Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

RIP Delirium T... Welcome Chilcotin!

A few months ago, my beloved Delirium T was consumed along with my house by the Black Forest Fire. I originally ordered it back in April '06 after falling in love with Noel's prototype of the DT, and I've been loving mine ever since. I enjoyed countless shuttle runs, numerous resort days, and even 40,000 feet of descending at the Red Bull Final Descent on it.

It was set up with the heaviest components, but they were also super durable. The Hammerschmidt, Code brakes, and hub mounted Saint derailluer never let me down despite a total weight of ~43 pounds.

I found this little bit of the DT while sifting.

The Code brakes, Saint Derailluer, and RF Diabolous handlebars all survived the blaze, but most of the Delirium T melted into a pool of aluminum.

The loss of our house has been tragic, but my wife and I are focusing on the silver linings to help move forward. One of the best ones is insurance replacement. One of the many calls I made during those first few days was to Noel to see if there was any way I could get one of the remaining orange Chilcotins. He and Kevin were able to put one aside for me and send it to Salvagetti Bikes in Denver so they could build it up for me. Thanks guys!!!

Here is the most beautiful orange bike I've ever seen:

Build:
    CCDB Air
    RS Lyrik Solo Air 170mm RC2 DH
    Avid XO Trail brakes
    Chris King Mango hubs laced to ENVE AM rims (not pictured)
    Thomson post and stem
    RaceFace Atlas bars
    Shimano XT shifting bits
    SRAM X9 38x24 crankset
    MRP chainguide
    Kona Wah-Wah pedals
    Continental Trail King 2.4 rear tire
    Maxxis Minion 2.5" front tire
    WTB Rocket saddle
    ODI Rouge grips

Salvagetti ordered all the parts for me, but the rims proved very difficult to obtain (are companies starting to drop 26" rims???). Since things were taking so long, they graciously built up my hubs with some Velocity Blunt rims, and that added up to a 33.6 pound build. Building up a set of wheels on loaner rims, and then tearing those down again and lacing them up with ENVEs is serious customer service!!! Once they were able to build up the ENVEs, the weight dropped to 33.0 pounds--10 pounds lighter than my Delirium T!

I was able to get in 5 solid rides with the Velocity Blunt rims which was enough to make me really appreciate the difference that the ENVEs make. All I can say is that the hype about them is very real. They made a very noticable difference when cornering, and I really feel able to control the bike when I throw it around. All in all, I am totally stoked how the bike turned out!!! Thanks to everyone at Knolly, RockShox/Avid, and Salvagetti!!!

Here are some riding shots from last weekend at Keystone. The Chilcotin totally encourages my line choices in the rock gardens!

It really likes to carve too!

mtbr member
    Glad to see you're back up and running, Kristian. Congrats on the new Chili. It is a remarkable bike.

Surprised you're not lighter than 33 lbs with that build. Mine is 33.01 lbs with EX500 DT swiss rims and a Lev dropper post on Park Digital scale.
    Edit: that was with the original Minion 2.35 single ply tires which I think are around 750 gr IIRC. I've since switched to ~850 gr Chunky Monkies so ad 200 grams to that...
    Anyway, very sweet looking ride.

Coming to Moab in October to ride with Tim and do Outerbike. LMK if you want to hook up.

mtbr member
    congratulations. the orange is fantastic.
    very nice build

mtbr member
    Sorry to about the fire and loss...

You go from a tank to Chilcotin with Enve wheels - it must feel like a rocket! Let us know how they hold up. Great looking build!

TSC
    Buehliever
    Super sorry for your loss. I used to live in CS and I remember the Black Forest area being pristine (very few dead trees); so I was both shock and horrified at it went up like it did.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Motion activated
    I love the pic of the burnt dropout/disc brake, followed by the new Knolly rising from the ashes like a phoenix.

I like orange bikes too
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great to see you back on a Knolly bud, sorry for your losses. Too bad we couldn't make it happen up in CO!
    Next time.

gotta get up to get down
    holy **** 33 lbs? ME LIKEY!!!!!!!!!!! must...downhill...with kman...asap...

mtbr member
    Sorry for your loss. I lived in Gleneagle on the edge of the black Forest and know how beautiful the homes and surroundings are (were) there. I love the CO flag on the fork. Nice ride. I hope you are able to recoup your physical losses. the emotional ones will take time.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the fire. And yeah, I agree Kristian, the chili encourages you to take the rough line just for the fun of it , its a belter on the down hills.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.