mtbr member

Recommend a 157mm rear hub for my Podium: Chris King not available :(

I ordered up a CK hub months ago, only to find production pushed back from Jan/Feb, to early spring, to April +. The first race of the season is April 5th. I need to be on the bike way before then.

Today I called the shop and cancelled the Chris King order, and ordered up some Hadley hubs, which will be in 2 weeks from today (they are doing blue now, and I think black is next). The shop tried to talk me into I-9 hubs. But, although they are probably the most bling hubs out there, they never resonated with me. Some people have had them and don't like them, so that adds to my concern of form over function. So, I think Hadley is a good choice. I was also thinking DT Swiss, but it seems I am paying more for shipping and import taxes than other things. Plus, Hadley is supposed to be second to none for customer service. Speaking of service, everything is supposed to be easy to work on as well.

Before my decision becomes permanent, does anyone have any additional thoughts on my dilemma? Maybe I should just run an adapter on my Azonic rim until the Chris King comes in?
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new frame! I should be getting mine this week and did the Azonic wheelset with shock spacers for the dropouts...Actually just one dropout as the 142 conversion kit has the larger adapter on one side. Thanks for the pics. I can't describe how excited I am!

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with my Hope Pro 2 Evo on my new Podium, and it's fairly cheap. Plus you could build it up now, then build up the CK later on when it's available and use the Hope as a back up?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I have owned Hadley, Chris King, and I9 wheels.

Based on engagement performance and feel, I prefer the I9s. I have beat crap of my I9s and they are still going strong. The I9 wheelset on my Delirium is over 5 years old, they are still true. These wheels have been to the parks, etc. I have I9s on my Podium and they are rock solid as well. Every year, I replace the bearings myself and the little pawl springs. I have been using the I9 rims.

I9 has been on top of all of the recent hub standards, I have drawer full of hub axles that are constantly evolving. I9 even has a replacement hub axle for the XX1.

Hadley and Chris King are also great companies. I prefer Hadley's mom and pop customer assistance. The engagement on the Hadley is a bit less than King or I9. I and some friends have had issues with King hubs coming loose requiring you to check them ever few rides.

There is a stiffness with the I9 straight lace with the aluminum spokes that make them different than the traditional 3X lacing. To me, the stiffness it is very recognizable and something that I prefer. Once you ride them, it is hard to ride different wheels because of this.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hadleys all the way. USA made, small business, great product. I sold my last set of CK HD wheels and moved to hadleys- I've one setup for trail (flows) and one for DH (some big azonics) and couldn't be happier. easy to work on, not too loud, just simple and trouble free.

Delirious Tuck
    What Dude said. I have 4 pairs of i9s in the stable, first pair coming in 2008 with my Delirium T, had to replace a rim, and lost a spoke in the messy-ness of post Hurricane Irene (also killed an XTR M985 rear d).

No problems, supreme convertibility, and they have awesome CS as well

King is great, but the convertibility doesn't stack to i9. Hope engagement is a tab slow. I haven't owned Hadley b/c I almost always come back to i9 (unless its a color option thing...)

Took less than a week to get the 157 axle in from i9... Can't wait for the frame.

mtbr member
    i'd stick with the hadleys. standard spokes (i know you can do that with i9, but their proprietary spokes are all that make them blingy to me so why go jspoke and i9?). king is always slow on new conversions and trends, great quality and their ring drive system is superioir to any pawl system including i9 imho.

hadley has 72 point engagement so just as fast as kings, a little slower than hadley, but it is a dh bike so no biggy there.

usa made, good cs, good anodizing, good machine work, easy to swap bearings and upgrade to ceramic if that's your thing. decent price and once they're on your bike and you're riding you'll forget all about them.

hope are decent hubs for the money and their 24 poe isn't as big a deal on a dh bike compared to a trail bike imo. a good cheap alternative but truthfully if it was me i'd just go hadley. i have hopes, hadleys and kings and all new wheels have been hadley lately

another plus for hadley is their ti freehub, iy's light and way more durable than anyones aluminum freehub. no gouges in it because of a cassette not on a carrier