Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

shorter travel bike - tag teaming with the chili

Im looking for a shorter travel bike to sit alongside my Knolly Chilcotin, for mellow or marathon days when the Chili just isnt needed.

Im considering buying a 650b endo on release but there is alot of competition in the endos category, much more so than i found in the Chili's category (basically because the Chili could be built up bigger, i.e. the competition was less tough).

In my eyes the contenders are:

Banshee Spitfire 650b
    Intense Carbine SL
    Transition Bandit
    Lapierre X-Flow
    Lynskey Pro 650b
    Mondraker Foxy
    Norco Sight 650b
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Turner 5spot
    Turner Burner 650b
    ..or..
    Knolly Endorphin 650b

Which bike would you pick and why?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Why not go 29r if you are using it for marathon. Turner Czar is on my short list to fill the exact same niche next year when I retire my old 26" Turner Burner.
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust View Post
    Why not go 29r if you are using it for marathon. Turner Czar is on my short list to fill the exact same niche next year when I retire my old 26" Turner Burner.
    I wont buy a 29er, its not me bud. I came from BMX years ago and still think 26ers are a tad too big If it was upto me the next wheel standard would be 25inch.

I think ideally, it will be a 130-140mm travel bike with 650b wheels....probably not a 150 forks bike as that would be closing in on the Chilcotin too much...maybe..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I understand not wanting big wheels, so why go to 650b? why not get a 26" xc bike then?
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust View Post
    I understand not wanting big wheels, so why go to 650b? why not get a 26" xc bike then?
    Well 650b with smaller volume tyres will have the same traction as a 26inch bike with high volumne tyres...they are almost the same, hardly be able to tell the difference.

29ers and XC bikes are just not my thing.

Im looking for a tough trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hm tough choice there, if it was me i would be asking what manufacturer will support thier product, of the few you mentioned there, there are a few frames that are well known for snapping / cracking. of the frames you list knolly turner and transition are well known for looking after their customers, i would be looking at the endo. ha ha but then im biased towards that as i am building one at the mo, ( be it a 26 not 650b)

mtbr member
    I think a 26" Endo would compliment your Chilcotin best. Should you ever need them the parts could transfer over to either bike. And who doesn't like spare parts?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    hm tough choice there, if it was me i would be asking what manufacturer will support thier product, of the few you mentioned there, there are a few frames that are well known for snapping / cracking. of the frames you list knolly turner and transition are well known for looking after their customers, i would be looking at the endo. ha ha but then im biased towards that as i am building one at the mo, ( be it a 26 not 650b)
    i havent ruled out the 26' endo either, should have said that.

Last time i went round the block, i picked the chili first, only to carry on researching for 3 more months before i had eliminated all the competition and landed back at the chilcotin. Should have trusted my instincts

If i was to take a guess at where i might end up this time, id say the Endorphin (built with 140mm Bos devilles) or the Rocky Mountain Altitude (130mm 650b). Then the Chili could get converted from its 160 air set up, to 170 marz 55s with ccdb coil...oh aye!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I think a 26" Endo would compliment your Chilcotin best. Should you ever need them the parts could transfer over to either bike. And who doesn't like spare parts?
    Thats a very interesting point and i hadnt realised this...are you saying the linkages bolts bushes and bearings are the same on both bikes!??

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    650B front wheel on an endo, no waiting. The Burner will just slow you way, way, down, since you're able to pilot the Chilcotin without complaining.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    650B front wheel on an endo, no waiting. The Burner will just slow you way, way, down, since you're able to pilot the Chilcotin without complaining.
    Thats another very interesting point.

mtbr member
    Also considering this same scenario and wondering what to do. The other thing to consider is that who knows when (if?) the 650b Endorphin will be available. Wouldn't surprise me if it were a year (or more) before you could take delivery of one.

So, if you're thinking about something for this year I'd look at the Norco Sight 650b and the RM Altitude (maybe the Scott Genius too) if you're thinking 27.5

Something like a Blur TRc, Mojo SL, Covert Carbon, Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon, or Yeti ASR-5 would fit the bill if you decide to go 26" (in addition to the Endo, of course).

I haven't ruled out 29er (and I'm pretty sure I'm not gay ) so I also have the Czar, Banshee Prime, Cannodale Trigger, Ibis Ripley, or even a Giant Anthem 29er (which comes in a $9000 carbon front triangle "O" version now) on my list to fill in that fast, buff to tough trail slayer niche.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Knollician
    Endo 26er if you like to have fun Seriously though the Endo 26 is a serious ripper, and is more than capable than you would think. I love having both an Endo and Chili. I never debate which bike I would ride, they are very different animals.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    they are very different animals.
    More than a few people have told me this exact thing when I've inquired.....
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Thats a very interesting point and i hadnt realised this...are you saying the linkages bolts bushes and bearings are the same on both bikes!??
    not sure about all the piece parts being transferable. mostly speaking to wheels crossing over if needed, also the shock is the same size...
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Endo 26er if you like to have fun ... they are very different animals.
    Fun is the desired effect

Now i have a Chili and know what its like to ride can you describe what the difference is between the Endo and Chili to help me get a feel for the Endo experience? Or is there a post where the similarities/differences have been explained well?

Also has anyone rode the Endo with 140 forks? Is it better with 150 or 160 forks?

Knollician

MC MasterShake
    Yeah, skip the 650b. If you said you came from an XC background and wanted to wear lycra and climb I'd say do it but if you want to throw the bike around and have fun go with the 26" endo. That's what I'm doing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Yeah, skip the 650b. If you said you came from an XC background and wanted to wear lycra and climb I'd say do it but if you want to throw the bike around and have fun go with the 26" endo. That's what I'm doing!
    Wait, you're getting an Endo too?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Wait, you're getting an Endo too?
    Who isn't?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Turner, Knolly, or a Stumpjumper (my favorites).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Also has anyone rode the Endo with 140 forks? Is it better with 150 or 160 forks?[/QUOTE]

I started with a zero stack headset and a 140 Fox fork and thought it felt like a fork with travel adjust and stuck in the lowered position. I have since gone to a Revelation 150 with external cup and it feels perfect now. I don't have the numbers but the A to C on these forks is very close so I think the biggest difference came from the external cup.

Also have to agree with tiSS'er, Calhoun, and others that the Endo is the perfect compliment to the Chilly. My chilly has a marz 55 and db air so there is an obvious difference between the two for sure!

mtbr member
    Id pick none of those. Too much overlap. If you truly want something for 'mellow' or 'marathon' days, then a 29er should be on your list. Ive never ridden one either, but I certainly wouldnt cross it off my list because I believed 'it wasnt me'.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Well 650b with smaller volume tyres will have the same traction as a 26inch bike with high volumne tyres...they are almost the same, hardly be able to tell the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Something like a Blur TRc, Mojo SL, Covert Carbon, Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon, or Yeti ASR-5 would fit the bill if you decide to go 26" (in addition to the Endo, of course).
    I have a TRc for my light-riding day when I don't need my Chilly. I thought when all this 650b euphoria hit me I would get one as well (I did want it). But when I converted TRc to 650b I found it as versatile as it can be. The bb with 650b is as tall (or short) as the Bronson at 13.6", and I can still go back to 26 as a low slung trail ripper with 13.1" bb. Indeed the travel is only 125mm (or 120mm with 650b shimming) but it's fit for me.
    The TRc is another Chameleon. Well maybe until the 650b Endo turn up
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    frenchcr, apart from the 650b Endo my shortlist would included the Liteville 301. In medium, large and xl you can run it in 26 in or 650b. Also, Nicolai AC 650b with the option of a Pinion gearbox would make a great bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast