Thread: rear axle play

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

rear axle play

I have an Endo that I'm running 2012 Mavic Crossmax ST wheels on, and the rear wheel has a slight amount of play. I first noticed this when I held the top of the rear wheel and as the bike leaned to one side I thought I felt a slight wiggle. So I grabbed the seat and put my palm on top of the rear wheel and wiggled the wheel left to right to confirm there was some play felt. I pulled the rear wheel off to check for play in the hub. There was no play. I mounted the wheel again and made sure the axle was very snug but the play was still there. I pulled the wheel again and put the axle through the hub and checked fro the play again, I found the play was coming from the axle to hub adapter interface. I measure the axle and hub adapters using a digital caliper. The axle measured 11.93mm on one side and 11.91mm on the other. The hub adapters were 12.20mm for one side and 12.22mm on the other. This is my first time running a 142 x 12 axle some I'm not sure if this amount of play considered acceptable or not. I posted this in the wheel and tire forum too.
    Last edited by Goinslo; 07-22-2013 at 01:36 PM.

MC MasterShake
    No amount of play is acceptable in my book. If it is indeed the adaptor you can probably get away with riding it but play normally means something is loose and will end up getting much looser and possibly damaging things the more you ride it. I'd run it by your LBS and let them take a look at it. Play and creaks can be hard to troubleshoot and often take someone else to look at them to help. I'd also check all the suspension bolts and shock mount bolts. I have a couple on my Chilly that don't seem to stay tightened and need to get loc-tit'd.

Knomer
    I'm sending you a PM with my email address. Send me an email with your phone number. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goinslo View Post
    I have an Endo that I'm running 2012 Mavic Crossmax ST wheels on, and the rear wheel has a slight amount of play. I first noticed this when I held the top of the rear wheel and as the bike leaned to one side I thought I felt a slight wiggle. So I grabbed the seat and put my palm on top of the rear wheel and wiggled the wheel left to right to confirm there was some play felt. I pulled the rear wheel off to check for play in the hub. There was no play. I mounted the wheel again and made sure the axle was very snug but the play was still there. I pulled the wheel again and put the axle through the hub and checked fro the play again, I found the play was coming from the axle to hub adapter interface. I measure the axle and hub adapters using a digital caliper. The axle measured 11.93mm on one side and 11.91mm on the other. The hub adapters were 12.20mm for one side and 12.22mm on the other. This is my first time running a 142 x 12 axle some I'm not sure if this amount of play considered acceptable or not. I posted this in the wheel and tire forum too.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Hi Goinslo:

I think we have received an e-mail from you already - correct?

Regarding your frame: the diameter dimensions you list for the frame rear axle are correct. There is a misconception that the 12mm rear axle is exactly 12.00mm in diameter - this is not the case. Typically, the axle would range between 11.92 - 11.96mm in diameter: this is because the axle needs to be able to slide through the HUB axle inner diameter. If it was 12.00mm, it would not slide, but would seize within the hub axle.

Regardless, once the rear axle is tightened correctly, the inside faces of the seat stay dropouts should clamp the ends of the HUB axle securely. If the FRAME 12mm axle is tightened correctly and there is still play, then almost with 100% certainty this will be an issue internal to the hub. Regardless, we'll ensure that we have received your e-mail and help you troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Kevin & Noel, thank you for the reply. Yes I did send an email earlier today, which Cavan answered and also noted there may be some hub issue. I just spoke with Kevin and he gave me a few good checks to perform on the bike when I get home later to help narrow down the cause of the play. I too also feel that the hub in some way may be the cause too. If the hub is the cause I have a Mavic dealer in the area that I can see about the problem. I know I've only got 2 rides under my belt on the Endo but I'm totally impressed by it, as are my riding buddies, and excellent customer service to back it all up. Keep up the good work. I told Kevin that I would be in touch with him tomorrow to let him know what I find out. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Good feeling having the guys take care of ya? huh?

I hope you can still ride until Mavic sorts this out for you, or you have an extra wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had a bit of play in what I thought was the rear axle. after a bit of chasing the problem around in circles inspecting the usual suspects it was only one of the torx fasteners for the der hanger that had worked a bit loose. Snugged up and problem solved.

Stupid simple, but behaved exactly like a loose hub with a tiny bit of lateral play with the wheel mounted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Noel, Kevin and Cavan, I performed the horse shoe test it was ok, I measured the width of the hub adapters is was 142.27mm, I did find the lower shock bolt needed to be snugged up. So it was narrowed to the hub being the issue. I tried to check it by hand off the bike and couldn't detect the play, but when I mounted it on the bike the play was noticeable. So I pulled the wheel again and tightened the hub bearings 1/4 turn and mounted back on the bike and there was less play, I repeated the process until the play was gone. You were right, the hub was slightly loose so it made it hard to detect it off the bike. I went to the local Mavic shop to have them check that what I did was ok. Everything checked out fine. Thank you. Keep up the superb customer service and making such great bikes! If anyone I know is looking to buy a new ride I will make sure they take a look at the Knolly line before they make their final choice on anything else. Huge thumbs up!!!