Thread: Shock Decisions

Knolly Rider
    Sep 2009

Shock Decisions

Hi All,

Looking for input to help me make a solid shock choice for my Delirium. I am looking to either get an Elka Stage 5 or DHX 4.0/5.0 and have either one modified by Avalanche. I do mostly trail riding with a couple trips for park riding each year. Your input is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had a stage 5 on my santacruz butcher it was amazing shock i only used it as my whistler bike both trail and park..
    It was a real nice plush shock.. with minimal pedak bob.. i would get one again.

Our kid had a ccdb coil on his delerium t .. he rated that. I been using the ccdb on my ns soda. And can honestly say it is one of the best shocks i ever used..

On my chilli i got a ccdb air all i can say is wow i was blown away by this shock it is just like the coil so plush. And a really nice supple feel to it.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman_diver View Post
    Hi All,

Looking for input to help me make a solid shock choice for my Delirium. I am looking to either get an Elka Stage 5 or DHX 4.0/5.0 and have either one modified by Avalanche. I do mostly trail riding with a couple trips for park riding each year. Your input is greatly appreciated.
    I would call Craig at Avalanche before you buy anything. Depending on your intended use, you may be better off with the DHX line, or the Van line of Fox shocks. Each will provide different ride results. I can't offer any assistance on the Elka Stage 5.

Craig will talk your ear off, and you can be assured that you are getting the best option available. Keep us posted.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knolly Rider
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I would call Craig at Avalanche before you buy anything. Depending on your intended use, you may be better off with the DHX line, or the Van line of Fox shocks. Each will provide different ride results. I can't offer any assistance on the Elka Stage 5.

Craig will talk your ear off, and you can be assured that you are getting the best option available. Keep us posted.
    That is what he suggested. Just having a hard time finding an inexpensive shock with the dimmensions required for the Delirium. Seems most of the shocks for sale are 8.75x2.75 and 9x3

mtbr member
    I just put an Elka on my Delirium, previously had an RP23 on it. I can't really comment on the Elka yet as I haven't really ridden it much. Additionally, I got it second hand, so the tune may not be 100%.

I have a trail bike for climb-heavy rides, so I mostly just ride the Delirium up fireroads, little bit of shuttling, bike park (Whistler) less than ten days a year. If I was doing mostly trail riding or a lot of climbing I would have gone with an air shock.

If you bump the thread in a few weeks I can tell you how I like it, but since this is the first coil shock I've ever owned my feelings on it may not be that useful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman_diver View Post
    That is what he suggested. Just having a hard time finding an inexpensive shock with the dimmensions required for the Delirium. Seems most of the shocks for sale are 8.75x2.75 and 9x3

Were abouts you based.
    I took my stage 5 off the butcher and still have it..
    Only did 7 weeks of riding (in whistler) on it
    And the first 2 week trip was a easy one as i had just recovered from a broken colker bone
    I pretty dam sure it the same size shock as the delerium..

Or i have the ccdb that came off our kids dt.

I put it on my soda just before our whistler trip. Had it serviced at tf tuned only had 5 days use then i got my demo and did not use the soda..
    I just sold the soda.
    I took the db off it...