Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

rockshox revelation question.

im gonna ask on here as i have always found you guys to be a very friendly and knowlegable bunch,
    this is for a potential endorphin build before i start.
    what are the rockshox revelation fork like, ive read the reviews that say they are a nice plush fork. what are the 32mm stanchions like, do they flex easily and do the fork blow their travel easy and bottom out.
    the potential bike would be mainly used as a whistler xc bike, so will hit pretty gnarly black/doubble black xc stuff, and some cruisey stuff like lost lake ect. would these kind of trails be to much for a rev. if so then what other fork would you guys recomend. thanks in advance ian.

%$#$*!
    I don't have any experience with a revelation but have had several 32mm fox, marzocchi, and rockshox forks. I've been up to whistler a couple of times and know what you talk about when you say whistler xc. I personally would feel more comfortable on a lowered 150mm lyrik which coincidentally what I have set up now on a new endorphin. I'm using a ZS lower cup and it feels great. Doesn't feel like overkill on the new endorphin imho.
    Now you could get away for sure with a 32mm fork there, as I've seen many riders ripping up whistler and surrounding trails on hardtails and short travel forks. It depends on your personal preferences, skill level, etc. I generally err on the side of more fork when riding around whistler. If you're staying away from the gnarly stuff and mainly just riding epic long trails, then a 32mm would probably suit you fine.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    I'd be all over the new Pike for the Endorphin, or the Fox 34 (but I prefer RS). Way lighter than the Lyrik, and burlier than the Rev. Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I'd be all over the new Pike for the Endorphin, or the Fox 34 (but I prefer RS). Way lighter than the Lyrik, and burlier than the Rev. Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike
    +1 for the new RS Pike.

I am running a Revelation on my Endo and thinks its a great fork. I have my Endo set up on the light side. If I was building up a burl Endo I would be looking at the pike 150.

Have you thought about building up a lighter Chilcoltin? The Chili with the Pike 160 would be pretty sweet as well.

Knollician
    The 2013 Revelation I have is a great XC fork. It is super supple, but it does blow through it's travel if the oil levels are not spot on. I replaced the fluid and measured my levels very carefully and the fork ramps rather nicely. My biggest complaint would be the brake dive, even with the LSC dialed way up. Overall, I would highly recommend it, but as mentioned, the new Pike is probably going to be a money fork for the Endo.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Hi Ian

Firstly the Rev is a great fork, i like them alot. But id never put one on an Endo as im a firm believer that its best as a 140 fork.

Im thinking about an Endo too but waiting for the 650b.

If i was to buy the current model i'd get the 2013 Marz 55 CR which.. will take the hits, spikes less than a Rev and is more supportive mid stroke than a Fox 34, half the price of a Pike or a Float, only 2.2kg, fit and forget. The stock spacer drops the fork from 170mm to 150mm, its a DIY job, so the fork would be good for both the Endo (at 150mm) and the Chili (at 170mm)

The CR 'Dynamic Bleed Cartridge' is very good and they are dropping the RC3 cartridge on the DH line in favour of an adapted version of the CR:

An Exclusive First Look at Marzocchi's Brand New DH Fork and Shock - Taipei Show - Pinkbike

You could save lots of money over the other forks, and aswell as XC, you'd also be able to take it to the bike park Then you could spend the savings on light/tough wheels and light cassette to claw back the 300g penalty on the cheap but awesome forks.

Im a firm believer of your better to slightly overdo it when it comes to forks, rather than under do it. Under doing it is so regrettable at times and can also be an woefully expensive mistake.

Else, if the weight is too much (i.e. there is no way you could lose 300g from your person either), then my money would go on the Pike, as ive never liked the feel of any FOX forks which have less than 36mm stantions and from what you said suspect the revs 'might' not be enough for you.
    Last edited by cfrench; 04-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: rockshox revelation question.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post

Im thinking about an Endo too but waiting for the 650b.
    Hmmm, tell me more...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne View Post
    Hmmm, tell me more...
    Its been confirmed for later this year and it might be carbon. I personally hope there is an Alu version as our trails are a bit harsh for carbon and im not fussed about weight.

Nothing else has been confirmed that i know of. Anybody got any more info on this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Its been confirmed for later this year and it might be carbon. I personally hope there is an Alu version as our trails are a bit harsh for carbon and im not fussed about weight.

Nothing else has been confirmed that i know of. Anybody got any more info on this?
    kev. aka dustybottoms on here would be the man to ask, or our great leader the god that is mr buckley himself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for all the replies guys.
    so are the marz 55cr anygood then. not really many reviews about them. im tempted by them, but am kind of once bitten twice shy. we were unlucky enugh to have purchased some 08 55ata a few years back. after nothing but problems and 3 rebuilds later, in the bin they went with me vowing never to touch another marz product again.

what about the xfusion stuff, vengeance hlr. anyone have experiance with these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    so are the marz 55cr anygood then. not really many reviews about them. im tempted by them, but am kind of once bitten twice shy. we were unlucky enugh to have purchased some 08 55ata a few years back. after nothing but problems and 3 rebuilds later, in the bin they went with me vowing never to touch another marz product again.

Marz had 2 bad years 08, and much worse 09. They rectified all problems in 2010, introduced a 'very generous warranty' and are now going from strength to strength. I honestly dont think you'll ever see a repeat of the bad spell Marz went through. They were hit hard by everyone back then and they've learned their lesson.

The 2013 Marz stuff is great. The 55 CR is the best value fork on the market. Period.

Ive heard lots of praise for XFusion in the Uk and there are many large bike manufacturers who believe in them too. They are really good value for money. If you want/need the 'out and out best', spend more.

Id buy Marz over XFusion anyday though. IMO, 'the best made forks' out there are BOS, then Marz, then FOX, then the others like XFusion and Rockshox come afterwards.

You need to do some demos!

mtbr member
    this is what im talking about, first round of the superenduro in italy...with 2014 zocchi prototypes everywhere:

Superenduro PRO 1, Sestri Levante, Practice and Prologue - Pinkbike

Knollician

I'm with ya one this one. However, much like Rockshox, I doubt Marzocchi can be down forever. A changing of the guard might just be what they needed. I do find it strange that they are abandoning the coil on their AM forks. Typically Marzocchi air forks have not been great. I did have the old school 66SL which wasn't bad though. I am interested in the new Marzocchi stuff, and would like to see some more info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah im a huge bos fan myself. currently run ndee on my old dt, soon to be podium. and have a deville on the chromag stylus. i would love to and am seriously considering a deville for the endo, but as i am kind of in the process of building up 2 bikes am trying to keep it to a budget.
    they only thing that puts me off bos though it aint much of a problem for us in the uk now, is the lack of support and bos'es attitude towrds aftersales. should that be lack of aftersales. and if a bos fork goes wrong when im out in whistler then im screwed as there is no support at all for bos out there. ( though there is Vorsprung Suspension he said he could service them and repair depending on what was needed)

how are them marz cr are they just cheap **** or do they feel/perform ok.

mtbr member
    Speak to UK bike store. They are a few doors along from from the UK Marz distributor. The mechanic at this store has been riding Knolly DH bikes for years and bought his girl an Endorphin no so long ago. He knows how Knolly and Marz mix and will explain the CR better over the telephone than i can in text.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Speak to UK bike store. They are a few doors along from from the UK Marz distributor. The mechanic at this store has been riding Knolly DH bikes for years and bought his girl an Endorphin no so long ago. He knows how Knolly and Marz mix and will explain the CR better over the telephone than i can in text.
    ok thanks for that.
    lol lol lol. uk bike store. i kind of dont like them, i fell out with them when i built up my dt back in 09. they sold me a dodgy magura brake, and totally fooooked me off when i enquired about sending it back. they werent intrested at all. so i havent really used them since.

mtbr member
    ok thanks for that.
    lol lol lol. uk bike store. i kind of dont like them, i fell out with them when i built up my dt back in 09. they sold me a dodgy magura brake, and totally fooooked me off when i enquired about sending it back. they werent intrested at all. so i havent really used them since.
    I had the same type of problem with them a whille back too, and gave them laldy down the phone for pissing me right off. But i got what i wanted in the end.
    They seem to have moved on and were great last time i spoke with them. They get the best prices from Marz and you can see this on their website.
    Its the young guy (in his twenties) that your best to talk to (dont bother with the older guy or the woman), but their ?son? (cant remember his name), is really good, races regional dh, has been a knolly fan for years and is a knowledgeable/no bullshit guy to talk to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I had the same type of problem with them a whille back too, and gave them laldy down the phone for pissing me right off. But i got what i wanted in the end.
    They seem to have moved on and were great last time i spoke with them. They get the best prices from Marz and you can see this on their website.
    Its the young guy (in his twenties) that your best to talk to (dont bother with the older guy or the woman), but their ?son? (cant remember his name), is really good, races regional dh, has been a knolly fan for years and is a knowledgeable/no bullshit guy to talk to.
    ok...
    yeah the main shitter when it happened to me i had built the dt up for whistler may09, never tested the bike as it was only built up a few weeks before. just rode it in the street to index the gears and semi bed in the brakes. not properly.
    1st day in whistler we out riding did a few trails then cycled up cadenwood to take big timber. a few hundred metres in my rear brake is on the bars, fluid pissing out, they had sold me a duff brake. i had to walk down the trail.
    got back to the challet and emailed them they fobbed me off saying my issue was with magura not them, left me high and dry on holiday. i had to buy a new rear brake so i could continue riding.
    luckily for me ryan at summit took the faulty brake and warrantied it for me even though i hadnt purchased it from him. he sent it to orange in vancouver and they replaced the faulty lever/mastercylinder. free of charge. now to me that is service. not like them pricks at uk suckstore

mtbr member
    that was really good of ryan at summit, funny how magura is german, i.e. closer to cstore than the guys in bc. that is pathetic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    that was really good of ryan at summit, funny how magura is german, i.e. closer to cstore than the guys in bc. that is pathetic.
    yeah i was mega impressed, and have massive respect for ryan now. thats why summit is one of the most favoured shops in whistler. them and fanatyk both super friendly and helpfull. it was fantyk who introduced me to and got me riding my dt.

mtbr member
    cross posting from the Pike thread:

So for anyone who's interested, a Rockshox rep just told me the AtC of the new Pike, 150mm 26" version, is expected to be 532mm. He said "expected to be" since it's not actually out yet.

But the Endo's geo is 533mm (including a headset), and with the Pike only coming in a tapered steer tube flavor, you could be slacking it out a bit much. A typical external lower cup is about 14 or 15mm I think, so that'd be throwing the headtube angle at just over 66'...just food for thought.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for all the info/advice guys...
    not sure if i have done the correct thing, but i just pulled the trigger on a bos deville 160mm taperd, am hoping this will work well with the endo.

mtbr member
    i just pulled the trigger on a bos deville 160mm taperd.
    bang goes that budget you mentioned
    can they be adjusted for height? im wondering if 160s can go to 150?

Knollician
    For those still interested in the Revelation, please note RS is releasing a new damper called DIG. It is an adjustable HSC/LSC with Rapid rebound. Basically a Lyrik JR. Nice!

SOC13: RockShox Intoduces XLoc Full Sprint Dual Lockout, Dig Valve, 27.5 Revelation, SID & more

mtbr member
    Interesting.....
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast