Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

rockguardz frame protector

rockguardz carbonfibre frame protector, available for knolly endo chilli podium

first of all i want to say, i have no afilliation with this company other than being a customer, we seen the product they made and liked the look of them, so enquired about them for our knolly frames as they werent listed on the website at the time, so we went down to their premesis with the frames so he could take mouldings to get these guardz into production for the current range of knollies, ( 2013 endo chilli podium)
    these are made from carbon fibre, and are custom moulded to fit the frames, they are easily removeable as they are tighly moulded to the frame not stuck on with any type of adhesive, and bein made from carbon they are very light.
    Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

mtbr member

Re: rockguardz frame protector

I have one on my Giant Anthem X29er, because I'm running a Hans Dampf up front and it tosses stones like a Pro. Mine came from somewhere in China, and took nearly a month to arrive. It looks great though. I followed their instructions for placing it in boiling water for a few minutes to make it more pliable when putting it on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog View Post
    I have one on my Giant Anthem X29er, because I'm running a Hans Dampf up front and it tosses stones like a Pro. Mine came from somewhere in China, and took nearly a month to arrive. It looks great though. I followed their instructions for placing it in boiling water for a few minutes to make it more pliable when putting it on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    these are handmade in the uk, will ship streight away depending on stock / availability,

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been looking for something like this! When will they be available for purchase?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just a question, does the rocks thrown up actually dent the downtube? Has anyone had that happen?

I understand that people put this on to protect paintwork but i've got the raw frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    I've been looking for something like this! When will they be available for purchase?
    We went down a few week ago to get the moulds done they made made the first 3 last week last wed which he sent to us ....
    I emailed him a few pics the guarz on the bikes yesterday so they should be going up on their site anytime ,..
    Drop ian a email , he will sort you out...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Just a question, does the rocks thrown up actually dent the downtube? Has anyone had that happen?

I understand that people put this on to protect paintwork but i've got the raw frame.
    Not to sure about denting the frame I guess it could happen,

I know after speeking to ian he came up with idea for these after buying a expensive carbon frame so he made one for his frame to protect it and loads of people showed interest so he started making them for other frames,,

My chillie is raw I was glad I had one on today when a big rock smacked my down tube,.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

rockguardz frame protector

Tom, I've dented a down tube before. Not on a Knolly but its most definitely possible. If a ding/dent would break your heart, get some protection! I use .3mm thick clear "helicopter tape" on any surface that could get a rock thrown up at it and also as a chain protector. Never had an issue since I started using it I bought some uber quality 2" wide stuff that I can trim to whatever shape I want. It was something like $70 for the roll but it'll last many, many frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Tom, I've dented a down tube before. Not on a Knolly but its most definitely possible. If a ding/dent would break your heart, get some protection! I use .3mm thick clear "helicopter tape" on any surface that could get a rock thrown up at it and also as a chain protector. Never had an issue since I started using it I bought some uber quality 2" wide stuff that I can trim to whatever shape I want. It was something like $70 for the roll but it'll last many, many frames.
    Hmmm thanks. Might do the same then. I do know that when rocks fly up and hit your shins they bloody hurt!

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011

Yes rocks can dent the down tube! (I have the ano black)
    My Chilli has a good sized dent there now.
    I put on a strip of tire there to protect it from happening again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

i would have thought that given how strong these are that they would distribute the force of a impact a bit more evenly across thesurface so hopfully it wouldnt dent the frame. they are made from carbonfibre and another substance, cant remember what its called, but it's the stuff that they put into the wheel arches on rally cars. so i think it should be able to prevent rocks stiking and damaging the frame.
    Last edited by delirian; 06-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Just to be clear, I didn't have a rockguardz, or any other protection when I dented my down tube a few years ago. The rockguardz actually looks like a neat product and should protect against any dent/ding damage.

I have one concern with it; does dirt and small rocks get in behind it and scuff the frame after a while? It seems like those old car bras that were popular for a while that would keep you from getting rock chips but would instead sand off the paint of your car:/ Any idea?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There are very nice. Put a piece of inner tube under it and there won't be a problem with pointy impacts.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    They look awesome, but over $55 to buy and get one shipped to US. Too much for my wallet, no thanks to the decline of the US dollar.

I'm using the 3M mastic tape off Ebay that someone here recommended. Very happy with it, as it also protects against tailgate/Dakine pad scratches. $12 a roll which is enough for half a dozen bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    When colour matching your bash to the frame just isn't bling enough... wrap your downtube in carbon. I'm kidding a little, but they sure do look nice. I opted for the Lizard Skins leather padding for $13.
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Just to be clear, I didn't have a rockguardz, or any other protection when I dented my down tube a few years ago. The rockguardz actually looks like a neat product and should protect against any dent/ding damage.

I have one concern with it; does dirt and small rocks get in behind it and scuff the frame after a while? It seems like those old car bras that were popular for a while that would keep you from getting rock chips but would instead sand off the paint of your car:/ Any idea?
    not to sure yet matey,,, the weathers turned **** in whistler and we rode the park today, so they got pepperd with sandy mud, will give it a few more days then remove it and see.
    also went in to try the mudguardz, they wrok really really well. and we got lots of intrest from other bikers,

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    They look awesome, but over $55 to buy and get one shipped to US. Too much for my wallet, no thanks to the decline of the US dollar.

I'm using the 3M mastic tape off Ebay that someone here recommended. Very happy with it, as it also protects against tailgate/Dakine pad scratches. $12 a roll which is enough for half a dozen bikes.
    big b,,, i can see your point mate,,, they would work out expensive for you guys on this side of the pond, what you should do is look at organising a group buy, ian is a real cool guy, im sure he would sort out a discount for a group buy, that way you would save on shipping to,

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh its definitely possible to put a dent in the downtube of a Knolly, check out my previous Podium V1
    rockguardz frame protector-imag0835.jpg

also @delirian, do you happen to have Ian's email address? And you know hes ok with shipping to the US?

~Kyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    Oh its definitely possible to put a dent in the downtube of a Knolly, check out my previous Podium V1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0835.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	809635

also @delirian, do you happen to have Ian's email address? And you know hes ok with shipping to the US?

~Kyle
    yes mate,,, he defo ships world wide mate,,, he sells through ebay o if that helps you, his contact details can be found on his website,
    extreme.bykesportz@btinternet.com
    tell him the twins have put you onto him... also check out the mudguardz, we have used them for the last 2 days and they are pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here is a quick vid we threw togeather before my back injury put me out for the rest of the trip,,, it is to show how quick and easy the mudguardz are to fit, and how effective they are when conditions turn crappy,

mtbr member
    that trail looked so so flowy.. nice!

i need to get a rockgaurd ordered too, heard so many big stones clanking the undertube last weekend, a dents or ding is inevitable for me without one
    Last edited by cfrench; 07-04-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    that trail looked so so flowy.. nice!

i need to get a rockgaurd ordered too, heard so many big stones clanking the undertube last weekend, a dents or ding is inevitable for me without one
    thats a crafty edit of a few trails in the bike park, bline, into wednesday night delight, and heart of darkness, they di flow very well, like all trails in whistler, both in and out of the park.
    give ian an email he should have the rockguardz good to go for your chilli, tell him the twins put you on to him,

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    rockguardz now available for all 3 knollies see wbsite,,

Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. Ordered one . I have been waiting for the availability for knolly

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    no love for delirium?!?!?
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast