Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rock and Roll Chili!

I'm not going to lie. The past couple of weeks the new bike love has been wearing off a bit. Two or three sniggling little issues with the suspension set-up, a vague almost flexy feel in the rear end at times (I think this is directly related to the suspension set up), an incessant pinging/clicking noise from my fork or headset, skinny tires, a few hiccups with the dropper post, and a few minor shifting issues have left me kinda bummed with the new ride.

Don't get me wrong, there's no problems with the frame, I'm just going through some teething issues with the set up and build that have been a bit frustrating.

But Saturday afternoon after waiting an hour for a buddy who was supposed to call about 3:30 to go riding, and with the weather deteriorating quickly after a beautiful morning, I gave up on him and drove up to a favorite trail to ride on my own.

I'd fixed the seat post problem (fingers crossed) and had made a few more adjustments on CCDB air, set the rear tire up tubeless (and correspondingly lowered the tire pressure a bit), moved the shock back into the slack mode, and adjusted the saddle about 1/4 - 1/2" forward and dropped the nose slightly.

Not sure if it was all these little adjustments or the shreading videos I'd been watching the night before that made the difference, but I had one screaming good ride.

After about a 4 mile climb from Murry Summit campground up to a high point the trail dives down about 1800' feet over the next 7-8 miles clear back to town with several drops, booters, gaps, and ladder stunts on the way to keep things fun.

The upper part of this trail is steep enough to keep things fast without pedalling much, but the lower part where the stunts are is kinda shallow and requires some hammering to keep the speed up...... except when you have a nice brisk southerly tail wind to push you along like today.

I was able to stay just ahead of the storm but really benefitted from the wind assist and absolutely rocked that descent. Hit all the jumps, shredded all the berms, freaking flew down some rock strewn sections at warp speed..... and the Chili felt GREAT!

Not all the problems are solved (fork/headset still clicks/pings), but I really needed a ride like that to restore my new bike love.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    I love it when I get rides like that.

sounds like you need to find a better mechanic...
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

Totally agree! I heard his mechanic put his headset bearings in upside down.

Seriously though: KRob does your headset have play in it? (Your description sounds like a loose headset or an improperly assembled headset.)
    Last edited by TSC; 05-06-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knollician
    I think it would take more than 2 weeks to dial in the CCDBA. Took me forever to finally get it where I wanted the coil, which has one less variable to consider. Get ride of those dinky tires as well...

Fox fork...there's your creak.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Krob.... funny as one of the other later DT hold outs that switched to the Chili this year I have had some of the same thoughts about the rear end stiffness and a few growing pains as well. The Chili rear end is stiff...I don't question that but still feel the DT was just stiffer (and 4 lbs heavier in the frame only category). I loved the DT and its the closest bike I have ever had to sellers remorse. I also love the Chili but feel it has had to grow on me coming from the DT. Nothing bad... just different tool... and better for my realistic current riding. The DT was a great bike..so is the Chili.

I also had some creaks that got traced to a bad seat post and saddle....both replaced. I had my first creak free ride ever on the Chili Friday (been riding the Chili since late January) and must say it did wonders for my confidence in the bike. The Chili is a blast but when you hear creaks and moans every pedal stroke it makes one wonder.

No real point other than I hear where you are coming from. Glad you had a great ride.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Is the headset a cc angle set? I have witnessed those popping on bikes and has been an issue with some...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

Totally agree! I heard his mechanic put his headset bearings in upside down.

Seriously though: KRob does your headset have play in it? (Your description sounds like a loose headset or an improperly assembled headset.)
    Ha, ha. Yes, my mechanic sucks. But I'm pretty sure the headset is put together correctly now and there's no play in it.... but I'll double check that. Thanks.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Is the headset a cc angle set? I have witnessed those popping on bikes and has been an issue with some...
    Good catch I totally forgot about that. I've heard the same thing. KRob has the CC 40. Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    That was my first thought, knew someone who had the crown/stantions replaced on warranty from fox for this, its a well known problem and has beeen localised to a specific batch of forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I love it when I get rides like that.

I know huh? Makes you feel like freaking Ross Schnell or Jerome Clementz or something for a second. Probably could be riding a Huffy on days like those and still feel like you're super man.

And yes.... maybe if I had a professional mechanic like those guys I could get all these little issues sorted. Ha ha.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'm pretty sure the headset is put together correctly now and there's no play in it.... but I'll double check that. Thanks.
    It may sound crazy but sometimes pulling things apart; cleaning if necessary; and putting them together again works wonders. When you've got your headset apart twist the bearings and check for noticeable catch points.

Give CC a call if the "reset method" just described doesn't work or works for a ride or two and then the bad behavior returns.

mtbr member
    It may sound crazy but sometimes pulling things apart; cleaning if necessary; and putting them together again works wonders.
    agreed, especially when bikes / components are new. after six or seven rides its good to give the bike a proper once over, this usually gets rid of most niggles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I think it would take more than 2 weeks to dial in the CCDBA. Took me forever to finally get it where I wanted the coil, which has one less variable to consider. Get ride of those dinky tires as well...
    Been dialing for nigh on two months now (though admittedly not on every ride). I read Noel's detailed description of how to do it on page 5 or 6 in the CCDBA set up thread but haven't taken the time to really do it that way yet. Guess it's time to spend some quality ride time with shock fiddling/testing, etc.

It's actually pretty good now after these last adjustments (especially on fast rocky stuff) but I'm sure it could be better.

The Chunky Monkies arrived Saturday just haven't got them mounted yet. Maybe tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    That was my first thought, knew someone who had the crown/stantions replaced on warranty from fox for this, its a well known problem and has beeen localised to a specific batch of forks.
    Yeah, this has been my suspicion as well. I've also read a few reports of creaky crowns.... but I'm still wondering about something internal. I an get it to do it even just pushing down on the fork up and down while in the garage. Almost like a spring binding sound..... 'cept there's no coil spring in there.

I really don't want to send it off to Fox. Ugh.

mtbr member
    but I'm still wondering about something internal. I can get it to do it even just pushing down on the fork up and down while in the garage. Almost like a spring binding sound..... 'cept there's no coil spring in there.
    Is this sound happening halfway through the travel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    The definition of a great ride does not include stopping every 200 yds to take pictures (Sorry).....and unfortunately my professional photographer lives in North Van and wasn't able to make this ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Is this sound happening halfway through the travel?
    About a third to half way through the travel, yes. Although it pings/clicks even when just riding along on flat terrain with very little fork movement.

TSC
    Buehliever
    I an get it to do it even just pushing down on the fork up and down while in the garage. Almost like a spring binding sound..... 'cept there's no coil spring in there.
    Too make sure: when you're pushing "up and down while in the garage" are you putting the front tire against an object or do you have the brakes on to keep it in place? If you have the brakes on, then it's a good chance you are hearing the brakes. (I know that from personal experience. )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    No, not an angle set. Just the basic 40 series headset. Like TSC mentioned, I did run the bottom bearing upside down for a ride before getting that correct. I wonder if that caused any damage to the race/cup. I'll have to pull it and clean and regrease and check for any damage.

mtbr member
    Too make sure: when you're pushing "up and down while in the garage" are you putting the front tire against an object or do you have the brakes on to keep it in place? If you have the brakes on, then it's a good chance you are hearing the brakes. (I know that from personal experience. )
    Can't remember. I'll have to check that, but that makes sense. And to be clear, that sound was a bit different than the clicking/pinging I hear while riding. Not sure if they're related or not.

mtbr member
    Yeah, creaky fork. Fox is pretty quick at turning them around and their new fix seems to be holding up nicely. I am that guy that keeps inducing the creak. I was riding with a Fox employee the other day on the trail. I mentioned how I really like the Fox Float and then mentioned how I tend to test new creak solutions. Then he put it together that I am the guy that they discuss. Small world.

I understand the frustration. However, there is no safety issue so send it when you have down time. Again I really like the Fox Float as I can tune it to my desire. Now that the fork has been quiet - it has been so nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Yeah, creaky fork. Fox is pretty quick at turning them around and their new fix seems to be holding up nicely. I am that guy that keeps inducing the creak. I was riding with a Fox employee the other day on the trail. I mentioned how I really like the Fox Float and then mentioned how I tend to test new creak solutions. Then he put it together that I am the guy that they discuss. Small world.

I understand the frustration. However, there is no safety issue so send it when you have down time. Again I really like the Fox Float as I can tune it to my desire. Now that the fork has been quiet - it has been so nice.
    I donno, my local UPS store knows me now. They see the box and know exactly what it is, and where to send it. I am guessing the tech's at Fox are thinking: This guy again...

I think the engineers at fox should use a Delirium or a Chilcotin to test all of their forks for creaking issues.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I think the engineers at fox should use a Delirium or a Chilcotin to test all of their forks for creaking issues.
    Makes great sense to use bikes that have really slack head angles for testing, as they will induce the most non-axial forces. Knolly bikes fit the bill. Good idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm still one of the DT holdouts. Although the DT is complete overkill for the majority of the trails I ride, it still puts a massive smile on my face, and I know that extra travel is good for botched drops, doubles, etc. I think I will go for the endorphin whenever I get a new bike and keep the DT.

I have to say that the DT is the quietest bike I have ever ridden. My previous bike was a Kona Stinky which every couple of months had a creak, squeak, crackle, etc. that would take a good effort to find the cause. The DT has been quiet from day one!!! It's amazing how you can sneak up on people on the trail, even when it's rough!

edit - I was going to add it sounds like it could be you headset? I recently had my fork serviced and noticed an unusual click/creak coming from the front... turned out the headset had become a tiny bit loose. Tightened it up and the noise went away
    Last edited by Boyd and fiends; 05-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Yeah, creaky fork. Fox is pretty quick at turning them around and their new fix seems to be holding up nicely. I am that guy that keeps inducing the creak.
    I understand the frustration. However, there is no safety issue so send it when you have down. Now that the fork has been quiet - it has been so nice.
    Hope you're wrong. I tried TSC's suggestion from above tonight cleaning and reassembling and retightening the headset and it got rid of the in-the-garage tick/ping. When I loosened the stem bolts an tried tightening the bearing preload bolt the headset made the exact sound so I knew I was on to something.

So I went ahead and took it all apart and did the cleaning, relubing, and reassembly.
    Must've loosened up a bit and let a little dirt in over the last month.

I'll report back after a few rides. Hope that fixes it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast