mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Review: cane creek db air vs coil

I've been riding the air for the past year and had a chance to try a friends titanium coil.

I have to say that the difference is HUGE!

I thought that the air was very good, which it is but when it comes to downhill rock gardens, repetitive high speed bumps and even slow speed ledges, the coil is much better.

When going down over high speed bumps the air would be good but wouldn't track the ground as well. It would feel vague and I have to concentrate more on what the rear is doing. I've tried adjusting the air many times over the year. The coil just tracks the ground that much better. Like being smoothly glued to the ground where I don't have to think about what the rear is doing.

At slow speed when rolling over small ledges, the air would hook up and require me to pedal slightly harder. When it did get over the ledge the rear would slightly unweight and sometimes if pedalling up over successive ledges it would make me use an inconsistent pedalling technique or at worse lose traction. The coil on the other hand simply flows over these ledges like they weren't there. Allows me to use a more consistent pedalling technique.

All in all the air is good but the coil is just that much better.

mtbr member
    Good stuff thanks!

I am in the midst of trying the DB air on the Delirium and I am finding that I like it better, but I need more trail time. I have the Podium for DH duties and the Delirium does everything else, so setup/need plays a factor.

The thing about the Cane Creek shocks is that can drive you mental, because you always feel the grass is greener with a few more clicks and turns. Now that I have 2 - air and coil - yikes I am going to go batty. I want to narrow it to one and sell the other. I have been spending time dialing the DB air and I think I am close, but then I start to think...hmmm maybe I should try this on the coil.

I really like the Fox Float for Delirium for most of my riding. I find the DB air is better match to the Float than DB coil, but not a ton.
    I kind of like the DB air because of its platform. Pedaling it around - it is tad harsher. However, I love railing corners with the DB air. I don't know what it is but the bike sticks and flies out of them.

I still need more time for a proper evaluation. The boys and I are heading to Moab this - woohooo! so I will get my rock, ledge, drop test on. I wasn't planning on bringing the coil, but now I will throw it in the bike bag as well for comparison.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mmmmmhmmmmm.....that's why the air is the back-up shock.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Was this comparison done on the same frame (or at least suspension design and travel), with the same settings on the shock and with the same size, model and brand of tire at the same pressure?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone View Post
    Was this comparison done on the same frame (or at least suspension design and travel), with the same settings on the shock and with the same size, model and brand of tire at the same pressure?
    Yes knolly chilcotin frame with the settings advised on the cane creek website. Tires and pressures and all else the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone View Post
    yep
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.