mtbr member

Shock mount play question

Anyone else have play in the top or bottom of their shock mount? I've got less than 1mm of play that I can barely see, but I can feel it when I'm off the bike, and lift it by the seat. Just a slight wiggle. Might not be a big deal, but it irritates me that it isn't nice and tight.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe some of those RWC needle bearing kits would fix it?
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    What shock and hardware are you running, and how new is the hardware?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    It's like brand new. Maybe 8 rides on it. You've seen it in person.

mtbr member
    Oh right, I was thinking the other one with the Vivid. Hmmmm, not sure about this one. You're 100% sure its in the shock hardware?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Yes. My V-Tach had the same problem, but it has a bazillion miles on it, so the bolt was actually worn down where the shock spacer rubbed on it.

Maybe the bolts aren't tight enough, making the shock rotate on the bolts, rather than the eyelet rotating on the bushing.

mtbr member
    that orange is very tasty looking Big B, congrats.

sounds typical of duff bushings, or, bolts not right size for the bushings (or vice versa).
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    My older generation Endo had this problem. My culprit was the 4x4 linkage bolts. I ended up snugging and loctiting them all haven't had an issue since. YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Anyone else have play in the top or bottom of their shock mount? I've got less than 1mm of play that I can barely see, but I can feel it when I'm off the bike, and lift it by the seat. Just a slight wiggle. Might not be a big deal, but it irritates me that it isn't nice and tight.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe some of those RWC needle bearing kits would fix it?
    I had similar play on the bottom of the shock mount while on slack mode. Not alot of miles on the Chili. Didnt want to fiddle with it so I switched over to steep mode and play went away. I havent had a reason to run the slack mode lately but when I do I'll check for play. I also ran the RWC bearings on my Delirium and the bottom of the shock had some play so I went with regular Fox hardware on the bottom and RWC on top and it was all good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had the same problem on my 2013 Chilcotin CCDB air. Noticeable play at the bottom shock mount when lifting up the bike. The play would go away when I really cranked on the lower shock bolt (well above the torque spec ). I put a thin spacer between the lower shock bushing and the inside of the frame and the play is now gone when the bolt is at the specified torque. This was in slack mode btw.

Just roll it......
    I was having that a while ago on my bottom bolt and it turned out I wasn't cranking it down hard enough. This was a RP23 and I don't use a torque wrench, so I was going easy on it initially. I snugged it down and haven't had any issues since (still without a torque wrench).

EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've seen it on a couple different CCDB air's, but my CCDB coil and RP23 are fine.

mtbr member
    I torqued the two shock mount bolts to spec (10 Nm, 88 in-lbs) and it seemed to fix the problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i had this on my dt,,, but it was actually a worn bushing on the ccdb, it was like 4 years old though,,,,

wasnt there somthing about this a while back on the earlier 2013 frames, somthing about the bolts being o. somthing of a mm to long, and needing to be filed down.

mtbr member
    That was a different issue with the horseshoe link. My new frame didn't have that issue. All pivots, bearings and bushings are solid.

I think I just didn't have the right torque on the shock mount bolts, and they got loose over time. Plus I sweat a decent amount, and it all drips on the shock helping to lube those areas. I need to get a doo-rag or something.

Like your DT, my V-Tach did it, but the bushing and bolt were worn from years of use. I replace both, and I'm proud to say my '04 V-tach (with original bearings) is solid as a rock. No play anywhere. Damn I love that bike.

mtbr member
    Glad you got it sorted!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i replace thouse shock mounts on my chil (had the same problem) so far so good...
    till the next time ....
    as i understand this is a generic problem with the db mainly the air types.....