Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Where can you ride the DT in TX without it being 'too much' bike? I once saw a guy on a Transition Blindside on the trails in Cameron Park (Waco) & he was hiking it alot.
    No where & any where!

Too much bike most places but still fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    No where & any where!

Too much bike most places but still fun.
    DT is just right for some ATX area trails...but then again, so is the chilcotin.

I'd have to go back and re-read the DT vs D ride comparisons, but I will say that my Chilcotin is faster than the D was up, much more efficient. Of course, many variables here, avy vs. cc suspension, lighter build, etc, but this bike does feel to accelerate faster and pump a bit easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    DT is just right for some ATX area trails...but then again, so is the chilcotin.

I'd have to go back and re-read the DT vs D ride comparisons, but I will say that my Chilcotin is faster than the D was up, much more efficient. Of course, many variables here, avy vs. cc suspension, lighter build, etc, but this bike does feel to accelerate faster and pump a bit easier.
    That was my thought of the Chili vs DT vs D. Still plush & stable but a bit quicker. Doesn't hurt that the chili looses a few pounds off the top.

MC MasterShake
    A 32 lb. Chilly is right up your alley. I pedaled my 1st new Endo this weekend in AZ and it's definitely on the XC/Trailbike side. Very fast and snappy but I would not put a 36 on it and expect it to be Chilly-lite. The Chilly is definitely snappier than the DT but I would not call it an overly snappy bike. It is more active than any other bike it's class that I've ridden. I have been able to add more snap to it with tuning the CCDBA but I always end up tuning it back.

The Mojo is a fine bike and lots of folks like it. A friend of mine has one and I've hopped on it a few times. Definitely a snappy pedaler. I'd say that it leans more towards a trailbike than they Chilly does. Personally, I don't like how it feels like the suspension always has the propedal turned way up. I also don't like:
    - No ISCG tabs
    - Coil and piggy back shocks can be an issue
    - Not a fan of the Maxle.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    A 32 lb. Chilly is right up your alley. I pedaled my 1st new Endo this weekend in AZ and it's definitely on the XC/Trailbike side. Very fast and snappy but I would not put a 36 on it and expect it to be Chilly-lite. The Chilly is definitely snappier than the DT but I would not call it an overly snappy bike. It is more active than any other bike it's class that I've ridden. I have been able to add more snap to it with tuning the CCDBA but I always end up tuning it back.

The Mojo is a fine bike and lots of folks like it. A friend of mine has one and I've hopped on it a few times. Definitely a snappy pedaler. I'd say that it leans more towards a trailbike than they Chilly does. Personally, I don't like how it feels like the suspension always has the propedal turned way up. I also don't like:
    - No ISCG tabs
    - Coil and piggy back shocks can be an issue
    - Not a fan of the Maxle.

Hope that helps.
    Definitely helps. Having two VPP bikes which I don't consider too far off base from the DW;they just aren't quite as plush as the Knolly when pedaling on choppy terrain. They are active when opened up...but the Knolly is better. I am sure I would like the mojo but think I will have more fun with the Chili. I can always build a Mojo SL next year if I want to go super light....of course Knolly will probably have a Endo light 27.5 carbon electric bike by then that will keep my interest!

I really think I can get a build close to 30lbs +/- a pound using most of my current parts. Running a 1x9 or 1x10 set up should give me all the pop I need. (I'm getting by with a 32T chainring and an 11x32 cassette on the DT...I will at least move to a 30T ring and either an 11x34 9spd or 11x36 10 spd. Plus I always have my 5" bike when I really want to go fast or up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Tell ya what, use the money to move, keep the DT
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Tell ya what, use the money to move, keep the DT
    I wish I could...Unfortunately my wife does not like the cold which rules out most cool mountain towns and my kids like their school. Plus work is here which pays for all the toys.

I thought about a vacation home but a Chili is cheaper than the monthly cost.

mtbr member
    I have a lead on a good deal on a new Chili. The best deal comes with a new Knolly tuned Rp23 instead of the CTD.

I'm going light so I am opting out of the CCDB Air. Is the Float CTD worth an upgrade. I am also considering with out a shock and getting a Pushed Rockshox Monarch if Push has any left. (I have a call into them but am guessing they are at lunch).

Thougths?

mtbr member
    get the DBair, the weight penalty is well worth the performance gain. And I am sure the penalty is negligible.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I really thought about the DB air but am worried about getting full travel and tend to be a set and forget type of user. Most of my shocks have been tuned by push and my thought process was to go with the RP23 ride it for a month or so to get the feel then send it too push.

RideDirt
    Trust me , I have the rp23 on my frame and I already got a coil shock comin in this week .. If your worried about weight then shed a couple pounds from your body not bike performance .. That being said at least get the DB air so it can handle everything you throw at it and perform great ... You'll be amazed at how much of a difference a shock can do .. I bet the DBair will feel better then a pushd whatever you get.

mtbr member
    The full travel issue has been resolved, the new air sleeve corrected that problem. The shock is also very friendly to us "set and forget" types.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2005
    2 more possibilities to potentially add??

New Norco Range Killer B and the new Banshee Rune. Norco is 650B only and the Rune converts between 26" and 650B by changing the rear dropouts. Rune has 3 position adjustable geometry with the flip chips in the back of the swingarm which alters the BB height and HA. Very slick and the new models use bearings now in all the suspension pivots.

I've ridden the Banshee Prime 29'er and the VPP KS Link is the real deal. Thought it was wonderful, active and plush. Both have very efficient pedaling characteristics/dynamics from the suspension linkage program charts I've looked at (and dare I say it here.....better than the Knolly but I'm aware that doesn't paint the entire picture so don't slam me for it). Links if you want to check it out.

650 size rocks BTW (I've been running it 2+ years) and the tire/fork/rim choices are there now and getting better monthly.

Test rode a beefy Mojo HD 160 recently (32.2lbs). Setup 1 x 10 with 32 ring was not for me but the bike was very fun, nice efficient pedaling and climbing and popped off things like no other bike I've ridden. Combo of the DW Link and the really short WB (44.6" on a large with 160 fork) probably the reason. Yes, very versatile bike and also 650 capable....see the theme here??
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    I really thought about 650B. I really wanted to try it out. However, I have a new set of 26" wheels and a fork less than a year old. Did not want to spend $2K extra to experiment.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help...Chili in Day Glow Yellow ordered! Should be here in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    So I had a chance to ride in Sedona on my Chili for a few days and have a direct comparison with the Mojo HD on the same trails. I was a bit surprised by the fact that in spite of the apparent efficiency of the Mojo HD, the Chilcotinwith a well tuned shock felt almost as good slogging up loose climbs. The Chilcotin felt quite a bit better in sections were traction was marginal (for once, I got to ride in Arizona in wet weather) and in fact I cleaned more of the Highline and High on the Hog climbs this time than I ever have, even with the wet conditions. Downhill it's not even a competition as the Chilcotin just dwarfs the Mojo HD. I carried more speed through sections that normally I tip-toe through and had just plain more fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2