bump and grind

Push or Avalanche?

I have a new to me 2011 Endorphin. This bike simply rocks!
    It came with a DHX Air and while it was an acceptable shock, I was missing some of the coil shock plushness and performance. I have a spare DHX 3.0 coil to play with, and while somewhat better than the DHX Air in plushness department, it was having a hard time keeping up and was packing up after repeated hits (rebound is full open already). And it has nothing in the way of a pedalling platform.

While the Endo already rides nice with either shock, I really have this feeling that I'm missing out on its true potential with a proper shock tune.

Im thinking of sending either of these shocks for a revalve/tuning. Push and Avy come to mind.

While I hear that Avy is simply the best, Avy doesnt offer work on the DHX 3.0 (coil). Push can work on the DHX 3.

Im generally partial to a coil shock and by no means am I a weight weenie. I ride my Endo as an All Mountain trail bike that sees both long XCish climbs and tight rocky downhill runs. Id rather be among the last up the hill as long as Im one of the first down it.

With that, Im torn between:

1. Sending the DHX 3 coil to Push for the MX Tune. ($289)
    2. Sending the DHX air to Avalanche. ($199++)

Anyone with experience with either or both?
    Turner Burner 650b, Knolly Endorphin, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B
    ...so far...

Biking Like Crazy!
    You didn't mention your weight. If you are a "bigger" rider you might want to go the coil option. Good to know that Push finally got the MX tunes again.
    I had a DHX 5.0 pushed w/o the MX tune and it was okay. I sent it to Avy and Craig made it work well on my single pivot DH bike.
    I also have a Avy'd DHX Air 5.0 on my Chilcotin and think it's the real deal. Great mid range support which was fault with the stock DHX Air.
    To bad Avy doesn't work on the DHX 3.0. Either option will be better than stock.
    Last edited by blcman; 07-31-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

bump and grind
    Thanks, blcman. I suspected as much. Im around 185 ready to ride.
    ...so far...

Knollician
    I'd give Craig a call and ask him. He is very partial to coils, and I wouldn't be surprised if he told you to go the way of the MX tune. Craig has a fair amount of experience with Knollys now, so he would be able to tell you what you gain/lose with either option. And who knows, maybe he has a solution for the DHX 3 that isn't listed on the site.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2 View Post
    Thanks, blcman. I suspected as much. Im around 185 ready to ride.
    I sent my DHX Air to Avy for a rebuild on a SC Nomad and it really improved the bike's rear end performance. Craig was easy to deal with and I would do it all over again without a second thought.

I'm 175-180 without gear.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We can use a donor DHX 5/4 piggyback housing and converted shock will be able to accept our SSD mods. We also offer a revalve for the DHX 3 for $159 with no adjuster option.

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by crseekins View Post
    We can use a donor DHX 5/4 piggyback housing and converted shock will be able to accept our SSD mods. We also offer a revalve for the DHX 3 for $159 with no adjuster option.
    Now thats an excellent response. I guess my question is answered.
    ...so far...

ಠ_ಠ
    I have a Chilcotin with a 2009 DHX 3.0 that I found on eBay for $100. Pretty sure it was OEM taken off a Giant Reign. It rode poorly on the 2008 Endorphin. It was my first coil shock, surprisingly it actually felt like the bike had *less* travel. After several months, I sent to Push for the MX-Tune. I was very impressed with the results.

I upgraded to the Chilcotin last year and carried over the shock. It rode just okay, so I sent to Push for a re-tune; it came back better than ever! It's amazing what a good shock can do to enhance a bike. Based on my experience, I say Push is an excellent option.