Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Slight clacking sound on 2013 Endorphin

7K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  delirian 
#1 ·
I've had my 2013 Endorphin for a year, riding 2x per week on average, year round. Recently, I have picked up a clacking sound as the rear suspension encounters small but sharp bumps. All of the pivots and shock mounts are solid and tight. My mechanic even pulled off the crankset and reassembled the main pivot just to be sure.

What could this be? Has anybody had the same experience?

More detail - it is not a clicking or creaking sound. It is not rotational. It is not cables, seatpost, cranks, pedals, wheels, spokes, shoes, chainrings, chain, brakes etc. The axle is snug. It happens whether standing or seated. It doesn't occur on bigger hits. The headset is in proper tension. It is a "clack" sound coming from the rear triangle on small sharp hits (braking bumps, gopher holes). The sound is relatively new. I am running a Fox CTD. I hear the clacking sound whether in T or D (and I never run it in C). I cannot feel any looseness anywhere.

I weigh 210lbs and ride aggressively over some pretty rocky terrain at good speed. I do small drops (2-4') on this bike.

Any ideas? It's mildly annoying, and I could live with it, but history has shown me that any unusual sounds should be dealt with.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks, that's two votes for shock. I should have mentioned that I had a custom Marzocchi Roco TST on there for about three months, while my CTD rested. I'll check out the wheel bearings and the shock. It's definitely not the derailleur contacting the frame.

Thanks for the responses!

#9 ·
Thanks - I sold the Roco - it didn't play well with the Endo's suspension characteristics. I am getting the 3-d rocker link, so maybe remounting with new bushings might help. Again, there is no looseness at the shock mount - everything is tight and solid. If it's the shock, it's internal.

#10 ·
Too bad you're not local. You could swap in my fox for a go at; 1) checking if it's your shock that is making noise, and 2) experiencing what a ctd feels like when it doesn't-work-worth-a-damn-but-fox-says-it's-all-good. lol.

bit of a stretch but I also have the bushings etc. If you reckon it'll sort you out I'm happy to drop them in the post for you.
edit: apparently my reading comprehension is impaired. Missed the bit about you being sure it's internal to the shock, making the hardware irrelevant.
Metal Circle Household hardware Plastic Aluminium

#12 ·
That is funny you mentioned this. I am having the exact same issue. My CTD has about 15 rides on it and the DBair is in for service. I only hear the clunking noise when hitting sharp bumps (roots/rocks) at more than walking speed. I have checked all of the linkage and it feels tight. Once I get the DBair back I will see if the issue goes away and report back.

#19 ·
Funny you mention this, and I am glad you did because I am having the same noise. I have had my Endo since about late August and have ridden it maybe a total of 20 times. I recently started noticing the noise and began to investigate. All mounting hardware is tight, I have the newer Fox DU Bushings and they don't have any play. The noise is un-nerving mostly because it sounds like a loose bolt or something similar. I too have a CTD, but I didn't expect it to be that. Any help or guidance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

#20 ·
I had the same issue on another mf frame. Turned out to be Fox shock internal. Sent it in for service and now all is good. To recreate my issue I let most of the air out of the shock while on the frame and cycled it through full travel. I had a chunk clank 3/4 of the was through the stoke. You might give this a try.

#21 ·
Perhaps too obvious, but even though you checked the shock bolts it just really, really sounds like movement in the shock bushing. Sorry if you stated this but could the bushings be worn? Even a pretty tight shock bolt will still "clack" if the bushing has play in it.

I know my Chilcotin does this if I don't really tighten the lower shock bolt.

#22 ·
Thanks everyone. I found the derailleur hanger wasn't quite snug, I was able to turn the torx screws in about a half turn each. Maybe that's it. Won't know 'til the weekend. If that's not it, I'll try the shock bushings and the deflate the shock thing.

#23 ·
One more thing to check while waiting to have the shock inspected. Do you only hear the noise in the larger rear cogs? Is it possible the inner plate is making contact with the cog? My XTR had a not quite enough b-tension screw and the inner plate could actually make contact with the biggest two cogs. Dialing it out for a little less chain wrap fixed the problem. That said, it was more of a grinding feeling when pedaling than the clack sound you seem to be having. At least it's one more thing that can be checked pretty easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.