Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...

    2nd year in a row that the family and I are ringing in the New Year in Sedona. Cooler temps greeted us this year; lows in the 20's and highs in the mid 40's. I was able to fit in a quick first day warm up ride on Llama and Little Horse. Overnight snow has delayed today's ride...

    Bell Rock from Little Horse...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-s1.jpg

    Sedona Red Rock...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-s2.jpg

    More Red Rock...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-s3.jpg

    Trust Knolly...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-s4.jpg

    My Chilcotin tracks true thru the Sedona chunk...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-s5.jpg

    Just a blur thru the high speed sections...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-s6.jpg

    Morning coffee deck view from Canyon Mesa...
    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-snow.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104
    So jealous! That's the way to spend the holidays.

    I would've guessed it would've been warmer there this time of year, though.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,875
    Sedona is awesome! Can't wait to be back.The weather will change soon enough and the dirt will be tacky and perfect. That's the beauty of the desert.

    You can find some of the pictures I brought back from my trip in mid December in the Passion forum.

    This is a Google earth view of one of the wildest trails I have ridden in Sedona, Tomahawk. Unfortunately it is slated for closure in the master plan in the works, together with many of the trails in the Damifino drainage (Killer Bee, Levitra, Damifino, Damifido, Brew Pub, etc). Hopefully this will change as they are incredibly well designed and built trails.


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    179
    Where is Sedona?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bionicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by eastshorebiker View Post
    Where is Sedona?
    Arizona

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    Sedona is awesome! Can't wait to be back.The weather will change soon enough and the dirt will be tacky and perfect. That's the beauty of the desert.

    You can find some of the pictures I brought back from my trip in mid December in the Passion forum.

    This is a Google earth view of one of the wildest trails I have ridden in Sedona, Tomahawk. Unfortunately it is slated for closure in the master plan in the works, together with many of the trails in the Damifino drainage (Killer Bee, Levitra, Damifino, Damifido, Brew Pub, etc). Hopefully this will change as they are incredibly well designed and built trails.

    What's the reason for closure? That looks like an amazing route!!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    What's the reason for closure? That looks like an amazing route!!
    It is an amazing route, steep and exposed most of the way down. The way I understand it, the reason for the planned closure and naturalization of the trails is because the forest service is going to designate Casner Canyon area a study area for the Arizona cypress. I don't know if the area will be open to cross country travel on foot or access restricted altogether. The good news is that this will not happen at least until late 2013.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    85

    yeah right...

    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    It is an amazing route, steep and exposed most of the way down. The way I understand it, the reason for the planned closure and naturalization of the trails is because the forest service is going to designate Casner Canyon area a study area for the Arizona cypress. I don't know if the area will be open to cross country travel on foot or access restricted altogether. The good news is that this will not happen at least until late 2013.
    So the forest circus is going to study trees in an area where there has historically been a lot of traffic. What I'd like to know more about are the spruce trees growing there from the rim all the way down to the creek. There are only a few very small spots in arizona where spruces grow. Casner Canyon is actually the next canyon up around the bend from the west side of Mitten Ridge where the trails are...

  9. #9
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,621
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd View Post
    So the forest circus is going to study trees in an area where there has historically been a lot of traffic. What I'd like to know more about are the spruce trees growing there from the rim all the way down to the creek. There are only a few very small spots in arizona where spruces grow. Casner Canyon is actually the next canyon up around the bend from the west side of Mitten Ridge where the trails are...
    Well, spruces generally grow in AZ anywhere above about 9,000' it seems, and they are in Flagstaff, so it would make sense that they survive in the cool canyons microclimates I suppose. From what I've read, the seeds being transported (wind, poop, trade) is the key factor, with some high altitude areas not getting any, and some getting them. In Prescott, you'll find firs anywhere above 6,500', although several local mountains have the name "spruce" in them. Evidently firs were mistaken for spruce by some of the first explorers out here. There were several varieties.

    Even cooler IMO, were the couple small patches of Aspens around Prescott. Sure, Aspens grow like crazy in Flagstaff above at least 7000', but I knew of a few micro-climate areas around Prescott back in the woods where they grew around 6500'. Same thing as the spruces in that they were back in very sheltered, moist, and relatively dark areas (even though they reached up for the sun).

    Bristlecones survive on the mountains in Flagstaff as well, which is impressive IMO.

    And yeah, the Forest Service has no idea what they are doing. They've ignored mountain bikes and not made any attempts to build any new trails/fix trails/improve trails/connect trails in Sedona, and then got all hurt-like when people start making relatively good user-built trails. Sedona was pretty boring before these trails, with outstanding views, but relatively few interesting trails. The scale of the riding in places like Moab and others was just not comparable, as there were rides like Porcupine Rim and others that were epic in more ways than just the views. Now Sedona has trails that are far better and it's hard to say there's any "equality",since it's still different, but the riding experience is many times better than it was 10 years ago. 10 years ago you rode up Bell Rock pathway (not trail) to some of the trails, went to Cathedral or Chicken Point, rode through some housing developments, or on some connecting roads, and there just wasn't that much variety. Now you got trails hugging the cliffs high up, interesting ways to utilize the terrain, and so on. The Forest Service (in Sedona) neglected the area for a long time. Even the regular system trails were falling apart and some were downright dangerous with erosion making them unridable and no fun. It wasn't the Forest Service that fixed these. They do seem to want to take credit though and be the ones to sanction the trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,311
    So glad I got a chance to ride Tomahawk while in Sedona. One of the best entrance filters of all time. Very cool trail. Hope it doesn't go away.

    Thanks for the pics TM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    552
    My friend and I did an ATV tour of Sedona, such an amazing place. I am jealous as all getout.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156

    New Year's Day in Sedona...

    Slim Shady, High Line (I walked a few sections) Baldwin Loop and Templeton on cool Sedona day. Trail conditions were mostly excellent although there were a few treacherous icy slickrock spots in the shaded areas.

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-ss1.jpg

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-ss2.jpg

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-ss3.jpg

    Too cold for an early ride... single digits overnight and still only 13F at 7:30. A lifetime ago in central PA, this would not have been a problem. Apparently the move to SoCal has wussafied me.

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-ss4.jpg

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    85

    you know what's really cool is that

    I can see myself riding a Chilcotin in Sedona sometime this new year..
    With parts from my 5 spot.

  14. #14
    IMBA south west
    Guest
    Jayem - I just sent you a PM, as your post contains several inaccurate statements that I could clarify. Thanks.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by IMBA south west View Post
    Jayem - I just sent you a PM, as your post contains several inaccurate statements that I could clarify. Thanks.
    Too long, so I didn't read, but I'm not surprised by your reaction .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss2.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	749967
    Wow! Highline got a brand new sign at the entrance and I assume the deadfall that "hid" the the beginning of the trail has been removed. Great to see it gain official recognition! Did you take any pictures of the new section below the notch?

  17. #17
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    It's AWESOME that highline has been adopted. I can't wait to ride it again and see the new reroute.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156
    According to the staff at Bike and Bean, Highline is now officially part of the Forest Service trail network in the Sedona area.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    85

    a bit of trading going on here

    Hiline adopted and the Hogs going bye bye. The Hogs are hands down the best trails within the city limits.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,000
    bummer, Hogs is a great trail.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  21. #21
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,621
    Quote Originally Posted by IMBA south west View Post
    Jayem - I just sent you a PM, as your post contains several inaccurate statements that I could clarify. Thanks.
    Thanks, that totally negates the point of the PM. Here's some evidence that supports my notes above: Sedona 12-20-12 RTCA Meeting Notes
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    bummer, Hogs is a great trail.
    Yes it is. I thought I read in one of TD's discourses that the Hogs network is still being considered for inclusion. Hope so.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156

    Thank you Sedona for another incredible week of riding...

    Back home to SoCal and work on Saturday after full week of riding and family fun in Sedona.

    Sorry, the GoPro batteries ran out before I got to the rerouted section. There is a FS sign indicating that the trail was changed 12/19/12. This new northern section of Highline is truly big bike, armor, full face, double diamond worthy. The trail is steep, loose, rocky and narrow with little margin for error. I would have preferred my coil sprung DT rather than the Chilcotin. Not that trail isn't Chilco capable... just not in my hands especially riding solo.

    Jim

    View approaching Cathedral Rock from Highline...

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-cathedral-rock.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156

    Rerouted Highline Notch...

    I found some short footage of the rerouted Highline before the GoPro battery died. Here are a couple of screen captures at the new Notch entrance. The first pic shows a small Forest Service sign announcing the 12/19/12 reroute with Double Black Diamond rating.

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-sm14.jpg

    The second pic is the initial drop in... very steep into a rocky chute. Unfortunately, this is where my cam turned off.

    Red Rock the New Year in Sedona...-sm17.jpg

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    I found some short footage of the rerouted Highline before the GoPro battery died. Here are a couple of screen captures at the new Notch entrance. The first pic shows a small Forest Service sign announcing the 12/19/12 reroute with Double Black Diamond rating.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM14.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	751044

    The second pic is the initial drop in... very steep into a rocky chute. Unfortunately, this is where my cam turned off.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM17.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	751045
    That's the original drop in into the notch; that section didn't change. If I understand correctly, the reroute is for the lower switchbacks and it stays rider left of the original line.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Yes it is. I thought I read in one of TD's discourses that the Hogs network is still being considered for inclusion. Hope so.
    I hope you're right. There is one feature in there I need some redemption on. Not sure of the proper name, but it is a left hand wall ride to drop.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  27. #27
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,621
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Yes it is. I thought I read in one of TD's discourses that the Hogs network is still being considered for inclusion. Hope so.
    It's a bit hard to work out the real story in TDs posts for the recent adoptions, and the article I linked provides a little information on the "status" of the FS in Sedona, but evidently the FS person Jennifer is dating Plumber-Phil or Bob or something, who is the guy that built all the trails, such as Highline, Hangover, Hogs, etc. That's why many of the trails are getting adopted. He also gets the "free pass" and not arrested like TD because he's dating the FS, but he also wasn't posting everywhere images of the trailwork like TD was either. TD was simply making them rideable, sustainable, fixing serious erosion problems, etc. The same stuff the FS supposedly wants to do. Rather than go after the guy that they knew full well built the trails, they went after TD because they needed a fall-guy and the other guy was Jennifer's BF. I'd be pissed too. If it works like any other government agency, he should be able to file a complaint with the FS that has to be addressed, but depending on how biased the organization is, it still may not go anywhere. The Plumber-guy is likely his friend anyways, so it would most likely burn bridges to try and pursue. Not that he should at this point, I think it's best to drop it and move on. Mr. IMBA that has been in AZ for 12 months doesn't know much about the reason the trails in Sedona exist, but I'm thankful they exist in any case, and I'm glad they are being adopted, even if it's not for the reasons the IMBA thinks.

    There's been a lot of drama in Sedona over the years. The riding these days is spectacular though, best it's been in 20+ years, or ever for that matter. It's not for the reasons that IMBA thinks, and it's because mountain bikers have forced the issue on the FS. The FS has not tried to appeal to or move forward with the mountain bike community in Sedona, until now. Whether we get to see the kind of development from the last 5 years (by riders) continue, remains to be seen, but I doubt riders will give up their exceptional trails now that they know and have ridden them. It seems to take exceptional and popular illegal trails to "push" the FS to any kind of action. Regular channels would take 10+ years to get a trail developed and built.

    On second thought, don't go to the AZ board and read any posts concerning Sedona. Just accept the condensed and "between the lines" version here. When I read the ones on the AZ board I want to scream and gouge my eyes out
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-07-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,523

    Tl;dr!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's a bit hard to work out the real story in TDs posts for the recent adoptions, and the article I linked provides a little information on the "status" of the FS in Sedona, but evidently the FS person Jennifer is dating Plumber-Phil or Bob or something, who is the guy that built all the trails, such as Highline, Hangover, Hogs, etc. That's why many of the trails are getting adopted. He also gets the "free pass" and not arrested like TD because he's dating the FS, but he also wasn't posting everywhere images of the trailwork like TD was either. TD was simply making them rideable, sustainable, fixing serious erosion problems, etc. The same stuff the FS supposedly wants to do. Rather than go after the guy that they knew full well built the trails, they went after TD because they needed a fall-guy and the other guy was Jennifer's BF. I'd be pissed too. If it works like any other government agency, he should be able to file a complaint with the FS that has to be addressed, but depending on how biased the organization is, it still may not go anywhere. The Plumber-guy is likely his friend anyways, so it would most likely burn bridges to try and pursue. Not that he should at this point, I think it's best to drop it and move on. Mr. IMBA that has been in AZ for 12 months doesn't know much about the reason the trails in Sedona exist, but I'm thankful they exist in any case, and I'm glad they are being adopted, even if it's not for the reasons the IMBA thinks.

    There's been a lot of drama in Sedona over the years. The riding these days is spectacular though, best it's been in 20+ years, or ever for that matter. It's not for the reasons that IMBA thinks, and it's because mountain bikers have forced the issue on the FS. The FS has not tried to appeal to or move forward with the mountain bike community in Sedona, until now. Whether we get to see the kind of development from the last 5 years (by riders) continue, remains to be seen, but I doubt riders will give up their exceptional trails now that they know and have ridden them. It seems to take exceptional and popular illegal trails to "push" the FS to any kind of action. Regular channels would take 10+ years to get a trail developed and built.

    On second thought, don't go to the AZ board and read any posts concerning Sedona. Just accept the condensed and "between the lines" version here. When I read the ones on the AZ board I want to scream and gouge my eyes out
    I thought you were above libel!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    85
    Unfortunately a lot of the info that TD disseminates is wrong and purely divisive. The latest drama with him has nothing to do with Phil. He was kicked out of the FS and now he's trying to take people down long after the fact. The only reason he gets any attention is because he's such a loud mouth.
    Also compared to the builders of some of latest and greatest trails in Sedona his work is very shoddy at best.
    Don't go to the AZ boards because the info is mostly innuendo fabricated by John and now you!
    Last edited by jodd; 01-07-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: misspelled word

  30. #30
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,621
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of the info that TD disseminates is wrong and purely divisive. The latest drama with him has nothing to do with Phil. He was kicked out of the FS
    Um, TD was not in the FS. Where'd you get that? He was banned from the forest for a year for the "illegal" trailwork. It seems to be revenge due to the double-standard at this point, but I agree it should be dropped. I also don't get where you say his work was shoddy, I personally rode some of his fixes right after they were made. It was generally great work, amazing that an old guy like that moved rocks so huge and packed it all in so seamlessly. You sure you rode it?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  31. #31
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    I thought you were above libel!
    Just above quoting entire long posts to repost the entire bulk of the text.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's a bit hard to work out the real story in TDs posts for the recent adoptions, and the article I linked provides a little information on the "status" of the FS in Sedona, but evidently the FS person Jennifer is dating Plumber-Phil or Bob or something, who is the guy that built all the trails, such as Highline, Hangover, Hogs, etc. That's why many of the trails are getting adopted. He also gets the "free pass" and not arrested like TD because he's dating the FS, but he also wasn't posting everywhere images of the trailwork like TD was either. TD was simply making them rideable, sustainable, fixing serious erosion problems, etc. The same stuff the FS supposedly wants to do. Rather than go after the guy that they knew full well built the trails, they went after TD because they needed a fall-guy and the other guy was Jennifer's BF. I'd be pissed too. If it works like any other government agency, he should be able to file a complaint with the FS that has to be addressed, but depending on how biased the organization is, it still may not go anywhere. The Plumber-guy is likely his friend anyways, so it would most likely burn bridges to try and pursue. Not that he should at this point, I think it's best to drop it and move on. Mr. IMBA that has been in AZ for 12 months doesn't know much about the reason the trails in Sedona exist, but I'm thankful they exist in any case, and I'm glad they are being adopted, even if it's not for the reasons the IMBA thinks.

    There's been a lot of drama in Sedona over the years. The riding these days is spectacular though, best it's been in 20+ years, or ever for that matter. It's not for the reasons that IMBA thinks, and it's because mountain bikers have forced the issue on the FS. The FS has not tried to appeal to or move forward with the mountain bike community in Sedona, until now. Whether we get to see the kind of development from the last 5 years (by riders) continue, remains to be seen, but I doubt riders will give up their exceptional trails now that they know and have ridden them. It seems to take exceptional and popular illegal trails to "push" the FS to any kind of action. Regular channels would take 10+ years to get a trail developed and built.

    On second thought, don't go to the AZ board and read any posts concerning Sedona. Just accept the condensed and "between the lines" version here. When I read the ones on the AZ board I want to scream and gouge my eyes out
    Thanks for the update jm. I hope the "in" that the trail builder has with the FS keeps being favorable and that the trail gets adopted.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •