Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Should I lighten up my Endorphin

Hey all. I have a endorphin right now that ive been riding for 6 months. I didnt mean too, but somewhere along the lines it gained alot of weight. Im running beefy tires (supergravity hans damf front minion dhf2.3 rear), I have a vengence up front, double barell, and xt/x7 drivetrain. I think im at 33lbs on a XL and its been feeling a bit sluggish lately. How much diffrence is a lighter endo and how fun are they. Keep in mind I weigh 235 and my trails are preety hairy down here in laguna, but I love big 30 mile rides. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by me and my bike View Post
    Hey all. I have a endorphin right now that ive been riding for 6 months. I didnt mean too, but somewhere along the lines it gained alot of weight. Im running beefy tires (supergravity hans damf front minion dhf2.3 rear), I have a vengence up front, double barell, and xt/x7 drivetrain. I think im at 33lbs on a XL and its been feeling a bit sluggish lately. How much diffrence is a lighter endo and how fun are they. Keep in mind I weigh 235 and my trails are preety hairy down here in laguna, but I love big 30 mile rides. Thanks!
    33lb for an endo is about the heaviest ive come across. Not to be rude, but are you carrying extra weight? if so eat less and save the grocery money for lighter parts. once you are at target body weight (you may be already, I don't know you) weigh yourself on the bathroom scales then weigh yourself holding the bike to get the bike weight. Next post this weight with the parts list and tell us more about the terrain you ride and how you ride it.

HTH
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Lol Mo, you're turning to MTBR? It's a lost cause.

(jk)

I can vouch for mo not really carrying extra weight (I am) but he's a solid climber. My suggestions would be a new fork (pike?) and lighter tires. Other than that, a CTD instead of the DBa would help, but you're sacrificing versatility with that. You like your dropper, but dropping it would help shed some weight. You're already 1x10, so not much there. The I9s are light, so I guess the biggest culprit is the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    33lb for an endo is about the heaviest ive come across. Not to be rude, but are you carrying extra weight? if so eat less and save the grocery money for lighter parts. once you are at target body weight (you may be already, I don't know you) weigh yourself on the bathroom scales then weigh yourself holding the bike to get the bike weight. Next post this weight with the parts list and tell us more about the terrain you ride and how you ride it.

HTH
    Im not sure whether to thank you or be insulted! haha I am kind of big, thats why some call me big mo but I dont see that changing anytime soon. The trails I ride are steep chunky and fast, but you pay to play with lots of elevation climbing. It'd be easier to show you in person, so come on down! Im thinking lighter fork, tires, and crank for a 3-4 pound loss? Will the bike feel a bit more alive? Wooried about losing its dh ability?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post

(jk)

I can vouch for mo not really carrying extra weight (I am) but he's a solid climber. My suggestions would be a new fork (pike?) and lighter tires. Other than that, a CTD instead of the DBa would help, but you're sacrificing versatility with that. You like your dropper, but dropping it would help shed some weight. You're already 1x10, so not much there. The I9s are light, so I guess the biggest culprit is the fork.
    2 x10 now.1x sucked big time! And tell it like it is, I can handle the weight jokes!!! See you this week john!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post

(jk)

just kiddin with the weight thing, but its amazing how many people focus on dropping pounds from the bike before looking at themselves.

4x4 is best with sensitive shocks...CTD is bad advice for a Knolly.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Im not sure whether to thank you or be insulted! haha I am kind of big, thats why some call me big mo but I dont see that changing anytime soon. The trails I ride are steep chunky and fast, but you pay to play with lots of elevation climbing. It'd be easier to show you in person, so come on down! Im thinking lighter fork, tires, and crank for a 3-4 pound loss? Will the bike feel a bit more alive? Wooried about losing its dh ability?
    ..my dry humour..

forks wheels tyres and cranks are probably where you could shed the most, its just a $$ per gram trade-off exercise on a spreadsheet to work out where to put the cash.

id say wait til things break then replace with lighter but strong parts

dont expect to feel a difference by dropping 1 pound from non wheel/tyre related parts.

do expect to feel a difference by fitting lighter faster rolling tyres
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I think you can go lighter and still have a worthy bike for your trails. My Endo started off with a Revelation/CTD combo and fairly light tires. When it turned into my one bike I put a Pike and CCDBA, and now Maxxis TR tires. Even with those changes the bike feels very different. Both set ups were/are a lot of fun, but for a "one" bike solution I prefer the Pke/ccdba.

If you lighten it up in the right places I think you can have a bike that will be more enjoyable to climb, a bit snappier in and out of the corners, and still plenty of fun on the downhills. Just by changing to a Pike and set of Maxxis TR tires you will loose at least 2 pounds.

I don't want to hop on the bandwagon too quick but I think the Warden would suit you very well. I spent four days on it up here in the Santa Monicas and was very impressed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I think you can go lighter and still have a worthy bike for your trails. My Endo started off with a Revelation/CTD combo and fairly light tires. When it turned into my one bike I put a Pike and CCDBA, and now Maxxis TR tires. Even with those changes the bike feels very different. Both set ups were/are a lot of fun, but for a "one" bike solution I prefer the Pke/ccdba.

If you lighten it up in the right places I think you can have a bike that will be more enjoyable to climb, a bit snappier in and out of the corners, and still plenty of fun on the downhills. Just by changing to a Pike and set of Maxxis TR tires you will loose at least 2 pounds.

I don't want to hop on the bandwagon too quick but I think the Warden would suit you very well. I spent four days on it up here in the Santa Monicas and was very impressed.
    Your from santa monica?? Come on down and Ill give you a tour! 45 min drive! And yeah that sounds good about the weight on fork and tires. The fork im thinking more of the slant to save some money but ill see if i can score a pike

mtbr member
    Your from santa monica?? Come on down and Ill give you a tour! 45 min drive! And yeah that sounds good about the weight on fork and tires. The fork im thinking more of the slant to save some money but ill see if i can score a pike
    ive got 2.3 spesh butcher control (730g) and purgatory control (685g) tyres on my endo and they've been pretty darn good
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I've heard good things about the Slant. I think Herzalot is still running one on his Endo.

I've been meaning to get down there. I lived in DP for a few years and road Aliso a bit. Maybe we can get a little Knolly group gathering together in the next few weeks?

mtbr member
    ive got 2.3 spesh butcher control (730g) and purgatory control (685g) tyres on my endo and they've been pretty darn good
    What type of riding conditions do you like these in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    What type of riding conditions do you like these in?
    perfect in the dry, they are fastrolling, they have worked well in damp intermediate, not mud obviously, loose over hardpack, natural, fine on roots and gravel/stones/rocks. i.e, theyre good general trail tyres.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    perfect in the dry, they are fastrolling, they have worked well in damp intermediate, not mud obviously, loose over hardpack, natural, fine on roots and gravel/stones/rocks. i.e, theyre good general trail tyres.
    I am looking for other options to my Schwalbe HD front/NN rear combination. Trails are really mucky here right now, with lots slippery roots/wet rock.

I guess it is gonna start getting snow in the mountains soon - I have been real lazy and not gone skiing yet.

As for the OP - yes, for sure your Endo should be lightened up. My Chilcotin is at 29LBS. Tires/wheelsets is the area you will notice the weight loss the most.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    I am looking for other options to my Schwalbe HD front/NN rear combination. Trails are really mucky here right now, with lots slippery roots/wet rock.

I guess it is gonna start getting snow in the mountains soon - I have been real lazy and not gone skiing yet.

As for the OP - yes, for sure your Endo should be lightened up. My Chilcotin is at 29LBS. Tires/wheelsets is the area you will notice the weight loss the most.
    someone I ride with recommended them, they came stock on a Stumpjumper
    FSR Expert Carbon Evo 26 , when they wore out he replaced them with the same again:

Specialized Bicycle Components

I run them on rims with 23mm inner width (wtb i23's) and the profile is excellent.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I did the math. Tires and fork swap will get rid of 2.4lbs. I dont know guys, doesnt seem game changing??

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maybe explaining more in what Im trying to achieve. I want the bike to accelerate faster. Get the endo up to speed and there is no stopping it, but in pedaly singletrack it doesnt seems to feel a bit dull, almost like im doing too much work. Make sense?curious if thats just the effect of 4bar

mtbr member
    Maybe explaining more in what Im trying to achieve. I want the bike to accelerate faster. Get the endo up to speed and there is no stopping it, but in pedaly singletrack it doesnt seems to feel a bit dull, almost like im doing too much work. Make sense?curious if thats just the effect of 4bar
    this is starting to sound like shock tune and/or tyre drag. dropping 4lbs by putting faster tyres on etc and getting the suspension dialled will help out a lot on singletrack.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    What is your wheelset?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Super gravity tires are also probably overkill for laguna, unless you're shuttling telonics / PG / Valhalla repeatedly all day, or ride Joplin often. Those tires are pigs! Dropping 2.5 lbs of tires will cost you $150, dropping 2.5 lbs anywhere else on your bike will cost thousands. Plus the 'anywhere else' isn't rotating weight. The perceived benefit is something stupid like 7:1 for un-sprung vs. sprung weight decreases.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Super gravity tires are also probably overkill for laguna, unless you're shuttling telonics / PG / Valhalla repeatedly all day, or ride Joplin often. Those tires are pigs! Dropping 2.5 lbs of tires will cost you $150, dropping 2.5 lbs anywhere else on your bike will cost thousands. Plus the 'anywhere else' isn't rotating weight. The perceived benefit is something stupid like 7:1 for un-sprung vs. sprung weight decreases.
    2.4 lbs on tires?? I think your greatly overestimating the weight. Sg is only 150 g more and the trails we ride are pretty rough and rugged ( pm for names). I think the minion is over kill though in the rear. Hmm i have some planning to do

mtbr member
    He's almost right. The SG adds 230 grams (half a pound.) The Minion is definitely overkill. I have a X-King for you like I said...
    2013 Kona Process

mtbr member
    this is starting to sound like shock tune and/or tyre drag. dropping 4lbs by putting faster tyres on etc and getting the suspension dialled will help out a lot on singletrack.
    +1 Proper shock tune and tire choice may be all you need to get the Endorphin where you want it.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I've been meaning to get down there. I lived in DP for a few years and road Aliso a bit. Maybe we can get a little Knolly group gathering together in the next few weeks?
    If this happens, I'm probably in

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tweasol View Post
    If this happens, I'm probably in
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast