Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RideDirt

Recommend me a crankset please ! :) on the chili

So im REALLY trying to do a 1x10 setup once my frame comes in . I was thinking a 2x10 setup but i never really used the granny gear on my other AM bike and i was using a 36T chainring . I feel you guys would be more helpful here then another part of the forums

So i was thinking a 32T chainring but what crankarms should i get that has the 73mmBB width ? My budget on the crankarms would be $500. Im really thinking about maybe some carbon crankarms or should i stay away from that?

Again , this bike will be used for AM riding , i will try some lift assisted days on the NOT so rocky stuff but im sure by then ill prob be buying a downhill bike on the side .

Im really trying to make this build my last AM bike that will be strong and not too heavy so i dont mind splurging a bit , i got plenty of time anyways till my right arm gets moving again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Running the Race Face SixC carbon cranks on both my Delium and Chilcotin. Work great. 73mm width is pretty much the standard and probably in excess of 99% of MTB cranks are that width. The only notable exception is 83mm cranks which are typically on DH and some FR bikes.

RideDirt
    Thank you ! I was looking at those just wasnt sure .. Can i run it with any chainring or does it have to be strictly from raceface as well ?

mtbr member
    You can run it with other chainrings if desired.

Knollician
    I much prefer the spindle interface on Shimano cranks. They are easier to get on and off. I thought I read somewhere that RaceFace was changing their interface though, but don't have any experience with it.

XT cranks are the ticket for me. Super dependable at a good weight.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    XO's with a MRP bling ring and the race face end caps. Been running them all summer and love how stiff they are.
    http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/bling-ring/

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    XO's with a MRP bling ring and the race face end caps. Been running them all summer and love how stiff they are.
    Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MRP Bling Ring Chainrings
    Seems like the XOs have some nice low weight to them . I was planning on running an E-Thirteen chainring , i been using their stuff for a while so i love them . Hmm , this might be the winner for me here .

mtbr member
    Just FYI, my buddy just snapped one or two of his chainring tabs off his carbon RF cranks. And yes, he used the RF spacer/washer things under the bolts and they were torqued correctly.

If you want light, XTR's are only a hair heavier than the RF. Sicklines say the RF are 492g, and the new XTR are 526g.

I'm not ashamed to say carbon still freaks me out on a mountain bike. But then again, I run Saint cranks on my Chili....
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Just FYI, my buddy just snapped one or two of his chainring tabs off his carbon RF cranks. And yes, he used the RF spacer/washer things under the bolts and they were torqued correctly.

If you want light, XTR's are only a hair heavier than the RF. Sicklines say the RF are 492g, and the new XTR are 526g.

I'm not ashamed to say carbon still freaks me out on a mountain bike. But then again, I run Saint cranks on my Chili....
    Good to know , i will keep that in mind . Is there some type of warranty that will cover him for just " snapping " his tabs? Im sure its going to be a PITA process ...

Ha ! I wouldnt mind Saint cranks but they seem like they might be too heavy , i cant find out what their weight is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Good to know , i will keep that in mind . Is there some type of warranty that will cover him for just " snapping " his tabs? Im sure its going to be a PITA process ...

Ha ! I wouldnt mind Saint cranks but they seem like they might be too heavy , i cant find out what their weight is
    I'm not sure, but he's got them going through the RA process.

Some weights, crank arms only, no rings, bolts, all 175mm:

XT m780: 616g
    SLX m665 (version with steel pedal inserts): 640g
    Saint 810: 759

At a minimum for me I'd run SLX for steel pedal inserts and the beefed up spindle over the SLX M660 version. But I like the Saints and honestly feel they are stiffer. Maybe it's psychological, I've no idea. But also I'm 215 geared up and tend to push taller gears, and don't spin a ton.

Plus the Saints are black, so they have to be better right? LOL

Edit: one more thing, the beefier the crank gets, the more spindle interface you get where the non-drive side crank arm slides on the spindle. Just estimating for instance, I'd say the XTR has about 1/2" of interface, the XT/SLX about 3/4" and the Saint almost 1.0".
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    XT + Salsa chain ring --> more $ for lift tickets and beer.

RideDirt
    Ok sounds good.. Yea im 200lbs myself and not the smoothest rider too lol ... Im going to keep my options open now i guess .. I think i just have a " carbon " kick going on lol , but ill have to really think about this..

Yes lift tickets ! I had my season pass until i fractured some bones :/ now my season is done .

ಠ_ಠ

Slx m667

Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Ok sounds good.. Yea im 200lbs myself and not the smoothest rider too lol ... Im going to keep my options open now i guess .. I think i just have a " carbon " kick going on lol , but ill have to really think about this..

Yes lift tickets ! I had my season pass until i fractured some bones :/ now my season is done .
    These look killer
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano FC-M675 SLX Double Crankset - 10 Speed

Delirious Tuck
    RF SixC - Been fine running on 2 years now including some lift serve, many pedal smacks in New England rock/granite garden riding. I'm heavier than most.

XTR - Stiff, probably as light in a 1x as the SixC with booties on. Have Two sets of new XTR (1 3x and 1 2x) Happy as a clam as well. Have these on my Chili, no issues with 5 days of shore and whistler riding.

Can't comment on X0.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    You can run it with other chainrings if desired.
    Maybe... I was not able to run a Shimano chainring on my new RF Atlas cranks. The Shimano had more material surrounding the bolt holes than the a standard chainring and it wouldn't fit on the RF middle ring slot.

For what it's worth, the 2012 RF interface was super easy--you just keep torquing until you bottom the bolt out (I used an old handlebar over my socket wrench for more leverage). The one time I needed to take the crank off on the trail was difficult, but I got it off with my multi-allen key tool so it is possible (although I had to re-tighten it when I got back home).

I like the RF interface much more than the Shimano which tended to loosen up on me once in a while.

Delirious Tuck
    I didn't know Shimano made backward compatible chainrings... I think the OP was asking about non-RF in the sense non-Shimano can be difficult with XTR level so can you run an e13/MRT/Homebrew/etc chainring...

RideDirt
    Ya I would like to use my own chainring for a 1x10 setup etc since I don't really want to use a 2x10 setup .

mtbr member
    This setup has worked out great!

Photobucket

RideDirt
    Thanks rockdude!!! That looks exactly like something I want .. How many teeth is that ring on there ?

mtbr member
    That's a 32 tooth and 11-36 cassette.
    It's a little work on the long climbs but I'm getting there.

RideDirt
    That's the exact same setup I wish to run , and hey it gives you a good workout on the climbs .... Sorry to be a bother to you but can I run my own chainguide ? Or does it have to be MRP to accommodate the MRP chainring ?

mtbr member
    I've recently been looking into the Middleburn RS7 - Lifetime guarantee. Light and strong.

mtbr member
    I think there would be no problem running any type of chainguide. I just went with the MRP so when I get stronger I can run up to a 36 tooth chainring with that chainguide.
    I ride a lot of rocks here so the bash guard has been working good.

TSC
    Buehliever
    - I have really liked my X0 cranks but I HATE how they hook together. It makes field servicing impossible.

- I really like the XT and XTR method of joining the two sides. It's super easy to pull apart and make replacing chain rings (or chain ring bolts) a breeze.

Interesting comparison from the RF site: http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/XC%20Double_RF.pdf
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    I think the new 2x10 XT looks good in black,
    The spider looks clean for a 32T single ring setup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommend me a crankset please ! :) on the chili-xtblk.jpg  

When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast