Yebo Numzaan

Riding or dreaming about riding?

Its been raining like crazy here outside Seattle for the whole month of December. Thanks Giving was the last descent weather we had. 15+ inches of snow at elevation this past weekend and 16 inches predicted before Friday. Also set to break December rainfall records. Been doing a ton of trail maintenance and running out of things to do.

Down at lower elevations (local 'winter' trails top out around 1500) and will likely have some snow at the top but once in the trees we are good to go....so it is seldom I cant get a ride in

I am jealous of Krob and others down South at times...I would love to feel the warmth of the sun on my back while riding my bike...Lying on a warm rock in Sedona...chilling before a tech descent...

Who's riding and whose dreaming of riding?
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Like you, I'm dreaming of riding - been fighting a respiratory bug for almost 2 months now in addition to our PNW rain.

Will likely take it low and slow next time I'm out and will bring a portable saw/machete to clear some fallen stuff on the trails.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Got 4.5 weeks left (of six) with my wrist in a cast after fracturing my radius. I'm dreaming of riding, and hoping that it will be healed well enough to ride in Feb when I have a riding holiday booked!

Braaap
    Beautiful 60 degree riding on Monday and a foot of snow on Tuesday. No fat bike, no skis...I need to rethink this.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Unit 91
    Rode on Sunday and it was 70 degrees here in MD. A little bit of rain here and there, but the temps seem to be staying mild...so far.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, and it's summer here in NZ, weather has been good, trails are hard and fast (which is a contributing factor to the broken wrist!). I should have been about to start a three week break over xmas/new year, guess I'll just have to take my holidays later in the year...

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Night ride in 90 min here on Vancouver Island. Higher trails have snow but we still have tons of fun available. Planning a Utah trip in early spring though💕
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Warmest, driest December on record ever in the north east. Crap for the ski hills in VT, NH, MA and ME but good for mtn bikers. Alas work and health issues have limited my riding this year but I hope to ride a lot around Christmas / New Year.

mtbr member
    Snow at Thanksgiving closed things down so I got the skis ready. Rain since then. Hoping the ground freezes to get a few rides in before the snow arrives again.. I love riding on hard frozen dirt. The ski hills are trying to make snow during the week and then open for the weekends, not sure anyone is really in the mode though, strange December so far.

mtbr member
    Don't worry, you're not missing much. Everything around here is under snow and probably will be for a while still.

Riding or dreaming about riding?-12-17.jpg
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    I'm dreaming. Got a brand new Endo frame begging me to build it up.
    btw this is my 2nd Endo.

mtbr member
    While I am able to get south to Vegas or St. George often in the winter (in fact I'll be in Hurricane over New Year weekend if anyone wants to join up), I'm just dreaming about riding now. Snow on the ground and more in the forecast. Morning temps below zero F. Broken wheel.

Soon though.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I am dreaming of something orange with long legs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I am dreaming of something orange with long legs
    Dude! Does that mean you have found your way back to us in the Knolly forum?

Only dreaming of riding here in soggy Oregon.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Riding is great here in Pisgah/Asheville NC. Some rain rolling in next week but 70's at least!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You know its summer over here in Scotland because the rains warm, haha. This time of year it sits around 5C and its wet and windy but at least we can still get out. We only get snow halting things once every 4 years or so, were lucky that way.

The 5 DH trails here are running fast just now but sniper roots are buried under the fall leaves (which take a couple of months to disappear due to damp conditions) so you've got to be on edge...

Enduro trails here are lethal slippy but offer some of the best winter training you can get anywhere in the world at this time of year. Theres around 35 of them to choose from within a 5 mile radius, 9 of them were specifically built for the EWS.

mtbr member
    Dreaming of riding... 3 weeks post grade 2-3 AC separation >.< weather is warm-ish... but, I can't enjoy it how I would like i.e. hitting the gnar =(

-----------------------------------------------------------
    No skool... like old skool!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    May 2004

ATX conditions are primo

Cold is settling in a bit (was over 80* last week, will top out at 64* today). Trails are in good condition thanks to a couple inches of rain last week and well-saturated ground thanks to 54" of rain to date, which is about twice as much as average... We had about 20" in October alone. Very few trails here can actually hold up to it well and most don't see much use on the really wet months.
    Creek in the background of this pic is usually dry from June-October...

Juno dog is happy to get out, I don't run her in the summer.Riding or dreaming about riding?-20151217_100926.jpg
    Riding or dreaming about riding?-20151217_095739.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    another balmy day in the PNW. Ride at ten. If we don't ride in the rain, we don't ride.
    Climate Aberdeen - Washington and Weather averages Aberdeen

BC
    mtbr member
    Austin weather fantastic for riding. 50's to 60's temp. Ground is saturated from all the rain, but it's pretty much all rock,so no mud, but beware the "shiny" rocks. They are like patches of ice.

mtbr member
    I believe rain is mother natures way of saying its time to go shopping and upgrade something....the more the rain the bigger the upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    I believe rain is mother natures way of saying its time to go shopping and upgrade something....the more the rain the bigger the upgrade
    Done!
    Riding or dreaming about riding?-20151211_154631.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Riding. Wet season...+32-35C° daily showers

mtbr member
    Riding has been great here in the Boston area. 50 to 60 degree days in December is unheard of. I'm actually jones-ing to get some skiing in at this point. You can keep the rain, but send us some of your snow please!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Yebo Numzaan
    4 inches of snow on the ground at my house (at 400' elevation). Been absolutely hammered at higher elevations....There are a couple spots i can probably still get to...but its gonna be messy (and cold) (reminder: find flask / fill with bourbon).

The winter solstice is behind us now...regardless of the weather, I always feel positive once we are heading in the right direction (so...screw you S hemisphere dudes...it will be winter down there in no time)
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    The winter solstice is behind us now...regardless of the weather, I always feel positive once we are heading in the right direction (so...screw you S hemisphere dudes...it will be winter down there in no time)
    Ha, the way the seasons are going down here we should have at least another 5 months of fast dry trails, the winter rain seems to be getting later and later, and then they just get fast and slippery/sketchy!

I enjoyed my summer-time visit to Seattle and the PNW but you can keep the snow...

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I enjoyed my summer-time visit to Seattle and the PNW but you can keep the snow...
    Snow on the ground is pretty rare around these parts and generally doesn't last long. This is only the second or third time since moving here in 2011 that I have seen snow on the ground at my house.

I think we just complain about the weather here to keep people away
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    My daughter and I started a winter solstice tradition a few years back of walking the property and collecting pine branches. Then with twine we put a rudimentary Sasquatch together and stand him upright, light it on fire, watching the snow melt around it as it quickly burns to ashes, then we go skiing. Yesterday we set it ablaze and watched it get snuffed out by all the rain, even a 1/2 canister of MAPS torch couldn't make that wooly creature do any more than become a tangle of sticks with charred needles.

Local club is asking fatbikes to ride and settle the trails and ruts, so my wife told me I could go get a fatty for my xmas present. I told her Knolly doesn't make one, so declined. The local ski hill has 2 runs open of the shi##&*$! snow I have ever seen, almost like a half set concrete milk shake. Good news is all my paperwork for year end taxes is basically done, normally that doesn't happen until the spring equinox. Finished xmas shopping 2 weeks ago and presents wrapped, that's a first as well.

mtbr member
    These will help the dreaming along when you can't ride.

Start here and follow the links where they take you. Not all knolly bikes but some really good riding going on in there.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Yebo Numzaan

Just out for a bike ride

Raining at the car...12inches at the top and the trails were rad. Just 100' back into the trees there was only an inch of snow on the ground. Had a awesome time under and over steering and getting sideways.

Riding or dreaming about riding?-23310225073_cbe6e96d47_k.jpg
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    No worries about snow or rain here in Australia! Just about to head out for a pedal. This missus loves the Endorphin 😊