mtbr member

Quick! Talk me down.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the new Endorphin 27.5 but now I see all these other shortish travel, aggressive geometry 29ers taking the world by a storm like the Following, Process 111, Transition Smuggler, etc. They sound like a riot (Oh, and don't forget the Canfield Bros. Riot).

Then I got a chance to ride a Process 111 this weekend with 27.5+ wheels/tires and it kinda blew my mind. Stupid amounts of grip, low slot car handling, cushy swallowing of small and medium sized rocks, jaw dropping tech climbing chops and brap geometry.

Is there a chance, however slim, that Noel is working on something like this? I love the idea eventhough I'm not a 29er guy but I'd be all over this if there was a Knolly version in the pipeline.... except for the fact that I just got an expensive set of Atomik carbon 27.5 rims with CK hubs that I was planning on switching over to the Endo. Argh!

Talk me down!

Thank you. That is all.
    Last edited by KRob; 5 Days Ago at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm surprised the 29' wheels are playful. My friend tried the 29' specialized enduro and he says it was no good. Even though that bike won some awards.

I'm really curious about some 27.5 endorphin reviews. If you're going 29' can I have your 650B wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi KRob, how about new Endorphin 27.5 with some 26+ inch tires? This setup might give you similar results. But this is just my guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What about the new Intense short-travel 275 spider?
    Intense Spider Pro ? Review - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've got an Endo 27.5 on order. Also have a Kona 29er hardtail in the quiver that I really like (and will keep of course). There are lots of good bikes out there, every year they all get better. I'd advise waiting at least until a review comes out...taken with a grain of salt. I am guessing Noel and Company have looked at the type of things that make a ride great (for a trail bike) and are going at least one better because of the 4X4 design, shock tune on the Inline, and bike geometry. FWIW I'd wait.

Delirious Tuck
    KRoB do you have an Endo 26''?

I ask because to date the Endo 26 is just that bees knees, assuming Noel delivers improvement in a 27.5 form, I'm going to guess you'll get everything you're looking for in the Endo 27.5.

The following has really taken my interest, however, I think the intended use vs. what my Endo already does today, really creates too much overlap. And I love my Endo... so I'm thinking something completely different, like the Salsa Bucksaw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slavdo View Post
    Hi KRob, how about new Endorphin 27.5 with some 26+ inch tires? This setup might give you similar results. But this is just my guess.

Wait. What? Is that a thing? I'll be honest, I'd been oblivious to all this + business so haven't kept up......until I rode that 27.5+ Process. Time to do some research.

Not sure I am totally sold on the + sized tires but they definitely have some tangible advantages.

mtbr member
    I had the same impression of the Enduro 29. Really cool in some ways but not my cup of tea, especially when things got tight. This Process OTOH was a revelation. I still wouldn't call it playful, but it wasn't sluggish. The 27.5+ tires outside circumference is a half inch or so less than a 29", so maybe that's some of it. The 2.8" Trail Blazer tires are huge but not super heavy at 850gm or so which also helps.

It's just unsettling when something like that kinda resets everything from what you thought you "knew" after one quick test ride.

And, no tom34, you can't have my new carbon hoops. If I go with a 29" frame, I'm going to put some + tires on those rims and rock the fatties!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Be the Bike View Post
    I've got an Endo 27.5 on order. Also have a Kona 29er hardtail in the quiver that I really like (and will keep of course). There are lots of good bikes out there, every year they all get better. I'd advise waiting at least until a review comes out...taken with a grain of salt. I am guessing Noel and Company have looked at the type of things that make a ride great (for a trail bike) and are going at least one better because of the 4X4 design, shock tune on the Inline, and bike geometry. FWIW I'd wait.
    Well thankfully, I'll have to wait since the Endo's not released yet and I don't have cash in hand either. I'm sure Noel has the new Endorphin sorted. Just starting to vacillate a bit after that eye-opening demo.

I'm (relatively) sure if I could ride the new Endo things would be clear again. I'm hoping I can get a demo this Spring sometime. I've got a pm in to Dusty so hopefully we can work it out.

mtbr member
    I don't and have only one short test ride on one, but I have taken note of several people's comments about the uncanny perfection of the current Endo including yours and ti'SSer's. Like I said above, I'm convinced this new 27.5" Endo is going to be something special.

Looking forward to the early reviews when they start arriving, but won't be satisfied until I can throw a leg over one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    KRoB do you have an Endo 26''?

I ask because to date the Endo 26 is just that bees knees, assuming Noel delivers improvement in a 27.5 form, I'm going to guess you'll get everything you're looking for in the Endo 27.5.

The following has really taken my interest, however, I think the intended use vs. what my Endo already does today, really creates too much overlap. And I love my Endo... so I'm thinking something completely different, like the Salsa Bucksaw.

All bike, all the time
    Have to agree with KRob's OP. It's getting really chaotic out there with the onslaught of slack 29ers. Word on street is that BIKE Bible reviewers put Following at top of their list, altho they couldn't say that (not sure why, but...) I have trouble believing these raves but they've been consistent so far. Wish they'd been around for Outerbike...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    I think you could get close to the feel of the plus sized tires with a wide rim and 2.4 tire. I have been impressed with the extra rim width on the 40mm wide Derby rims on the Warden. Running a big standard tire like the Ardent 2.4, 2.35 Schwalbe's, or 2.4 Trail King on these rims results in a tire that can be run at low pressure and still have sidewall support. With suspension, this type of tire and rim set up is a step in the right direction without getting away from standard parts.

I do like where things are going with the plus sized tires. I have a rigid Surly ECR and the 29+ really shines on that frame. Also plan to upgrade the 26 Endorphin with a wide wheel set and either 2.4 Trail Kings or Surly Dirt Wizard 2.75's. I will post more on that when I can get the parts together.

Do you have the Atomik wheel set built yet? If not, maybe a rim change will accomplish what you want to do?

Bubba
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Wait. What? Is that a thing? I'll be honest, I'd been oblivious to all this + business so haven't kept up......until I rode that 27.5+ Process. Time to do some research.

Not sure I am totally sold on the + sized tires but they definitely have some tangible advantages.
    Here's the only current offering I know of. I think the tire makers are all still trying to figure out which of the + sizes to get after. I've got access to a wheelset with Rabbit Hole rims and Dirt Wizards and I'll try to check the fit on my Warden at some point to confirm it should work. I don't think the Endorphin will have much less clearance if any out back.

Wheels | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Unit 91
    I can tell you, if I wasnt 6'4", didn't already have all the parts for a 29er, and the Following never came out, I would be in line for the new Endo 27.5. I had an Endo 26 and it absolutely ripped. I should have never sold the frame to fund my Chili, but you live and you learn.

I say wait it out for the Endo 27.5.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Yeah, hard to ignore the buzz. In the hard copy of Bike's bible of bike tests, each tester does pick their favorite bike and two or three picked the Following and all the others (except the girls) mentioned it being near the top of their list. Very intrigued by this bike...... but still feel like I won't go wrong with the Endo. Be nice to ride them both back to back on the same trails over the course of a day or two before deciding.

Unit 91
    On another note, if Knolly made a 29er like the Following, I'd sell whatever I own at the time to buy it. There's just something about a Knolly...
    Bikes

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    On another note, if Knolly made a 29er like the Following, I'd sell whatever I own at the time to buy it. There's just something about a Knolly...
    +1...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    +2...

mtbr member
    +3..... I think. At least that's kinda my dilemma right now. I think a year or two on the new Endorphin won't hurt because I bet it will be at least a year before we see a Knolly "The Following" (Fugitive??) if ever.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a lot of different bikes, holding off for the new Endorphin to probably replace my 5Spot Rode a couple 29ers. Never really liked them much. Although I really liked the Czar. I'd would like to put leg over that Evil for a spin.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    +3..... I think. At least that's kinda my dilemma right now. I think a year or two on the new Endorphin won't hurt because I bet it will be at least a year before we see a Knolly "The Following" (Fugitive??) if ever.
    "The Refugee"
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    "The Refugee"
    I like it. Nice Tom Petty reference too.

Just roll it......
    So many good bikes out there these days. I know a couple of Evil guys riding the following who are total converts.... FWIW, I've not ridden the Process 111, but did ride a proto carbon 134 and it was pretty mind blowing.

I'm sure Noel has something on the horizon of equal (or better!), but timing is everything.

EB

mtbr member
    I think the sweet spot would be a Knolly 29er with 157mm rear dropout spacing and tire clearance for 27.5 x 3". This would add some versatility and gain stiffness for the 29" wheel. Keep the travel in the 110 to 120mm range and it would make a nice compliment bike to the Warden.

Bubbba
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sounds sweet @ 135-140mm travel.. for me, the small air shock 29r @ 100mm rear travel doesn't quite gain enough, almost rather go with a slack hardtail