, seatpost, cranks, pedals, wheels, spokes, shoes, chainrings, chain, brakes etc. The axle is snug. It happens whether standing or seated. It doesn't occur on bigger hits. The headset is in proper tension. It is a "clack" sound coming from the rear triangle on small sharp hits (braking bumps, gopher holes). The sound is relatively new. I am running a Fox CTD. I hear the clacking sound whether in T or D (and I never run it in C). I cannot feel any looseness anywhere.

I weigh 210lbs and ride aggressively over some pretty rocky terrain at good speed. I do small drops (2-4') on this bike.

Any ideas? It's mildly annoying, and I could live with it, but history has shown me that any unusual sounds should be dealt with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Rear derailleur hitting frame?

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Loose rear wheel bearings?

mtbr member
    I had a similar experience with mine, pretty sure it is the shock. My clack noise went away for good after I got PUSH to tune up the shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    12 months riding twice per week,,, id say it could be time for shock service, or upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    12 months riding twice per week,,, id say it could be time for shock service, or upgrade.
    Thanks, that's two votes for shock. I should have mentioned that I had a custom Marzocchi Roco TST on there for about three months, while my CTD rested. I'll check out the wheel bearings and the shock. It's definitely not the derailleur contacting the frame.

Thanks for the responses!

mtbr member
    I would say shock as well. Do you still have the Roco? You could swap them and see if the clank continues. Does your CTD use DU bushings? Could be time to replace those.

Keep us posted

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd suggest putting the Roco back on for process of elimination purposes then go from there.

mtbr member
    Thanks - I sold the Roco - it didn't play well with the Endo's suspension characteristics. I am getting the 3-d rocker link, so maybe remounting with new bushings might help. Again, there is no looseness at the shock mount - everything is tight and solid. If it's the shock, it's internal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Too bad you're not local. You could swap in my fox for a go at; 1) checking if it's your shock that is making noise, and 2) experiencing what a ctd feels like when it doesn't-work-worth-a-damn-but-fox-says-it's-all-good. lol.

bit of a stretch but I also have the bushings etc. If you reckon it'll sort you out I'm happy to drop them in the post for you.
    edit: apparently my reading comprehension is impaired. Missed the bit about you being sure it's internal to the shock, making the hardware irrelevant.
    Slight clacking sound on 2013 Endorphin-hardware.jpg

mtbr member
    maybe shock internal seals worn, but usually this produces a grinding noise or squelch in the first 30% of travel.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    I've had my 2013 Endorphin for a year, riding 2x per week on average, year round. Recently, I have picked up a clacking sound as the rear suspension encounters small but sharp bumps. All of the pivots and shock mounts are solid and tight. My mechanic even pulled off the crankset and reassembled the main pivot just to be sure.

More detail - it is not a clicking or creaking sound. It is not rotational. It is not cables, seatpost, cranks, pedals, wheels, spokes, shoes, chainrings, chain, brakes etc. The axle is snug. It happens whether standing or seated. It doesn't occur on bigger hits. The headset is in proper tension. It is a "clack" sound coming from the rear triangle on small sharp hits (braking bumps, gopher holes). The sound is relatively new. I am running a Fox CTD. I hear the clacking sound whether in T or D (and I never run it in C). I cannot feel any looseness anywhere.

I weigh 210lbs and ride aggressively over some pretty rocky terrain at good speed. I do small drops (2-4') on this bike.

Any ideas? It's mildly annoying, and I could live with it, but history has shown me that any unusual sounds should be dealt with.
    That is funny you mentioned this. I am having the exact same issue. My CTD has about 15 rides on it and the DBair is in for service. I only hear the clunking noise when hitting sharp bumps (roots/rocks) at more than walking speed. I have checked all of the linkage and it feels tight. Once I get the DBair back I will see if the issue goes away and report back.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Knomer

I think your wheels might be too small.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I think your wheels might be too small.
    Oh nooooooo!!!!!! Appropriate that you pick the devil icon to go with that comment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seems I have the same problem with my CTD. What is weird is sometimes it's really bad and other times I don't even hear it riding the same trail at the same speed.

Knollician
    Oh nooooooo!!!!!! Appropriate that you pick the devil icon to go with that comment.
    Is someone looking at a Warden??
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    SRAM type 2 der? That clutch can have a mean pop when it goes into action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    SRAM type 2 der? That clutch can have a mean pop when it goes into action.
    XTR Shadow Plus. Definitely not the sound - but I appreciate the response!

I wish I could record the sound - I am sure somebody would go "ohhhh, yeah, that's the ______ ."

Unit 91
    Funny you mention this, and I am glad you did because I am having the same noise. I have had my Endo since about late August and have ridden it maybe a total of 20 times. I recently started noticing the noise and began to investigate. All mounting hardware is tight, I have the newer Fox DU Bushings and they don't have any play. The noise is un-nerving mostly because it sounds like a loose bolt or something similar. I too have a CTD, but I didn't expect it to be that. Any help or guidance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the same issue on another mf frame. Turned out to be Fox shock internal. Sent it in for service and now all is good. To recreate my issue I let most of the air out of the shock while on the frame and cycled it through full travel. I had a chunk clank 3/4 of the was through the stoke. You might give this a try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Perhaps too obvious, but even though you checked the shock bolts it just really, really sounds like movement in the shock bushing. Sorry if you stated this but could the bushings be worn? Even a pretty tight shock bolt will still "clack" if the bushing has play in it.

I know my Chilcotin does this if I don't really tighten the lower shock bolt.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I found the derailleur hanger wasn't quite snug, I was able to turn the torx screws in about a half turn each. Maybe that's it. Won't know 'til the weekend. If that's not it, I'll try the shock bushings and the deflate the shock thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One more thing to check while waiting to have the shock inspected. Do you only hear the noise in the larger rear cogs? Is it possible the inner plate is making contact with the cog? My XTR had a not quite enough b-tension screw and the inner plate could actually make contact with the biggest two cogs. Dialing it out for a little less chain wrap fixed the problem. That said, it was more of a grinding feeling when pedaling than the clack sound you seem to be having. At least it's one more thing that can be checked pretty easily.
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It sounds like your Fox CTD blew. Mine did the same and sounded like something was rattling.

mtbr member
    Nope. not a rattling sound. The shock works great. Not leaking, not squeaking. It's holding air and performing well. I have made a couple of adjustments and I will report back after the weekend to see whether I've fixed it or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast