Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Retiring DT....endo, chilli, mojo? Want acceleration

I've read all the threads & still can't decide.

The DT has been the most fun bike I've owned. In the past year it's gone from a 44lb beast to a 33/34 lb do it all. I love the planted feel but want more acceleration & pop out of corners. I'm not doing drops like I used to but still want to point & shoot in rough rooted eroded trails. I run an air shock on DT & love it. I have a lyric 170mm fork I plan on using but could drop it to 160mm or perhaps run an angle set on the endo.

If i am being honest, the endo is probably all I need but am worried I'm going to blow through the travel & give up too much small bump compliance. (Hence the mojo hd thought). Conversely, I'm worried the Chili is going to lack the added pop I want & feel slightly sluggish like the DT even in DT light mode.

I have an 8" DH bike (Santa Cruz driver 8) & 4.5" xc bike (intense spider 2). All this matters is I would go light on a chili build or medium heavy on an endo build (160mm fork, dropper post, haven wheels).

I wish a demo was an option but I'm in Houston with no Knolly dealers & I don't think Dusty makes it this far south. Frankly, nobody comes here for the riding.

Considering I am looking for more acceleration but a still planted feel... Any guidance?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    you said it with your fork option, the chili is for you. the new endo is not for big forks and is not chili light, it is more comparable the the spider in your line up and with both of them, you'd have to much overlap for sure. the chili fits into your stable perfectly and i'd bet it would be your go to bike for almost anything you head out to ride, including wherever you use that driver.

mtbr member
    That is exactly what I was thinking with fork & spyder overlap.. I think I even saw a post by dusty that said pick your fork then your frame.

I use the D8 for lift trips only.

Anybody know the Chili weight with a float shock? I've heard 7lbs & read 8 lbs. not sure which?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i believe my medium painted frame with DB air was 8 pounds 3 ounces

mtbr member
    Thanks..that is about what I though but a little more than I was hoping.

At least my DT weighted 11.5 lbs new with roco air & headset... Anything will be lighter.

RideDirt
    My chilis has a new Lyric Air 170mm and the Fox Float on it air and the total weight of my bike came to 31 pounds. I could have gone lighter with a different wheelset if needed .. Whats cool about the Chili is it can take a 160mm fork up to 180mm so the diversity is there, i think with the Endo yea it might rip a little faster but 160mm fork is its limit..

As a rider you can always get better , faster, and skinnier if needed haha .. From the sounds of it , i think your best bet would be the chili since you have the full on DH bike and the XC bike ... I say pull the trigger on the chili and call it a day , you wont regret . The bike is active so you will have the pop you are looking for with the proper suspension dialed in of course .

ಠ_ಠ
    I'd say it's between the Mojo HD and Chilcotin. I remember a really good comparo between those two bikes on both the Ibis and Knolly boards. Check it out if you already haven't.

mtbr member
    My medium raw w/dbair was under 8lbs. Can't remember the exact weight though but I may have a pic somewhere I'll have a look.

Donkey Puncher
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr View Post
    I'd say it's between the Mojo HD and Chilcotin. I remember a really good comparo between those two bikes on both the Ibis and Knolly boards. Check it out if you already haven't.
    I owned a Mojo HD, then I got my Chili...turns out the chili owns the Mojo. Nuff said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanGor44 View Post
    I owned a Mojo HD, then I got my Chili...turns out the chili owns the Mojo. Nuff said.
    Well said.

Since I posted this on the Knolly board I'm leaning towards the Knolly. I love the DT and figure the chili will be the same but better! I've also never heard of somebody trading in a chili for a mojo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr View Post
    I've read pretty much all the threads. They always end in a tangent but the first page or two are pretty good. I've all but ruled out the mojo but have always like the look. The Knolly feel is a known for me that I like. No mojo hd's for me to test. (Seems competitive cyclist used to do mail order demos before the backcountry merger but no luck locally)

I rode today & other than pushing a little harder I really love the point & shoot feel. Plus I meet more people asking about the Knolly...I think I even have a few riding buddies because it stuck out & started a conversation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    My medium raw w/dbair was under 8lbs. Can't remember the exact weight though but I may have a pic somewhere I'll have a look.
    Good to know. The float should be even lighter. (Though I suspect I'll end up with a pushed monarch if they still make them.)

mtbr member
    i agree with vangor 100%. i also had a mojo hd and the chilcotin owns it in every way

Donkey Puncher
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    i agree with vangor 100%. i also had a mojo hd and the chilcotin owns it in every way
    ....Let me put it another way.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retiring DT....endo, chilli, mojo? Want acceleration-pwnership.jpg  

mtbr member
    haha. thats awesome

mtbr member
    I think that drives the point home!

Nice bike stand by the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    haha. thats awesome
    +2 funny stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ....Let me put it another way.....
    Well done, take it away sir!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm in Houston, you can ride my Chili. #problemsolved

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    I'm in Houston, you can ride my Chili. #problemsolved
    That's a surprise. I have never seen another Knolly locally.

I really apreciate the offer. What part of town are you in?

RideDirt
    See , besides the bikes being bad@ass , the owners are good people as well .. Super cool of B Gillespie to offer you to take a spin on his bike .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    That's a surprise. I have never seen another Knolly locally.

I really apreciate the offer. What part of town are you in?
    No worries, I like beer. Heights. Mine isn't a light build, so it's not as snappy as some of the carpet fibre clad air sprung builds on here.

mtbr member
    I don't know that I would go that far. Both the Mojo HD and the Chilcotin are exceptional bikes and I think the difference between the two really comes down to the terrain and usage than anything else.

If your trails are climb on a fireroad for 2,000ft of vertical and point the bike down on steep, rugged, and technical terrain, there is no question in my mind that the Chilcotin will be the right tool for the job. It is more planted than the Mojo HD and holds lines better. It is truly a gravity bike that can pedal to the top.

The Chilcotin is more playful, the suspension returns energy better than the HD (at least with a CCDB Air on the Chilcotin vs Float CTD and Vivd Air on the HD). On the climbs, the Chilcotin doesn't transfer as much power to the wheel as the HD and feels in general more sluggish. They both hold traction very well with maybe a slight edge to the Chilcotin (again, the comparison is biased because of different shocks) but the HD manages weight transfer under load better (that's really the strength of the DW link, in my opinion).

I recently spent a week riding in Sedona on a Mojo HD and was really impressed by how versatile this bike is. Even with a Fox 34 160mm CTD fork it felt at home on the steeper trails and it pedals really really well on loose ball-bearing style surfaces. I have been riding exclusively flat pedals this season because of ACL surgery last May and I did not get bumped off the pedals even in the nastiest pedaling conditions. If I couldn't make a climb, it's because the legs let out.

I am headed back to Sedona for more riding at the end of this week and am bringing the Chilcotin this time. It will be fun to have a direct comparison on the same trails. I expect to be hooting and hollering with reckless abandon down Tomahawk but suffer a bit more grinding up to the Hangover saddle.

One of the best days of the Sedona trip went like this: morning ride on the Hogs loop (exposed slickrock, steep punchy climbs, and technical moves on twisty downhills), mid-day ride was the outer loop loop in Dry Creek (Chuck Wagon/Mescal/Aerie/Western Civ/Lost Frontier) - 15 miles of fast and rolling desert singletrack, sweet cornering and fast and loose surfaces, followed by a quick transfer and mad rush up Schnebly Hill Rd (2 mile rutted out 1,000ft climb on jeep road) to meet a group ride on Hangover (steep climbs, lots of exposure, technical steep slickrock downhill, fast and loose DH). If I owned both a Chilcotin and an HD, for a day like that I would reach for the HD.

I live upstate NY and for my local trails, the Chilcotin is overkill but it is my travel bike and it has to feel at home riding in bike parks, in long above-treeline slogs, technical steep downhills, and everything in between.

Had I tested a Mojo HD before purchasing the Chilcotin it would have been a harder decision for me but ultimately, I would pick the Chilcotin again. This is because I also ride a Canfield Yelli Screamy that takes on the faster ride duty. If it had to be a one-bike stable, for me and on the trails I ride 80% of the time, the Mojo HD would serve me better. So as I said, it comes down to ride terrain and preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    String, check your pms. FYI, I don't check mine much, but incl my mobile number.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Where can you ride the DT in TX without it being 'too much' bike? I once saw a guy on a Transition Blindside on the trails in Cameron Park (Waco) & he was hiking it alot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast