mtbr member

Seatpost play on Delirium

I inherited a Thompson Elite post yesterday. When I put it in the seat tube it was pretty loose from the normal tightness of the qr. I tightened it up a little but it was still moving in there.

My question is has anyone had issues with these posts? The size is 31.6, but it's quite a bit smaller than my Joplin 4 and Holzfeller posts.

I haven't tightened it much because I haven't been out on it yet, but is there a point where I should say no mas to tightening the quick release?

thanks

mtbr member
    I tend to use the grease designed for carbon fiber bikes such that the seatpost doesn't slide. The grease is gritty. This works well as it keeps the seat post quiet and doesn't require tons of torque.

I haven't had any issues with the seat tube on my Delirium. I tend only to use a seat dropper as oppose to adjusting the saddle height with quick release.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm riding a Delirium, and using a Thompson Elite post. I haven't had any play, but then again I'm using a Chromag QR clamp. Those things clamp beautifully, and are still easy to flip the lever and go.

I was using a generic CRC clamp prior, and I could never get it to clamp tight enough, without being it impossible to open the level with my bare hands.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I have a salsa clamp so leverage isn't an issue. I should be able to open and close it without problems even if I tighten it.

What I don't want is to put excessive stress on the seat tube, especially because I know that I could probably get too much leverage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a couple Thomson posts ( the ones w/ oval bore), well used. They've definitely lost a bit of girth @ the clamp. If I clamp it on a fresh part of the post I can definitely tell a difference